The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: thinking pistons 2.4dohc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

thinking pistons 2.4dohc

Was going on y'all today i was stopping around for pistons for the dohc 2.4 setup and i found something i didn't really think of this but evo9's piston's but i have Eagle H-Beam 's rod's. What would make u feel better about your bottom end if u was looking for piston's.

TGC Regular
    Dude please take your time and use grammar!!!

Ok! Do u think that evo9 pistons are cheaper and will work just as good as other aftermarket one's.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    aftermarket rods need aftermarket pistons. please remember the pistons from the evo are NOT the same size, they are smaller. save up and get manley or wiseco pistons.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

yea i know but what im saying is do they work if they 15% lighter than oem 2g's i think if i read right on here : http://www.thedsmgraveyard.com/product_p/n1110b076.htm

Look what they are saying is that the 4g64 has 86.5mm pistons the evo or 4g63 has 85mm therefor do not fit in our block what you would need to do is decide which head you are going to use since the evo head increases c/r and the kia head decreases the c/r then find the best piston to put your motor in the range you want.

TGC Regular
    If you are using the 64 block you will not be able to use Evo pistons.. just like how you cant used eclipse pistons. The pistons for the 63 motor are wayy too small to fit into our block.. What you can to if you want to increase your strength is get some aftermarket 64 pistons and you can use Evo rods.. They are lighter and ALOT stronger! I hope that answered your questions. I have a tough time answering questions for you because you run everything together are it doesn't make any sense. It gets frustrating so please from now on just take your time and type out your questions properly and make proper sentences please.
    Thanks

Yeap. plus im going for a 87mm pistons and the bad part is trying to find a better turbo.

go for some 86.5 CP pistons (standard).thats what im running on mine.once the blocks homed out and cleaned for these pistons you will have your 87mm.(lol just learned this).i have these pistons on eagle rods and car ran great

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtorque View Post
    go for some 86.5 CP pistons (standard).thats what im running on mine.once the blocks homed out and cleaned for these pistons you will have your 87mm.(lol just learned this).i have these pistons on eagle rods and car ran great
    What I was trying to tell you in the PM is you CANT DO THAT. If your final bore is 87mm, your piston must be the same size, you dont order the piston a half millimeter smaller than the bore. Thats also why I said to bring your pistons to the machine shop so they can match the bores right. Tolerances in engine building are checked down to .0001 Thats one ten thousandth of an inch. So lets say you have 3 pistons that are dead nuts 87mm which is 3.4252" and then one piston is 3.4261. Your not going to bore all 4 cylinders the same bore if one piston is .0009 larger than the other 3. Look for pics of engines in process of being assembled, you will see the shop numbers each piston and rod, thats because each one is fit to its own cylinder, its own wrist pin and its own crank journal, it needs to be done like this because its the RIGHT way. If not it will fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

If i run 8:5:1 with a (Turbonetics) T04B do u think that i will have little more tq than a stock evo 8. Im sorry to ask.

how much boost are you going to run. you could have that setup and be nowhere near the stock power and torque of an Evo. Not to be mean, but looking at your questions and what you are trying to do....it doesnt sound like you understand enough about the project. It might be safer to do more research before you try to boost the car....you'll have your engine longer...idk, just my opinion after reading this whole thing

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

TGC Regular
    ^ agree 100% !!!!

LOL yeah ok. but I'm be running about 15psi daily driver and track 31 psi. A lot of people told me that 31 psi is pushing it. With out the right type of tuning i have blueprint my project more than 10 times over the last to years and read a lot of your post here only thing that hold me back is money.

TGC Regular
    If the only thnig that was holding you back is money then you wouldnt be asking questions like this.... If you knew soo much about your motor then you would know that the bores are completely different....

ya just run 31 psi on the stock suspension and stock wheel do what i do your better off entering a burnout contest, unless your interested in lsd diff built tranny built motor built everything. im running 12 psi daily on a flawless tune and have a 273 daily driver stock bottom end stock sohc head 14b with 450s. u dont need to spend money to make power u need spend time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    What I was trying to tell you in the PM is you CANT DO THAT. If your final bore is 87mm, your piston must be the same size, you dont order the piston a half millimeter smaller than the bore. Thats also why I said to bring your pistons to the machine shop so they can match the bores right. Tolerances in engine building are checked down to .0001 Thats one ten thousandth of an inch. So lets say you have 3 pistons that are dead nuts 87mm which is 3.4252" and then one piston is 3.4261. Your not going to bore all 4 cylinders the same bore if one piston is .0009 larger than the other 3. Look for pics of engines in process of being assembled, you will see the shop numbers each piston and rod, thats because each one is fit to its own cylinder, its own wrist pin and its own crank journal, it needs to be done like this because its the RIGHT way. If not it will fail.
    Im not trying to start a argument but i feel this is kinda on the false side, the diameter of the piston could be off more then .001" and the engine would be fine im pretty sure even if they where like .010 of you would still be fine. Im just saying this because you gap your rings to fit the bore and all the ring gaps are like .015-.030 and the rings are there to keep everything moving smoothly, the piston dia is critical but to a point. Yes 4g63 pistons will not work in a 64 block and no you are not going to end up hoaning out 1mm of material, at most when hoaning you will take out a few thousandth's and that's about it, if you bore the cylinder out then yes you can take out as much as you please and match them to the rings that you gaped for the piston that is going in.

Brian if i read what you where saying wrong im sorry i know you know your shit.
    Last edited by Galant306m; 07-08-2010 at 01:16 AM

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by XXL4G64 View Post
    Was going on y'all today i was stopping around for pistons for the dohc 2.4 setup and i found something i didn't really think of this but evo9's piston's but i have Eagle H-Beam 's rod's. What would make u feel better about your bottom end if u was looking for piston's.
    If you are going to do a 64 block you will need 64 pistons, yes the rods from a 63 and 64 are the same but the stroke of the crank is different and so is the bore

Ok! Do u think that evo9 pistons are cheaper and will work just as good as other aftermarket one's.
    NO

yea i know but what im saying is do they work if they 15% lighter than oem 2g's i think if i read right on here : http://www.thedsmgraveyard.com/product_p/n1110b076.htm
    NO

Yeap. plus im going for a 87mm pistons and the bad part is trying to find a better turbo.
    Just run stock dia you will be fine with them otherwise if the cylinder taper is really bad you and you need a bore they sell over sized rings to fit, remember when they bore out a cylinder they only take out enough to get rid of the taper

If i run 8:5:1 with a (Turbonetics) T04B do u think that i will have little more tq than a stock evo 8. Im sorry to ask.
    No you will loose torque with lower compression especially on the bottom end the only thing you will gain is that you can rev the engine out further and run higher boost.

LOL yeah ok. but I'm be running about 15psi daily driver and track 31 psi. A lot of people told me that 31 psi is pushing it. With out the right type of tuning i have blueprint my project more than 10 times over the last to years and read a lot of your post here only thing that hold me back is money.
    Doubtful unless you have fully ported head you are not going to be reaching 30 psi out of that turbo and remember its not always about psi its about cfm.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

didnt Seth autocross on 35 psi? I think it can be done, but again I say it seems like you are not ready....even for the 15 psi. Seriously if you do make all the necessary mods to support boost and you do it properly, you could be happy and have a real burner on just 8-12 psi and have a more reliable setup. Just my opinion

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
    didnt Seth autocross on 35 psi? I think it can be done, but again I say it seems like you are not ready....even for the 15 psi. Seriously if you do make all the necessary mods to support boost and you do it properly, you could be happy and have a real burner on just 8-12 psi and have a more reliable setup. Just my opinion
    Yea i know what you saying. i have be in a lot of turbo cars that run 8-14 psi and i love the way they feel. All i need left out of my project is the CAS,throttle body,knock sensor. Last thing i thought that a 4G6 blocks can hold 35+ psi stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast