The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Motor Swap Questions, complete donor car swap

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    red4g64

Motor Swap Questions, complete donor car swap

Hi, can anyone direct me to a thread about some one doing a complete swap from a donor car? I have tried doing some searching but haven't come up with alot on the subject. I would like to take a 4g63T out of an eclipse with its trans and everything if possible and put it into the galant. Has anyone done something like that? thanks for your help.

Your looking at the wrong engine it won't work. You need the 4g63T out of an Evo 8.

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    First off before you start buying engines and tranny's and alll those fancy stuff...might I ask if you have any experience in swapping motors at all? Reason why I ask is because you need alot of experience in motors on how to do things like this or its nothing but a wast of time bc something will break and kill the motor or put your own life in danger. It takes time to learn how to swap a motor if its your first time, and I recommend you not to do anything unless you have someone with you that knows what they are doing.

To answer your question: To do a 4g63t motor swap, you are ganna have to use the Evo 8 motor to make it work. Also the 3g 5 speed tranny bolts right up to the Evo motor but you can also use the Evo tranny, but your not ready for this Mod at all since thats going to require alot of cutting and modifying. You would also have to change the ECU...Stock Evo ECU will do fine. There are many many threads on this topic, you have to really search this bc I dont wanna repeat something thats been already done by many. I would do alot more research before really getting into this...good luck

Also make sure you really have the money for this job bc its going to cost alil since there is some work and rewiring that’s needs to be done.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    First off before you start buying engines and tranny's and alll those fancy stuff...might I ask if you have any experience in swapping motors at all? Reason why I ask is because you need alot of experience in motors on how to do things like this or its nothing but a wast of time bc something will break and kill the motor or put your own life in danger. It takes time to learn how to swap a motor if its your first time, and I recommend you not to do anything unless you have someone with you that knows what they are doing.

To answer your question: To do a 4g63t motor swap, you are ganna have to use the Evo 8 motor to make it work. Also the 3g 5 speed tranny bolts right up to the Evo motor but you can also use the Evo tranny, but your not ready for this Mod at all since thats going to require alot of cutting and modifying. You would also have to change the ECU...Stock Evo ECU will do fine. There are many many threads on this topic, you have to really search this bc I dont wanna repeat something thats been already done by many. I would do alot more research before really getting into this...good luck

Also make sure you really have the money for this job bc its going to cost alil since there is some work and rewiring that’s needs to be done.
    x2. You couldn't put it in any better wording than this.

red4g64
    Ops! I asked about the wrong motor. Its just a 4g63, not the turbo version. Sorry I am looking at a 2nd gen eclipes and it has the cam gears on the passanger side of the car, like my galant. So thats why im asking about a donor car. I have read about the evos, and the sonata heads but i would like to find a wrecked car and take what i want off it for my swap. I have read about the trany swaps as well and so thats what brought up my question. Could i just find a second gen eclipes where everything i've seen in pics seems to be in the right place and use it.

And to answer your questions about my experience I have done alot of swaps in american musle cars, and I am a machinist / welder so as far as fab goes the sky is the limit really. I have just been tring to figure out what the best route to go would be to have the finished car Im working toward. The end result i would like is to have it turboed. Thanks for your help.

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    What year Galant do you have?

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

red4g64

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    there was never a second generation Eclipse that had a non-turbo 4G63... I don't think. You either had the N/A 420A in the RS and GS, the 4G64 in the GS-Spyder, or the 4G63T in the GS-T and GSX. I have no idea of how the 420A will bolt up to the Galant's transmission, but I hardly think that it's an upgrade from the 4G64.

red4g64
    Ok this is what i am looking at, here is the link to the donor 1997 eclipse RS that i want to swap the motor and transmission, http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=0&n...iew&ad=2659899,

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    you want to spend the money to fix up a blown 420A and swap it into the Galant? I wonder how/if it bolts up to our transmission. I think an Evo DOHC headswap would be more beneficial?

red4g64
    I want the tranny out of the car as well. Then I get my five speed. So It would be the motor mounts and tranny mounts that would be important, if im looking at it correctly. Do they match the galant mounts?

this swap is a no go the 420a is junk really the 4g64 is a much better starting ponit and its easier to do the 5spd swap using 00-05 eclipse 4 bangger tranny look for one in the jy

one more question what do you have 7g 8g 4cyl 6cyl all need to know info on this swap

red4g64
    8G 2001 Galant ES 2.4L, 4g64

dont bother nothing is the same mount locations are a bit diff. wire harness is all diff. and the 420a is a step back.

420gay ROFL.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

red4g64
    Interesting, thank you for your help.