The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best alarm for less than $150

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    I4betterthanUR4

Best alarm for less than $150

Alright, so my friend hooked me up with an alarm. Hell yeah I was thinking until I realized its pretty outdated and its missing a wiring harness which I cannot find anywhere online. Being poor I don't expect much from this alarm at that price. I plan on doing the install myself (Don't tell me to get it done professionally, I've already done a ton of research and doesn't seem like rocket surgery )

So all I want/need is:

Trunk and Hood sensors
    Door sensors and knock sensor
    at least 1/4 mile range (would prefer more)
    and a remote that will actually get my attention when the alarm is going off

Don't care for remote start. Would also like a glass break sensor and a engine kill option on the remote but I'm not picky. I would just feel better knowing something was going to go off if and when some one breaks into my ride. Thanks all.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    do you plan on getting it installed professionally or doing it yourself?

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I4betterthanUR4 View Post
    I plan on doing the install myself
    Here's your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    well, anything made by dei are very good and have some of the latest technology. and you could pick up something on ebay within your price range. viper, python, hornet, and a few other brands are in thier lineup. all of which are overall the same alarm just rebranded.

I4betterthanUR4
    Quote Originally Posted by fatal1 View Post
    well, anything made by dei are very good and have some of the latest technology. and you could pick up something on ebay within your price range. viper, python, hornet, and a few other brands are in thier lineup. all of which are overall the same alarm just rebranded.
    Yeah I was just wondering if there was one someone would highly recommend because they use it and they like it. So just looking for some personal opinions. Thanks though.

Thanks man I'll do some research on those.

Well here is the big thing most ppl dont realize, 95% of car alarms r made by 2 main companies dei is one of them (i cant remember the name of the other one).

a good standard full alarm that locks and unlocks doors with hood and trunk sensors is only around 60 dollars u.s. for the alarm itself, all the rest u pay is generally the installation cost.

i know this cuz this is what i do for a living

now when installing the alarm make sure u find a good unusual place to put the brains, no matter how far under the dash u try to put it thats still gonna be found rather fast if ur car is broken into. if u have time try to put it behind the radio or even better somewhere in the center console
    Last edited by SHOSMOKIN193; 06-12-2010 at 04:46 AM

I4betterthanUR4
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOSMOKIN193 View Post
    Well here is the big thing most ppl dont realize, 95% of car alarms r made by 2 main companies dei is one of them (i cant remember the name of the other one).

a good standard full alarm that locks and unlocks doors with hood and trunk sensors is only around 60 dollars u.s. for the alarm itself, all the rest u pay is generally the installation cost.

i know this cuz this is what i do for a living

now when installing the alarm make sure u find a good unusual place to put the brains, no matter how far under the dash u try to put it thats still gonna be found rather fast if ur car is broken into. if u have time try to put it behind the radio or even better somewhere in the center console
    Thanks, I was going to put it way up in the dash maybe behind the gauge cluster or something. I'll make it as unconventional as possible.

DEI, Compustar, Audiovox, and Crimestopper are the main players in aftermarket security systems. There are a few smaller outfits and offshoots of the 4 I mentioned. For mitsubishi/chrysler vehicles. I try not to go with dei since their tach monitoring logic tends to be overly finicking as to where you get your tach source from. Since you didn't mention wanting a remotestart though the feild is completely open. Anything from those 4 manu will do you fine. As stated though the security system is only as good as it's weakest link. In this case that would be the installation.

If you're worried about the car being stolen, then having a system with multiple redundant point of immobilization would not be a bad idea. As was mentioned before locating the brain of the system somewhere difficult to reach is the first step. Me, I prefer behind the gauge cluster in an 8g. Plenty of space to fab up a mount back there. THe next issue is making sure the alarm wiring is indistinguishable from the factory wiring. To make this easier the best route is to plan the install. Locate all of the required wiring, then map out the most efficient route to the location. Making sure that the aftermarket wiring follows factory wiring as much as possible. One final thing that many installers and shadetrees over look as well is the mounting of the Valet switch. Most people put them in basically the same location in the drivers kick. Not really effective when all a theif must do is jump power to the igniton wire and then hit the valet button. There are of course a couple ways to combat this.
    1. First off, if the alarm system has the option to change the number of button presses to deactive the alarm then by all means change it. The manus that I mentioned all have this feature and it can be changed to anything from 1-5 pulses to some actually offer an override code where the button must be pressed a specific number of times then a delay and pressed again.
    2. The second way to combat the insecurities of the valet button is just to hide the damn thing. Instead of putting it in the drivers kick or behind the fusepanel door. Put it on the passenger side of the dash.
    3. This one takes a bit of ingenuity. Don't use the valet button at all. The manus I mentioned their valet button is a 2 wire button. One wire is +12v and the other is the input that the brain monitors for an input. What you'd do in this instance would be to hook that wire up to a switch in the vehicle that shows +12v when its pressed. In the case of my car I tagged it to the down button on my power mirror switch. Your can use pretty much anything though, just need to be creative.

Wow I can't believe I typed all that. I'm tired.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.