The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car Bogging down under boost?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 78
    Thanks guys, i'll cut down the gap then.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Picked up the gasket kit, this is all i should need as in seals correct?

13 GTR

I would say gapped at .028 dude
    My Mk4 is like a Black Hole you enter in it and who the hell knows what'll happen next???
    I sure don't, do you?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Yeah Ron thats the gasket. Piece of advice, it might be a PITA removing the old gasket, if it is, just take your time and get it ALL OUT. Get some gray RTV silicone and put a few little dabs of it in the gasket groove on the valve cover, it will help hold the gasket in place when you flip the valve cover over to install.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Thanks for the tip stewi, 1st time removing the valve cover. figured this is something easy i could tackle instead take it to the shop. Thanks for the help guys!
    13 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    Thanks for the tip stewi, 1st time removing the valve cover. figured this is something easy i could tackle instead take it to the shop. Thanks for the help guys!
    yeah the last SOHC valve cover I removed from an 8g was GoldGalant-REBORN's car. It took me about 45 minutes to get all the old pieces of valve cover gasket out of the valve cover because it was stuck, I ened up using a small flathead screw driver and a torch to heat it up.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

After 30 mins I got the valve cover off! You were right about it being stuck on, luckly walmart was 24hrs and I got a rubber mallet. Few questions:

1. Is it better just to install the spark plugs while the valve cover is off already? Should I use any grease on the threads?

2. Tube seals, do I just put dabs of rtv so they stay in place? My current seals, two are on nice and tight, while the other two were just loose which explains the oil on this plugs.
    13 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    After 30 mins I got the valve cover off! You were right about it being stuck on, luckly walmart was 24hrs and I got a rubber mallet. Few questions:

1. Is it better just to install the spark plugs while the valve cover is off already? Should I use any grease on the threads?

2. Tube seals, do I just put dabs of rtv so they stay in place? My current seals, two are on nice and tight, while the other two were just loose which explains the oil on this plugs.
    1. It doesnt matter when you install the plugs. I would use some anti-sieze on the threads of the plugs and dont over torque them.

2. Yeah you can put a few dabs of RTV between the tube seal and the valve cover to hold them in place when you install it.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Do I let the rtv fully dry before putting the cover back on?
    13 GTR

No just apply the rtv, push the gasket into place and the tube seals into place, wait like 10 minutes and install it.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

So just updating the thread, after i replaced the plugs/gaskets the car started to act normal. The bogging went away, until today. 1/2 throttle 55mp, the wide band went very lean and car bogged, which then i let off the peddle and re-applied and went away. couple miles later, the car went rich and bogged. I have no idea what's going on, ill see on my ride home tonight what happens. Ill re-pull the plugs, but any other idea's whats going on

Video of the initial start up after new plugs:
    Last edited by IceDouTGaLanT; 07-18-2010 at 02:22 PM
    13 GTR

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Sure you didnt blow off an intercooler pipe? If not, and no vacuum leaks, you need to check for spark on each plug wire.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    Sure you didnt blow off an intercooler pipe? If not, and no vacuum leaks, you need to check for spark on each plug wire.
    +1

Another thought is the tune. I have a few bad spots in my base map that the car bogs down and if I let off it and get on it again its gone.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I checked all the connections & clamps on all pipes. Stewi, i had the same tune for over 2 years, maybe it might be time to get it re-tuned?

On the ride home, car sputtered veryy badly to a point where i had to go 20mph all the way home, another cell P0303, pulled all the plugs no oil nor anything wrong. Im going to check for spark like seth advised. Here are few vidz, maybe you can get a better understanding. It sucks, the shop I used to use moved to cali, nothing close by besides nj/nyc. 1st time in the 10years of owning this car, it really caused me an issue, im hoping its something minor which i can tackle. I also like to say thanks to you guys, since im lost and your my gateway to get this car back on the road.

The ride home:

13 GTR

ron you have the E-Manage blue right?

maybe it's shit the bed. i remember people back in the day had issues with them loosing their tune. just a thought

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Ron does your wideband have a hookup to connect to a PC? If it does, program it so the gauge displays AFR changes every 1.5 -2.0 seconds. It will prevent the gauge from being so crazy going up and down while your driving, it will still show the correct value, it just wont be flickering all the time.

It could be the tune, the emanage could be bad, it could be a cracked intake manifold causing a massive vac leak. I would try doing a boost leak test first before I got into re-tuning and stuff. Maybe try swapping out the ignition coils if someone is local to you that you could try theirs to see if thats the issue. To me, the way it sounds in the video it sounds ignition related. Igniton probs could be the emanage, coils, wires, TPS sensor, a loose wire on the cam or crank sensor, etc.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

How are your EGTs? One time this past winter, I had a similar problem to yours. I couldnt go faster than 30 mph, AFRs were 16+, EGTs were 1400+. I parked the car and the next day it was "better" but but far from good. My problem I think was the weather was getting colder. I tuned around it and now that its summer, my tune is still OK.

Maybe its time to go Evo 8 ECU. I have a spare on sitting on my desk right now you can have for free. (just kidding Jesus!!) It belongs to galantfan88. lol

I did not checked the intake manifold for cracks, good call. ill go through the list you posted and see if anything helps. Qnz, egts were all normal. It has been very hot in DE compared to last two years, maybe a re-tune is needed after i check the other possibilities you guys posted. I need to look into the evo ecu, see if its something i can tackle or not
    13 GTR

Brian, you wanna take a ride out to Delaware this weekend? Its 2 hrs from NYC. Not too bad.

that be a life saver! gas+tolls+food on me!
    13 GTR

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast