The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tranny problem not found searching

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Tranny problem not found searching

I have a tranny issue in a new car I purchased.
    Od button doesn't light up dash OD light
    either on or off.
    When driving the car doesn't go into overdrive but like the other no overdrive problems the car doesn't go slip into neutrol just doesn't go into overdrive.

Now the strange part: If i turn the overdrive button on the car will shift into what I believe to be second gear or first at about 50mph when it should be going ino over drive almost locking up the frontend?!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

well first off your post is a bit confusing to read. You will get shit for that...just a warning. I think you have what the "overdrive" is and how it works. As far as the light being out...change the bulb. When you are driving and you push the button and the car revs like that....the over drive is working! The button is labeled kind of backwards. When the button is on...overdrive if off or something to that effect. But if the car acts like you are saying when you hit the button....it works fine

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Its a common problem for the OD end clutches to wear off.

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/ec.htm
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I don't think you understand my post. Probally my fault. The car IS NOT going into over drive. 55 mph = 3800 rpm, that is not overdrive.
    And turning off overdrive regardless it should go into third gear.
    If I turn the overdrive ON it will go 1st 2nd 3rd then around 50mph it will drop into what feels like first or 2nd and lock up the tires and jump to 6500 rpm.
    With the overdrive off it will just go up to third like it should and not try to go into overdrive causing the violent front tire lockup.

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Its a common problem for the OD end clutches to wear off.

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/ec.htm
    But why the violent downshift when it is aupposed to go into overdrive?

well thats why. worn end clutches

Id install a bigger transmission oil cooler to keep temps lower, it helped my car big time when it was auto. Stock ones tend to leak around the banjo bolts and there goes the tranny.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

but shouldnt it try to engage fourth the slip if the clutch plates are gone?
    Seem like it just wouldn't engage or do the slip into neutral not drop into second or first I cant tell wich because it is so violent! I figure it would slip in fourth and just stay in third.

First of all the car is a 4 speed automatic so....if you are cruising and you turn on the over drive its only going to go down a gear. Second....at 55 3800 is about right WITH the overdrive on. The gearing in the trans is mot the greatest and it sits at higher rpms than one would like. The violent down shift as you put it is because you dropping to a lower gear meant for pulling at higher speeds. Why the hell would you hit that button anyways on the freeway except to pass another car?

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"