The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fog Light Mod?????

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Fog Light Mod?????

Does any1 know how to mod the fog lights so they can be on anytime the parking lights are on?????????
    2002 Galant ES
    Pearl White
    OEM Spoiler
    Cleared Corners, Blue Parking Lamps
    Hyper-White Headlights
    10 min intake
    TB mod
    Painted valve cover
    Ractive MT 226 Universal Muffler

Re: Fog Light Mod?????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fast02Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does any1 know how to mod the fog lights so they can be on anytime the parking lights are on?????????</div>

Yes it can be done. New manual switch in car and some rewiring under the fuse box in engine bay. Sorry don't have link to that tutorial.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Tiller

Re: Fog Light Mod?????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fast02Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Does any1 know how to mod the fog lights so they can be on anytime the parking lights are on?????????</div>

Yes it can be done. New manual switch in car and some rewiring under the fuse box in engine bay. Sorry don't have link to that tutorial.</div>

you need a new switch...? that sucks...

it should be simple as some re-wiring... shouldn't it...?

the OE foglight switch is a momentary on switch connected to first the ECU then the foglight relays. the 3G guys have the same problem. since the switch does not itself hold the circuit closed (the ECU does), simply rewiring from the switch will not make it work correctly. i may pull my whole dashboard out to figure this one out since i am getting new foglights for my bumper and want to use the stock switch (wich may need to be modified now).

No, because the switch for the fogs is electronic, hence not really a switch. It just sends a signal to the foglight relay. That's why you need a new switch.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

You don't need a new switch. I wired mine up so the fogs are on anytime the parking lights are. I figure I never really drive with them off, so why mess around with switches? The factory switch in my setup is defunct now. The instructions are in a tutorial written by an Eclipse owner that was posted on the old board. The colors didn't match up, but it's not that hard to figure out.

Pull the fuse

I found out by mistake by pulling out the fuse for low beams (actually I blew the fuse).

You could run a switch to these two fuses to turn your low beams off at any time so you can use the fogs with the parking lights.

<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>Fuse to the low beams - Inside the engine compartment</span>

Circled in yellow and the 1 above it. The fuses to the left are for hi beam.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Strahan)</div><div class='quotemain'>You don't need a new switch. Â*I wired mine up so the fogs are on anytime the parking lights are. Â*I figure I never really drive with them off, so why mess around with switches? Â*The factory switch in my setup is defunct now. Â*The instructions are in a tutorial written by an Eclipse owner that was posted on the old board. Â*The colors didn't match up, but it's not that hard to figure out.</div>

yeah you could do that but now you can't tun the fogs off... that's what the new switch is for. i want to keep the abiblty to turn them off so i may modify the stock switch and bypass the ECU / stock relay. i leave this project for the next time i get some free time and am bored enuff to do it. i'll let u guys know what i did after i get it to werk.

sheefo2k
    can someone give us like the easiest tutorial..

or if anyone know anything on how to step by step
    thanx

Or if you dont feel like messing with it yourself..

Goto the dealer and pay them $40 to hook it up for ya...

(which is what Im going to do, I really dont want to mess with the wiring... still under warranty)
    2005 TGC Fantasy Football Champ III
    http://www.Gencoupe.com/garage/3337

cdaw2001ES
    What you all need - is a latching relay.
    Pules one - It's on, pules again - It's off.

I'll be doing this soon , I'll hook you up with a complete how to.

JT

Yea I did it without a switch, just wired the fogs to the parking lights. Alwasy drive with them on anyway.

I think there are a few posts out there that deal with the same subject.
    Chapin y Boriqua que mezcla

The only thing you can do is try to find a real switch to replace the stock momentary switch and one that will fit directly in that stock location perfectly. Any yeah, you still have to run your own wires. I even went so far as to take apart the front ECU to try and see if there is a relay circuit I could work with. The whole damn thing is in a resin and couldn't really make out the circuitry as that thing was crazy. Rewiring is definitely safer than messing around with such an expensive part so back to the drawing board I went.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

cdaw2001ES
    The switch - I belive - simply pulses to gorund.
    With a small circuit , (4 2SA transistors, a few caps, and a few resistors), and a 30 Amp relay. Presto - you can use that switch for whatever you want. Just depends how you wire the relay, you can make it normally om, normally off, momentary, whatever. Just cut and terminate the wire from the ecm. There is another relay in the fuse black, you can tap in there and control it all with low amperage, and get factory fuse protection.

Give me a chance to do it, I'll post pics, and stuff.
    I build electronid do dads all the time.

Tiller
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeGalant
    Or if you dont feel like messing with it yourself..

Goto the dealer and pay them $40 to hook it up for ya...

(which is what Im going to do, I really dont want to mess with the wiring... still under warranty)
    yo, if you take it to the dealer, get back to us, and let us know what they tell you... I'd love to have this done as well, but if the dealer won't do it for me, i'm not touching it...!

A friend of mine did my foglight mod..he didnt use the fusebox he went straight from the battery to the foglight to the extra switch and it works fine..
    <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:23pt;line-height:100%'>ROD T
    Sgt/USMC</span>
    Highly motivated, truly dedicated, hard charging, professionally trained,</span>

rumpl_forskin
    I went to the dealership and asked them to do it, and they said no. First it would void the warranty to mess w/ the electrical circuits. Second, the service manager said his guys wouldn't know how to do it. they only know how to fix what is broken, according to the manuals. Needless to say, I still haven't done this.