The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: need help,ecu,wiring,turbo etc...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 42

need help,ecu,wiring,turbo etc...

ok well its been awhile since i posted on here but i just wanted to make sure i have everything right. so i have a 98 galant 2.4 sohc turbo running 10 psi. i am using a gm 3 inch mas and a maft. i have 450cc injectors. full 3 inch mangnaflow exhaust ported 02 housing, aem wideband,
    well i have been turbo now for about 3 months and i have gathered more and more parts. i just recently picked up a 2g eprom ecu and in the midst of getting a 2g knock sensor if i can find one. well my first question is will coil pack assembly off of a 90 talon tsi work? i know that the 1g knock sensor wont work but havent found anybody say that the coil pack assembly differs from a 2g. as i have a 90 tsi parts car. if somebody could give me a detailed list of everything i basically need to swap a 2g ecu. my second question is does anybody know a good place to get a chip burner and a socket so i can burn chips etc. i have a real good understanding off the engine and turbo setup just kinda foggy on where to get eeprom sockets and chips and tuning software any help would be great.

nebody

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    first off, you need to search the forum, the time you waited for a responce, you could have found ALL the info you needed. you'll find info for the ecu swap search 7g, 2g ecu swap, or JIP ecu swap.

Secondly, if you want to put the 90 1g dsm parts into your galant using a 2g ecu, then you will need to search dsmtuners.com or magnus for 1g in a 2g. This setup is a little more intricate, and will require some rewiring, which basically results in the reversing of spark plugs wires, and injector sequence. you will also lose your stock tach. The 2g resistor pack will be needed as the 1g resistor pack will not wire up to stock harness. There are also some other misc wires that will need to be switched as the odb2 7g wireing is not identical to the obd2 2g wireing.

With all that said, it can be done, for example, my current setup
    jdm 6bolt 63t, 2g eprom ecu

and with that...
    Good luck!

well i have a 2g knock sensor and everything else is 2g besides the throttle body and surrounding sensors?

Blue what are you running for a cas?

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

A 90 coil pack is different from every other model year. You'll find it is easiest to pick up a '91 or later pack with a matching power transistor.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

ok eclipsh thats what i need to know, is it best to use the 91 to 94 or just get a 2g coil pack or do they differ? this is the kinda info i need. i have researched just was stating that i am a little foggy on a couple of things. i have a knock sensor now so from what i understand the only other things i need is 2g throttle body and isc and 2g coil pack and power transistor. another quick thing, would it be wise to pick up a dsm link setup for 400 bucks because either way i have to socket my ecu but i have heard that dsm link isnt as great as people say. i have heard you get way more tuning options burning your own chips.

I'd say pick which ECU you're planning on running and get a coil pack that is known to work with it. I'd suggest skipping the 2g ECU unless it is a late model year as those can be reflashed. Check out the info on DSM Tuners on reflashing or using an Evo ECU in a 2g DSM. You'll have access to the most recent tuning options for Evos that way. It will also save you the effort of getting your ECU chipped. You'd need to decide if you are going to use the cam angle sensor out of a 1g or the cam/crank combo off a 2g. Either would work if done right. You're probably best off selling the TSi and just getting the parts you need. 2g turbo DSM heads flow better than the 1g ones do so you'll be better off with one of those on your 2.4 anyway. If you're planning a 2.0 build it is still a better option.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

i'm using a 1g cas, with 2g coil and resistor, with 2g eprom ecu

look at your wiring on the cas and let me know what you did! trying to figure out if you use the brown green for cas signal or black red and if you have to ground the black wire from the 5 wire plug.

1996 galant s

say if i get a coil from a local junk yard outa something say like a non turbo eclipse talon etc are they the same coil or would they work. im going tomorow to get a couple things and was thinking i could get some parts off other vehicles that have the same coil pack. anybody know what other vehicles this was made on eclipse n.a. talon n.a. etc etc.... and anyother parts i could use for the 2g ecu swap. the reason i ask is because at the local junkyard there are alot of galant and other mitsu vehicles very rare to see any turbo dsm.

i got a coil that i would be willing to sell.

1996 galant s

do you have a t.b. and isc also no i have a 90 coil and i dont see a differnce between the 90 and other years? and how much

yea i got all of that stuff, ummm pm me we can work out a deal

1996 galant s

The 90 coil has differences in the wiring connections and how it sends the signal to the tachometer. I owned a 90 and had to deal with it. They are different from every other model year car, trust me on this. You'd have to use all '90 parts and a '90 tach to make it work.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 07-20-2010 at 01:47 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    look at your wiring on the cas and let me know what you did! trying to figure out if you use the brown green for cas signal or black red and if you have to ground the black wire from the 5 wire plug.
    i'll take a pic of it, if i didn't loom it. Or you can look at Magnus or dsmtuners and look up 1g in a 2g, they actually make a wire harness for it... but i'll check

i have everything i need now for my ecu and head swap but i have a problem.. i have a 92 coil pack assembly and a 92 power transistor j722t. on jips ecu swap tutorial it says that the power transistor pins are labeled and it has 8 pins. on mine it only has 7 pins and it is not labeled. im thinking that this power transistor will not work although it says u can use any coil and power transistor from 91 and up just not 90s anybody use this 7 pin connector or do i have to get a 8 pin one?

I believe on jips ecu swap, he was simply swapping ecu's. You will also be swapping from distributor to coil pack, transistor pack, and completely different CAS. You will need to wire in the according components. I also originally go the 1g transistor pack, but needed to use a 2g trans pack, for my swap. the coil pack connector is the same i believe. Earlier i said i was using a 2g coil, but i do believe it's the 1g that came with the engine.

I would say all coil packs do the same thing, simply send spark to the plugs, but you should get the trans pack that comes with the coil.

Unfortunately for you situation, there were no DOHC obdII galants, so you will need to wire in the CAS. For a really clean installation, go to a jy and pull the wire harness for two cars, your obdII galant, and a turbo eclipse. I wrote a tutorial on how to change the pin locations on the ecu plug. Pull all the wires from the donor eclipse and add them to your galant wire harness, while pulling out all the wires they are replacing. I say htis way so you don't have to worry about a lot of splicing, and soldering. Although you will want to solder the power and ground connections for the coil ,trans, and cas.

ya but mistubishi never made a 8 pin transistor only a 5 and 7 on jips swap he states the 8th pin goes to either the red or white wire on the coil. the only way it could work is when ur counting the pins there is no fifth pin so u have to to go 1 2 3 4 - 6 7 8 and then it makes sense i looked also in my repair manual wiring and there are only 7 pins.
    http://members.cox.net/50reasons/J722TModule.pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast