The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: top speed limiter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30

top speed limiter

i am trying to find out if any1 out there has any idea on removing or overriding the speed limiter aka "govenor" lol. its annoying n just keeps me frm really seeing where i can max out. desperate for answers of advices or suggestions so get back at me.

it's there for a reason. Plus, I highly doubt your car is stable/safe at those speeds.

2 things I can advise you:

1.) Modify the suspension and brakes to handle high speeds properly.
    2.) I hope you plan on doing this at an actual track. Doing this on a public road would simply be idiotic.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

blue8g
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    it's there for a reason. Plus, I highly doubt your car is stable/safe at those speeds.

2 things I can advise you:

1.) Modify the suspension and brakes to handle high speeds properly.
    2.) I hope you plan on doing this at an actual track. Doing this on a public road would simply be idiotic.
    x1,000,000,000

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    A kid i know did that with his Grand Am and he blew his transmission lol, needless to say he was an idiot

actually i already have a set of rims n tire set in my eye sight just waiting for da note to get paid off, second i do plan on installing slotted rotors with premium pads n shoes. and finally well ive gone racing on both street and drag before but i want to be able to go and compete on 1/4 miles tracks. theres nothing like the feeling of joy and proudness of knowing that you can actually go up against a v6 possibly a v8 lol

does any1 know about this ecuflash, cause ive been reading some threads reagrding this and from my point of view it seems like ppl are sayin that u can tune ur galant ecu wit this EcuFlash

no need to override the speed limiter, our cars wont go past 100mph in the quarter with the mods youve done so far. worry about that later when start doubling or tripling your horsepower. just the honest truth
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txreaper View Post
    actually i already have a set of rims n tire set in my eye sight just waiting for da note to get paid off, second i do plan on installing slotted rotors with premium pads n shoes. and finally well ive gone racing on both street and drag before but i want to be able to go and compete on 1/4 miles tracks. theres nothing like the feeling of joy and proudness of knowing that you can actually go up against a v6 possibly a v8 lol

did i miss something? lol usdm 8g's are uber slow

just cuz vr4 have stock turbos that doesnt mean u cant get a 8g 4g64 running just as fast or even more, so i wudnt count on judgeing a car just by its appearance or name. just saying

I didnt kno our cars came with limiters on em???...i dont think mine has one..ive got it up there pretty good
    2001 Mitsubishi Galant-Totalled..=(
    1987 Cheverolet IROC-Z Camaro-TPI 350
    1989 Nissan 240sx-built SOHC-Trade for Honda
    1999 civic Hatch B20vtec- current
    Lookn for galant to build. .

^ I've had mine up to 127ish... BUT I HAD SPECIAL PERMISSION FROM LOCAL SHERIFF, and he clocked me on an empty blocked off road....

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

rims and tires don't exactly make your car ready. Also, drilled and slotted rotors won't make much difference if they are still the stock size. Needless to say, you won't need to worry about any top speed unless your 4g64 is turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by galantman03 View Post
    ^ I've had mine up to 127ish... BUT I HAD SPECIAL PERMISSION FROM LOCAL SHERIFF, and he clocked me on an empty blocked off road....
    Yea mine was about 125...WAAYYYY out in one of those "No one will even be close to sight" places...since ive got 17"s an huge tires now..it wont do it again....But my point is why would some have a limiter an some not..jus ranges from different models and years?? I guess.
    2001 Mitsubishi Galant-Totalled..=(
    1987 Cheverolet IROC-Z Camaro-TPI 350
    1989 Nissan 240sx-built SOHC-Trade for Honda
    1999 civic Hatch B20vtec- current
    Lookn for galant to build. .

IIRC, 4cyl Galants were limited to approx 128 and V6 models were around 138. I may be wrong but somehow I think that's what I read a few years ago.

blue8g
    just cuz vr4 have stock turbos that doesnt mean u cant get a 8g 4g64 running just as fast or even more, so i wudnt count on judgeing a car just by its appearance or name. just saying
    Dude we all know the potential of the 4g64, what you don't realize is that removing a limiter will not make your car accelerate any faster.........There is ZERO chance of your stock 8g reaching 128 in the 1/4........or even 100 lol

I like the 4g64 alot but in stock form its pretty well worthless, it's a 2.4l yet it's only putting out 110ish whp.....that's awful

The auto is a pos for performance......

If anyone disagrees with my post please correct me

Experienced TGC Member
    does any1 know about this ecuflash, cause ive been reading some threads reagrding this and from my point of view it seems like ppl are sayin that u can tune ur galant ecu wit this EcuFlash
    EcuFlash will do absolutely nothing for you unless you have performed some serious work to the engine. Even with a simple intake an exhaust done you will get very little gain in performance from those parts, or even with a tune.

Even with a tune, you will never reach the speed limiter in the 1/4, not unless you are spraying or running a turbo. Even if you wanted to remove/raise the speed limiter, what is the point/purpose? Unless you are road racing a closed course at a minimum of 90mph consistently and the engine is built to run in the higher RPM and speeds...then it is completely useless.

FYI, even the V6 platforms don't mess with the speed limiter...and that includes those racing the 1/4.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

This thread reminds me of Bloody Arro's first thread on how he wants a governor so he could limit his speed to 75 mph.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    This thread reminds me of Bloody Arro's first thread on how he wants a governor so he could limit his speed to 75 mph.
    That is more reasonable for some of these people...but I think 55 is a "fair" number for beginners

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    Dude we all know the potential of the 4g64, what you don't realize is that removing a limiter will not make your car accelerate any faster.........There is ZERO chance of your stock 8g reaching 128 in the 1/4........or even 100 lol

I like the 4g64 alot but in stock form its pretty well worthless, it's a 2.4l yet it's only putting out 110ish whp.....that's awful

The auto is a pos for performance......

If anyone disagrees with my post please correct me
    wow couldn't of said better myself....reaper do us all the favor when you "have the feeling of joy and proudness of knowing that you can actually go up against a v6 possibly a v8" and watch them disappear into the distance...please do it on the track lol
    Last edited by 02redgalant; 06-16-2010 at 12:05 AM

This is a good response to you keeping up with a v6 or v8 right now

Quote Originally Posted by VegasMatt View Post
    I had my car up to 212 MPH.

Then I woke up in a cold sweat and a big smile.

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    roflcopter.

The 8G 02-03 is limited at ~118mph clocked on gps. OP like the other said your car is slow...my car is slow, most of our cars are slow. Stop racing on the streets...and unless you're doing 1 mile or 1/2 mile drags on a track there is no reason to worry about the limiter right now. In autox or a real track you most likely wont hit over 100. Tires and brakes don't prepare your car to go fast so get that out of your mind. I am lowered on wide tires and have sway bar up front, but I dont think by any means it is safe for me to do certain speeds except in a closed off area. I prefer whipping a car around a corner at 30 then trudging past 110 very slowly. The human body doesn't feel constant speeds so if you want an adrenaline rush go out to a track where that shit belongs doing 30-40 around cones. If you have a death wish then keep it away from everyone else. Because you keep racing on the streets you will make a mistake and at best you will kill your car at worst you will kill someone else and you're somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    galant doesn't really have a top speed. its just gets cut off when u hit the rev limiter at last gear, either it be 90 mph driving agains the wind of 200 falling off a cliff...
    PS. The ecu limits fuel at the speed governor whatever year you got 99-01 is 127ish I believe and 02-03 like I said is 118 with our shitty ecus. When you have the power with your 4g64(most likely turbo) you will need new fuel maps with a standalone or piggybacked ecu which can also remove the limiter.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 06-16-2010 at 12:10 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast