The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Coilovers 101

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Experienced TGC Member

Coilovers 101

Ok well Im trying to properly set up my coilovers. All 4 corners have been adjusted and setup evenly left to right. But my biggest question is how do I determine the correct amount of preload that is supposed to be on the springs. They are the stock springs that came with the megans. As of right now I only have a small amount of preload on the springs, when the car is jacked up and the only pressure that is being put on the springs is that from the adjustable collar I can rotate the springs by hand. It take a little force but not too much. Its not like the spring is just sitting there free. So can someone please teach me? Im taking the car to a performance shop on the 19th of this month to have it corner balanced and have a professional alignment done. Before then I would like to learn a little more on the correct way to do this so I dont look like an idiot when I go there.

Also before then I plan on installing a rear camber kit so I can take a little camber out of the rear, replacing steering tie rods and ends, as well as installing prothanes full kit on the car.

Thanks
    Fred
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Hopefully this helps you out bro
    With linear springs:
    When you put the weight of a corner of a car (probably around 700lbs) over your spring it compresses to absorb that weight. With 400lb spring, it will compress about 1 3/4". So, if you start with the lower collar so that it is just tight enough to hold the top of the spring against the upper perch this would be 0 preload. Raise the collar 1 3/4", and you now have 700lb's of preload. (arbitrary #'s for the sake of illustration.) Since you have preloaded the spring, the same weight as the car's corner, when you put the car on that spring, it will not compress at all, and will simply sit on top of the spring. If you were to hit a bump, the force would still compress the spring the same amount it normally would if you had set the spring to 0 preload. Now if you set the spring to say 900lbs of preload, when you hit the bump (say its a bump that generates around 250lbs of upward force), the spring will compress much less b/c the spring is already beyond the load specified to absorb the bump. Since there is only 50lbs beyond the preload, the spring will only compress about 1/8th inch, and the car will likely be launched over the bump.

You will likely never ever preload a spring beyond the weight of the corner of the car it is on for that exact reason. Springs are there to absorb bumps, if there are any bumps at all, this is a bad idea.

What good is preloading the spring then?

It can provide you with more suspension travel in certain situations. In the ideal world, having the spring at 0 preload would place the piston inside the shock exactly halfway through it's stroke (middle of shock) once the car's weight is resting on the spring. This is almost never the case. by preloading the spring, you can adjust the amount of rebound, or compression travel you have in the shock. If you preload like 200lbs, this will give you more compression travel, and will help keep your car from bottoming out when cornering. You have to be careful though, b/c you don't want to sacrifice too much rebound travel, or you could cause all sorts of other problems.

Progressive springs:
    With progressive springs, preloading the spring does all the same things as linear springs, but it also increases the initial rate of the spring. So say you have a spring with a 200lb/in initial rate, and a 400lb/in max rate. (all progressive springs are rated this way.) Preloading 200lb's will compress the spring just under 1". Since the rate goes up with a function, it will have increased to probably somewhere around 250lb/in by the time you reach a 200lb preload. So now your initial rate is 250lb/in, with a max 0f 400lb/in.

You will likely never deal with this though, b/c very few coilover systems come with progressive springs, and remember you can't preload without adjustable spring perches. (coilovers)

Martin

Oh, and getting cornerbalanced and a good alignment will do wonders for you, just make sure the toe is taken care of because it will eat tires like none other much worse than negative camber.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Experienced TGC Member
    OOOOOOO very helpful martin. Thanks. Hmm wonder how much preload I need to put on the springs. :?
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

I'm at 200 all around on mine and I like it. Just play with it and see what you like
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

you dont need any just take the slack out of the coil and simply adjust the ride height to where you want it which you have done already. the suspension shop is gonna change all your settings anyway so dont feel like an idiot, we all start somewhere.

i dont know much about the rear camber kit but i do know that the bushing kits are a huge pain in the ass to install. some say there worth it but honestly in my opinion just having a coilover kit is makes a world of difference, i have JIC's and the few times ive been at the track my car has been so tight around the corners that i dont think having bushings would improve my driving, im actualluy to busy trying to stay on line lol. ide rather put that money to a set of tires or brake pads. i think all you need is a good set of coilovers and you have that covered.

which shop is doing your suspension?

Experienced TGC Member
    As for tires I have direzza star specs, brembo evo conversion with hawk pads. So my brakes and tires are good to go :D

Experienced TGC Member
    Oh yea and Im goin to IAG performance in westminster MD.