The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Five speed swap help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 50

Five speed swap help

Me and bsilver23 were working on the trans part of the 5 speed swap when we came across these problems. Main one is we couldnt get the bolt off the trans as pictured below. Also we couldnt get the passenger side axle out but we did get both bolts out. Help! We are going to try and get a breaker bar in there tomorrow just looking more for suggestions of what other people tried and had some success with. (hint: its the bolt the socket is on)

use a longer bar to make more torque one of you hold it on the other lean on the long bar. The torque should loosen it up well enough for it to eventually be able to be done with a regular 1/2'' drive when reinstalling clean all bolts and holes and antiseize each bolt. I swear by that shit.

As for the axles I believe you just need to get them to loosen up there is probably alot of dust and grime seizing it in place. You may need to take a torch to it. Be gentle, but the heat may give you some extra room to get it to budge.

This is just general automotive experience, I would wait for someone with specific experience with swaps to reply saying yay or nay for my methods.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    My breaker bar wouldn't fit in that awkward position (yes.. it's very awkward.. especially with the distributor in the way) SO I used a piece of metal pipe that we have from an old vacuum cleaner. That metal pipe has served us well when it comes to giving us more leverage :)

as for the axle, do you mean it won't come out of the hub? or the transmission

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    My breaker bar wouldn't fit in that awkward position (yes.. it's very awkward.. especially with the distributor in the way) SO I used a piece of metal pipe that we have from an old vacuum cleaner. That metal pipe has served us well when it comes to giving us more leverage :)

^^ both lol

for the transmission side:
    You know that little emergency jack kit in the trunk? it has the two-piece lug wrench thingy. Use the pry bar end of that one piece to get the axle out of the transmission. Gotta wedge it between the axle and somewhere on the transmission. That worked for me.

Hub side:
    rubber mallet is all I can say. That, or using both people, find the "sweep spot" of the angle or whatever of the entire assembly that allows the axle to slide the easiest. Spray some PB blaster or WD-40 for good measure.

and another question for you guys:
    did you guys remove the water housing? It would make the swap a WHOLE lot easier once you're trying to put the 5 speed in. I didn't take it off and I still don't know how I managed to get the transmission correctly mated to the engine. A lot of angling with our engine hoist I guess

actually the axle is out on the axle side but it is still stuck in there on the transmission side. although the first couple threads on the axle where it goes through the hub got messed up cuz my friend banged it out with a hammer, so now i have to file it down or something
    Bryan - TGCWI - 6g72 5 speed

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3376567

and another question for you guys:
    did you guys remove the water housing? It would make the swap a WHOLE lot easier once you're trying to put the 5 speed in. I didn't take it off and I still don't know how I managed to get the transmission correctly mated to the engine. A lot of angling with our engine hoist I guess
    we did not remove the water housing, but that should help a lot if it is off...i have no idea how to remove it, however.

ill be there to today bsilver23^^

oh nice, this will help you for when its time to do yours

exactly :) except your v6 correct? not to much of a diff but..

got a spare clutch fluid resevoir or shifter cables?????? lol

yeah im a v6, i dont have any spares sorry ha, but i do have an extra brake pedal

I used a 1/4" ratchet and a 14mm socket to take the bellhousing bolts out. They shouldnt be giving you a hard time at all.
    Last edited by 4g63lover; 06-17-2010 at 07:34 PM
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

you need help?? haha i can come help sometime this week

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by bsilver23 View Post
    we did not remove the water housing, but that should help a lot if it is off...i have no idea how to remove it, however.
    You won't need to remove it.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    You won't need to remove it.
    how in the world did you mate the transmission to the block? My transmission kept hitting the water housing where that little "U" on the top of the bellhousing is. It was nearly impossible to maneuver it around the water house without hitting the pressure plate or the K frame

I have no idea how it went together so easily. My engine was sitting at a pretty steep angle though. And something funny that just came to mind. Remember when I called asking how the transmission is supposed to come out? I missed a bolt on the bottom of the bellhousing. My friend and I were giving each other shit about that bolt for the longest time afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    I have no idea how it went together so easily. My engine was sitting at a pretty steep angle though. And something funny that just came to mind. Remember when I called asking how the transmission is supposed to come out? I missed a bolt on the bottom of the bellhousing. My friend and I were giving each other shit about that bolt for the longest time afterwards.

were you still able to get that one you forgot about on the bottom easily or did you have to approach it in a different way since all the top ones were already out?

Yeah, it was right out in the open on the engine side.

did you just use a 14mm socket?

2 of the lower ones are on there pretty dang tight

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast