The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G(4g64) Turbo options...

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

8G(4g64) Turbo options...

So i have been doing alot of research lately. talking to local speedshops and guys i know who are experienced with turbocharging. For the most part i have come to the conclusion that it is expensive and most likely will cost upwards of 3 grand. Obviously the cheaper the more desirable however the idea of getting what you pay for certainly comes into play here, nobody wants to spend alot of money and get a piece of crap.. Being a do-it-yourselfer who has done the 5 speed swap, coilovers, and a lot of random other things to my galant, of course i want to take it to the next level and turbo it, which i feel it so desperately needs and is now prepared for.

I came to TGC to ask for all of you experienced turbo guys' advice. and before anybody wants to bash me ive read the forums, as well as searched them, so if you feel like preachin about that you can take a walk...

Ive been perusing the web for various inexpensive kits for a few months now, as well as exploring the options i have with just collecting compatible parts and building as i go.

Fastwayracer.com advertises a kit for about a grand

http://www.fastwayracer.com/search_b...2003&x=76&y=12

That is the link to it above.

I sent it to a guy who works at a local speedshop to get his opinion, obviously he is not a fan of these "discount" kits and he did not really support it, telling me it was likely that various parts could break and "it may or may not work well."

Has anybody used this kit??

I am considering buying it simply because it is inexpensive, installing it all myself, and then taking the car to Excelerate performance in Branford ct and having them do the fuel system, custom downpipe, and tuning (all of which i expect to cost around $1500). And if anything breaks, i can always replace it with a better quality part right?

That puts me at a total cost of $2500 for my galant to be turbo'd. This is my price range.

Any advice, constructive criticism, or experienced knowledge would be well appreciated.

I love TGC and it has helped me with so many of my projects, i really hope it can help me figure something out with this whole turbo project, i would love to have it done this summer

You could also just go on evom and find deals on evo8 turbos. It would be a better option to build your on turbo kit with proven parts because that way you won't be replacing things within a few weeks. You can also find deals on other mitsubishi turbos like a 16g and so on. At the end of the day it's your decision though.

look at the sticky in this category labeled how to turbocharge you 4g64. It will tell you what fits. The kit will need custom work. You can probably piece the kit for cheaper. What you need is in the guide i pointed you toward. Youll need Fuel parts, Turbo parts, Exhaust parts and an engine management at the least. Most of this can be had from a Lancer evolution 8 or 9. The turbo is your choice you can with a mitsu flanged turbo or go with a Evo 8 or 9 stock turbo to start. Thats the cheaper route but it is very reliable. As I said look at the guide as it details very useful information on what will fit from what cars and so on.
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Thank you, i have read your sticky and its extremely informative and helpful. I think i am going to go the route you suggest, piecing things together. I cant seem to find anyone who has actually used this kit so im not going to take the gamble.