The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed swap clarification

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

5 speed swap clarification

Help I want this right before I stuff it in place. I pulled my auto from my 95 and have both the 95 7g 5 speed and 95 7g auto sitting side by side, the rear trans steel mounts (tranny side) have slightly different angles from each other. So which one should I use? Is the rubber mount different between the two as I only have my auto one. There are a couple of different opinions on the tutorial and I would like to know for certain by someone who has done it. I have to go get bolts for the flywheel, 7g auto bolts are 3/8" long, 1g 6 bolt 7/8" and in the tutorial I thought I read to use 1.5" long bolts but I think those are too long.

FYI; I saved a few bucks and time by just modifying my original brake pedal so it doesn't interfere with clutch pedal. Just cutting with a smaller angle grinder about an inch or so off the left side of the brake pedal only takes a few minutes.
    Last edited by w/oarctic7g; 07-14-2010 at 02:54 AM Reason: forgot info

It has been a while since I've done the swap but I believe you should use the 7g 5speed steel bracket/mount. It 's the only way it will fit I believe.

Our engine's are 7bolt so you should get flywheel bolts for a 5speed 2gDsm 7bolt engine.
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Yeah I think the only mount that is really different per say is the front mount

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Thanks to those that offered info. It is finally in but a few things left to finish. Some things to note; front mount fits fine, but the complete top mount and the steel portion of the rear mount trans side for 5speed is needed. The rear 2 bolt rubber mount for auto can be reused in conjunction with the 5speed mount. The 6 bolt flywheel bolts fit perfectly.

OK kool, for you to point that out about the 6bolt flywheel bolts being able to fit on the 7g.

What are you going to do about the rear trans mount. on the firewall Iam assuming your describing?

I know of a few yards down in south florida that may have it.. Good luck on your search..
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

The new/used tranny still had the rear mount on it, I just tried to post the exact items needed if someone else might be looking to do the same thing. My swap was cheap I traded the yard for things that had no value to me and my total/only cost was $40 for the custom full length rubber hose for clutch line.