The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car sputtering...

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Car sputtering...

Hey guys, just checking if you can point me in the right direction on what to check.

My car (95 Galant LS) sputters when in park or when at a stop...it sputters and wants to shut off, and has on occasions. The RPM jumps up and down from 100 to 300 RPM, and when I turn on the AC, it's a guaranteed shut down. I never get any check engine lights or anything...so I can't check it electronically. To me it sounds like the engine is starving of gas at idle. Any ideas?

Also I've had to gently keep my foot on the gas when at stop sometimes to keep the idle up so the car won't shut down...any harm in that?

dude, almost the same thing is happening to my car but it happens when i put it in reverse...

Quote Originally Posted by KOF27 View Post
    Hey guys, just checking if you can point me in the right direction on what to check.

My car (95 Galant LS) sputters when in park or when at a stop...it sputters and wants to shut off, and has on occasions. The RPM jumps up and down from 100 to 300 RPM, and when I turn on the AC, it's a guaranteed shut down. I never get any check engine lights or anything...so I can't check it electronically. To me it sounds like the engine is starving of gas at idle. Any ideas?

Also I've had to gently keep my foot on the gas when at stop sometimes to keep the idle up so the car won't shut down...any harm in that?
    highly unlikely its starving. its very common issue with 7g and its because of worn off seals on TB shaft and fast idle part of the TB.

Use the BISS screw and try to raise the idle a bit to about 1000. Do not go over 1200 at idle and the transmission in Park because it will hit fuel cut at idle. The fuel cut at idle is 1200 rpms by factory settings
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Hey mko, thanks for the advice. Did what you said and it worked somewhat...allot better then it was though. I also noticed that with the higher idle at a stop, the AC stays cold! pretty cool in the Texas summer.

Started up the car today and the rpm gauge is still fluctuating around 200-500 at a stop...but just the gauge, the car like I said is running better.

Change plugs and wires

Maybe your IAC motor is on its way to crapping out

i would clean out the throttle body and iac. then i would reset the computer and let it re-learn everything( the comp relearns by disconnecting battery for 15min, reconnect and start car. let it idle for 15min w/out touching the gas or any accessories). i had the same prob w my 8g and this is wut fixed it.