The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: high - low HIDS

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

high - low HIDS

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

those headlights are dual beam; H1 low (outside pair) and H1 hi (inside pair) right? you cannot use a hi/low kit (h4) in those; u need an H1 HID kit for the lows and a separate H1 HID kit for the hi's (if you want HID hi beams, if not just use regular H1 bulbs). refer to my "JDM HEADLIGHT" tutorial for the relay trick (or if you are using relay harnesses, the diode trick) to keep the low beam on when the hi beam is activated (all four beams on simultaneously).

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    those headlights are dual beam; H1 low (outside pair) and H1 hi (inside pair) right? you cannot use a hi/low kit (h4) in those; u need an H1 HID kit for the lows and a separate H1 HID kit for the hi's (if you want HID hi beams, if not just use regular H1 bulbs). refer to my "JDM HEADLIGHT" tutorial for the relay trick (or if you are using relay harnesses, the diode trick) to keep the low beam on when the hi beam is activated (all four beams on simultaneously).
    Yeaaa.. exactlyy.. so when I put high beams.. id be so that the hid highs, and the projectors go on.. I don't know if you can put hids in the projectors.

Also how do I set up the high beams on those hids? Is my diagram right.. and how about connecting the bulbs? U can see what I'm talking about as far as the last few piks

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

Quote Originally Posted by bobmundo123 View Post
    Yeaaa.. exactlyy.. so when I put high beams.. id be so that the hid highs, and the projectors go on.. I don't know if you can put hids in the projectors.

Also how do I set up the high beams on those hids? Is my diagram right.. and how about connecting the bulbs? U can see what I'm talking about as far as the last few piks
    huh?

of course you can put HID in the projectors. if you want HID low beams and HID high beams you will need 2 COMPLETE H1 HID kits (4x ballasts/ignotors, 4x H1 capsules); one pair for the low beams in the projectors and one pair in the high beam housings. the bulbs (HID capsules) connect to the corresponding ballasts. to get them to operate like dual beam (low beam stays on when high beam is activated), you need to either do the relay trick or the diode trick if you are using full relay harnesses which draw power directly fron the battery.

the triple LED's and halos can be wired to whatever you want depending on how you want them to function (signal, parking, independent switched).

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    huh?

of course you can put HID in the projectors. if you want HID low beams and HID high beams you will need 2 COMPLETE H1 HID kits (4x ballasts/ignotors, 4x H1 capsules); one pair for the low beams in the projectors and one pair in the high beam housings. the bulbs (HID capsules) connect to the corresponding ballasts. to get them to operate like dual beam (low beam stays on when high beam is activated), you need to either do the relay trick or the diode trick if you are using full relay harnesses which draw power directly fron the battery.

the triple LED's and halos can be wired to whatever you want depending on how you want them to function (signal, parking, independent switched).
    ooohhh okaysss...

I currently have HID regular H1s... so can i through those in the high beams.. and then have the Hi4s in the regular... and so.. the regular light will be both regular, and switch to high.. and have the regular HIDS in the Projectors?

I'm reading through your article...

and so is this basically what you are saying

connecting the HIGH part of that HID, and the projector to both the high beam section of the 3 prong.

the only problem is that i have no idea how to connect the high part of the bulb.. i showed you the 2 extra wires that apparently need to be connected to make it work.. i tried these on the balasts i already have in the car.. and they work on regular.. but not high.. i plan to put the H1s i have in the projectors.. and the HIGH LOW HIDS that i just got in the regular slot...

thats what i think you mean?

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

ooohhh okaysss...

I currently have HID regular H1s... so can i through those in the high beams.. and then have the Hi4s in the regular... and so.. the regular light will be both regular, and switch to high.. and have the regular HIDS in the Projectors?
    NO. that is not what i am saying at all. you can not use an H4 bulb (capsule) in an H1 housing, ever. the projectors headlights you bought are H1 low projector and H1 hi housing, right? so you need 2 H1 HID kits... i think i said that multiple times.

I'm reading through your article...

and so is this basically what you are saying

connecting the HIGH part of that HID, and the projector to both the high beam section of the 3 prong.

the only problem is that i have no idea how to connect the high part of the bulb.. i showed you the 2 extra wires that apparently need to be connected to make it work.. i tried these on the balasts i already have in the car.. and they work on regular.. but not high.. i plan to put the H1s i have in the projectors.. and the HIGH LOW HIDS that i just got in the regular slot...

thats what i think you mean?
    there is no hi part of the bulb on an H1; it is only single filament, not hi/low. you cannot use any bulb size that is not H1 in those projectors.

return the hi/low HID kit you got, you bought the wrong one and you can not use it.

you need 2 H1 HID kits to have both low and high beam HID on those headlights.

read my posts over again. you are confusing yourself.

Yea man... you are completely riight I think... damn... wow... I think what I mean to say was that it was bixenons.. which I don't think I have... pretty sure you are right man... but shou?d I connect the high beam prong to the regular one and the high beam one... and just out of curiosity... don't both HIDs have about the same intensity?

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

let's define terms so that we are speaking the same language.

bi-xenon - an HID kit or projector that has both low and high beam in one unit. the change in beam pattern from low to high is accomplished by either moving the HID bulb (capsule) or by a movable shield.

hi/low - and HID kit that has a low beam HID and an additional bulb on the same bulb base that turns on for the high beam.

since the projector headlights you bought use H1 for low beam and another H1 for high beam in a separate refelctor (dual beam headlights), you can use neither bi-xenon nor hi/lo in either (H1 is only one filament). if you wanted to have bixenon on the outside pair that are currently H1 low, you would have to do a projector retrofit (replace the low beam projector w/ a bi-xenon projector).

oo.. okay.. wow.. i completely just got learned... i think I'm going to install the second HID kit.. Put the ones i have now into the projectors for the high beams.. and put the new ones for regular.... but tagain.. considering both are HIDs... how would the intensity differ as far as the HIgh beam/ low beam?

also... to have the regular beam on the same time as high.. i would do something like this?

http://img194.imageshack.us/i/newjj.jpg/

but now what confuses me is... i feel like the bulb has both high and low...
    http://img43.imageshack.us/i/pict0035rq.jpg/

cuz then what do i do with these wires...

http://img200.imageshack.us/i/pict0034aj.jpg/

and where would i even connect these.. this is on the bulbs end..
    http://img199.imageshack.us/i/pict0031copy.jpg

and would i be right about the daylights?
    Last edited by bobmundo123; 07-02-2010 at 02:34 AM

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

oo.. okay.. wow.. i completely just got learned... i think I'm going to install the second HID kit.. Put the ones i have now into the projectors for the high beams.. and put the new ones for regular.... but tagain.. considering both are HIDs... how would the intensity differ as far as the HIgh beam/ low beam?

also... to have the regular beam on the same time as high.. i would do something like this?

http://img194.imageshack.us/i/newjj.jpg/

but now what confuses me is... i feel like the bulb has both high and low...
    http://img43.imageshack.us/i/pict0035rq.jpg/

cuz then what do i do with these wires...

http://img200.imageshack.us/i/pict0034aj.jpg/

and where would i even connect these.. this is on the bulbs end..
    http://img199.imageshack.us/i/pict0031copy.jpg

and would i be right about the daylights?
    ok let's get back to basics because you are way ahead of yourself.

intensity has nothing to do with being a high beam or low beam. a low beam is designed to light up the road for normal driving conditions; as such it is also designed to have an upper cutoff in order not to blind oncoming traffic. additionally, low beams are aimed slightly down to avoid blinding other drivers. here is what low beam projectors looks like lighting up a wall:

notice that light does not leak above the cutoff line... if it did, you would be blinding everyone in front of you. also notice there is a slight "kickup" to the right on each low beam... that is to light up road signs and the right shoulder (in a left hand drive (LHD) car where you drive on the opposite side of the road, the kickup would be to the left). depending the design of your projectors, the cutoff line may be shaped slightly different and the cutoff may be sharper or more diffused. the outside pair of main lights on your new headlights are your low beams (mandated by law in the US).

high beams are designed to throw as much light as possible as far down the road as possible w/o concern for an upper cutoff. this is why you do not drive with your high beams on with other drivers ahead of you. here is what high beams look like shining against a wall (actually this is a pic of both low and high on simultaneously since i couldn't find a pic of just high beams):

notice that the light is not nearly as controlled. they are called "brights" because they appear brighter to anyone in front of your car compared to your low beams when they are looking at your lights from above the cuttoff level of your low beams.

think of your low beams lighting up everything below driver eye level and your high beams as lighting up everything above driver eye level; TOGETHER they light up both above and below driver eye level... if your low beams turned off when your high beams were activated, you would not be able to see anything right in front of your car below the highbeam pattern, that is why they have to stay on.

so to review, in a dual beam headlight, the low beam is used for normal night driving but when it is especially dark or you need to see further down the road (and there are no other cars in front of you), your high beams will throw that light above the low beam's cuttoff. the high beams simply add to the low beams in order for you to have better visibility. so even though they may both be the same intensity, they light up different areas... the hi beam could even be less intense than the low beam and it would still be very apparent when they are activated because of the lack of upper cutoff.

now reread my earlier posts and they will make more sense.

OOO.. OKay.. I completely undertsand now... okay... I'll Just put two seperated HID's in eah housing in that case then. Wow.. okay.. thats makes a lot of sense.... wow.. i feel more retaeded than usuallll... okay so should i just ignore the second set of wires? thats confusing me quite a bit, and the daylight.. i think that im right about...

Wow.. i really should of thought about the diff between between that.. really straight forward. Sorry for being like.. a noob.... I really appreciate your help.....

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production