The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cut springs...

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

cut springs...

i know some will probably bash me for the thought of it but has anyone on here cut there springs before and if so how many coils?? pics would be great too.... thanks

i did but that's only because i had one of the first lowering springs made for the USDM 8G (yes i said first, they were a pre-producion prototype for H&R making mine among the first lowered USDM 8G's on aftermarket springs) and there were no other springs made for the 8G at the time (1999, the 3G eclipse was not even out yet). i wanted to go lower than the H&R springs dropped my car so i had a shop cut 1 coil at each wheel. i would never do it again because there are so many options now (at least 7 different springs available of varying drop and stiffness) that there is no need to, and cutting springs is always risky, especially stock springs; aftermarket springs are stiffer and have more load capacity so cutting them a little will not bring them as close to failure as cutting the same amount on stock springs... but cutting either is still pretty "unsafe". heating coils w/ a torch is just as bad btw.

basically if you can't at the very least afford to use dedicated lowering springs (cheapest way to lower your car), don't bother dropping it at all.

i know there are many options available now for the 8g and coils will def be something i will be looking to do in the near future but as a temporary fix i was looking to do that. i saw an 8g the other day and it was low so i stopped him to find out whether he had springs or coils and he said that he was on cut stock springs. looked good but bouncy as hell.

then just wait until you can afford lowering spring/coilovers

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Im sorry but I hate people that cut corners for the sake of the look. You can buy some used Megan lowering springs for about 100 bucks. Is your life not worth that???

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Im sorry but I hate people that cut corners for the sake of the look. You can buy some used Megan lowering springs for about 100 bucks. Is your life not worth that???
    with you 100%

You can do some major damage to the car or yourself if you choose to cut your springs. Please do not try that, and do things the right way. If you dont have money than save up, other than that buy lowering springs and do things the right way or youll end up killing yourself and hurting other people.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

was just a thought. thanks guys. will not be cutting me springs.

mods can shut this thread down