The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: YES, I am a total n00b but its my first question!

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    joyrider03

YES, I am a total n00b but its my first question!

Hello all,

Just got an '03 ES two weeks ago. I had some 18x8s that I put on there but it seems the suspension will need more work.

As I understand it, the front is basically a shock absorber and coil spring together into one unit called a strut. The back also uses struts but are different that the front struts. How are they different?

I am looking to lower the ride but want to also replace the bushings and other rubber in addition to the struts and then add a stabilizer bar on the front.

Can someone help a n00b do some suspension shopping? I am not sure what all I need and what are good prices.

This is what I have found so far:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=310225598622

Thanks in advance, and yes I am a total n00b! LOL

Joyrider

you can either go with a separate buy of buying lowering springs (look at tein or eibach for lowest) and buy a replacement shock (kyb gr2's or kyb agx, the agx are adjustible on stiffness and camber i believe) or buy full out coilovers, with are an already pre assembled adjustable full suspension peice that is adjustable on height and stiffness and everything.

look at some build threads on here and look at what "drop" you like best

joyrider03

Thanks

Uhmmm .... appreciate the reply. But I was hoping that the url that i included was in fact the whole tamale minus the rubber mounts and stuff?

Is that deal not a good buy? Can someone let me know since I am about to put a bid on it!! Hahaha

Thanks again,
    Joyride

url out of date buddy..

my reply was of general purpose since there was nothing for me to look at with an out of date url.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzzo29 View Post
    you can either go with a separate buy of buying lowering springs (look at tein or eibach for lowest) and buy a replacement shock (kyb gr2's or kyb agx, the agx are adjustible on stiffness and camber i believe) or buy full out coilovers, with are an already pre assembled adjustable full suspension peice that is adjustable on height and stiffness and everything.

look at some build threads on here and look at what "drop" you like best
    KYB AGX are only adjustable for rebound and compression (both adjusted together). KYB GR2 are not adjustable.

coilovers consist of the damper and matched spring(s). depending on the design or features, coilovers are adjustable for ride height, preload, rebound, compression and front camber (if they have pillowball upper mounts w/ camber plates).

joyrider03

OK this is the URL info

Its a matched strut and spring ...

"These are brand new in the box a set of 4 ( 2 front 235630-235631 STRUTS , 2 Rear 341293 STRUTS ) KYB GR-2 struts / shocks and 4 Vogtland (951104) high performance German made Lowering springs with a 1.5 inch drop FRONT AND 1.4 DROP REAR, to fit 1999 to 2003 Mitsubishi Galant models."

For $337 + SH .... ?

What do you think? Is it worth the buy?

Thanks again,
    Joyride

^ not bad of that price but searching can find you other combinations (like GR2/Teins, GR2/Eibach etc) and the cost are equal or under $400 w/ shipping included depending on the application. Vogtland springs are fine it just doesn't give an aggressive drop like others but if that's what you're looking for then more power to you.
    Last edited by G-spot; 06-19-2010 at 02:09 AM