The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Evo exhaust manifold

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Evo exhaust manifold

I have an 8g Galant (2002). Will an Evo 8 exhaust manifold line up with the head studs?

dont believe u can use that mani. turbo i think will hit the starter. but i could be wrong

ya, the exhaust manifold will line up with the headstuds. But of all the evo8 manifold's I saw, they all tilt the turbo back towards the block or sit too close to the block, and will hit our starter.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    ya, the exhaust manifold will line up with the headstuds. But of all the evo8 manifold's I saw, they all tilt the turbo back towards the block or sit too close to the block, and will hit our starter.
    What do you think about this one qnz? ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT )

If I buy it, I would be using an evo 9 to evo 3 (t25) adapter with an evo 3 turbo. What do you think? Would it work for this application?

also, what if I use this ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=190410711612 ). It will space the manifold out 14 mm.

Why are you buying a evo twin scroll manifold to put on a dsm turbo? A dsm manifold will bolt on.

I have that already but because the belts (AC, power steering etc) are on the passanger side there is no room for my turbo. The eclipse exhaust is behind the second from the left cylinder. My belts are on the left so everything hits.

2002 galant engine compartment

DSM Exhaust
    Last edited by CORKDOG; 07-18-2010 at 12:34 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    You need to do some searching on here because a bunch of us had setups like this that worked fine, do your homework and you'll figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member
    Interesting way to hold a radiator in place...
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    You need to do some searching on here because a bunch of us had setups like this that worked fine, do your homework and you'll figure it out.
    Ive been reeding. I've been looking. I have the equipment and it does not fit. At all. recommend somewhere for me too look. I've spent hours and hours looking through information that is un-helpful to me. The questions I ask are those which I have not found answers too. If you can't help refer me to someone who can. I've done my homework, I've seen numerous posts where you tell people to do their homework. I chose to ask because there wasn't an answer or I have yet to find it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Ok so here we go......

I tell people to do their homework because obviously you bought this stuff BEFORE you did your homework, or else you wouldnt be here asking why it doesnt fit, right?

So I did a search, I searched "DSM Manifold" and I searched in titles only. I received ONE result and I clicked on it. Here it is....

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...t=dsm+manifold

After that I went into the "Turbos, Superchargers, and Nitrous" section of the forum..

The very FIRST post is a sticky that says "How to turbocharge your 4G64 8g" and here it is.......

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=38229

Once inside this post the first 6 or so paragraphs answer ALL your questions... I copied the paragraphs incase you didnt want to look at them in the other thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathansgalant View Post
    So you want to turbo the 4G64?
    by johnathansgalant » Mon May 25, 2009 8:55 am

I am by no means an expert but I know what I know so I have gathered information and added some so that we can make a sticky or something that people can come too to find out what fits the 8g. Everything I list in this doc is known to fit but I only know mitsubishi facts and nothing about garrett and the T3/T4 hybrids or any style other than MHI flanges. Hopefully someone can add that to this to cover both bases. AS USUAL, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY IF YOUR MOTOR BLOWS UP OR YOUR CAR CATCHES ON FIRE FROM ANY INFORMATION ON THIS POST. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILTY TO READ AND RESEARCH THOROUGHLY, HOW ALL THESE ITEMS WORK AND INTERACT BEFORE YOU SLAP IT ON YOUR CAR. FUEL BURNS AND IGNITES VERY EASILY SO MAKE SURE YOU INSPECT ALL YOUR WORK IN THE FUEL AREA INCLUDING ADJUSTABLE FPR, FUEL RAILS, INJECTOR SEALS, FUEL PUMP LINES AND FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE ANY LEAKS. EVERYTHING WORKS BUT IF INSTALLED IMPROPERLY THERE IS NO TELLING THE END RESULTS.

So you want to turbo the 4G64? This guide is for 8g Galants from years 99-03. In this guide we will basically spoon feed you what you can use to turbo charge your car. This document is ever changing because obviously, something new comes along every day. This guide will be a compilation of info provided by numerous members of TGC, Club3g, Evolutionm, Galantforums, Dsmtuners and plenty other useful sources. Thanks to everyone that contributed and continues to advance the 4G64 platform.

Exhaust Components
    Turbo:
    There are so many choices to choose from where does one start? Well, we are going to list what fits and you are going to decide for yourself what your goals and needs will be.
    To start, the Mitsubishi turbo line is a great start and has plentiful choices that are available. Weakest to strongest the most common turbos are: T25, 14b, 16g, 18g, 20g. This list is not all the Mitsubishi turbos and there are subsets of some of these turbos which may or may not be discussed further. All of the listed turbos will fit provided you have the correct manifold. The compressor housing for these turbos should be the TDO5, TDO5H, TDO6 housings and the exhaust housings are very similar with different size exhaust ports such as 6cm, 7cm and they all fit Mitsubishi style flanged manifolds (Without Twinscroll).

Exhaust Manifold:
    99% of all manifolds made for the 1g turbo eclipse and 2g turbo eclipse will fit your car. Manifolds designed for 4g63 turbo engines from 1990 to 1999 will fit. Manifolds designed for the Evolution 8 and 9 will fit also. You must select the right turbo/manifold combo as they are specific to each other. The Evolution 8 and 9 exhaust manifold comes stock with a twin scroll design and is different than any of the other Mitsubishi turbo line. This manifold and turbo selection will run into the starter so you must use at least one manifold spacer milled at a slant to position the turbo upward away from the starter. Some people have used two spacers and some have used one milled spacer. This requires replacing your studs with longer studs to be long enough to fit the spacers.

DSM or 1990-1999 Eclipse 1990-1994 Laser, Eagle Talon AWD or FWD
    All manifolds will fit with stock specs meaning the turbo is put in the stock location or close too. You will have to unbolt and flip the turbo180 (flip it around so the exhaust side is toward the passenger side) so it will fit and allow room for intake and o2 housing to fit. ***O2 sensor may not fit if everything is assembled and you try to screw it in(will run into power steering pump). Try to put the O2 sensor in the o2 housing prior to bolting the system to the head or manifold. It should allow for near perfect fit with no problems.

Evolution 1-3
    All these manifolds will fit and the Evo 3 manifold is beefier than the standard DSM manifolds. It is suggested to get an EVO 3 manifold because it is not prone to cracking and has slightly larger ports plus it has a 7cm turbo flange for better top end power.

Evolution 4-8
    These, as I mentioned earlier need manifold spacers to clear the starter with a turbo fitted. You can try RRE for these spacers.

O2 Housing:
    1990 – 1999 Eclipse or DSM or Evo 1-3
    All these o2 housings will fit when using a Mitsubishi turbo such as T25, 14b, 16g, 18g. There are more variants but these are the major and most used turbos. Special note is that Evo 1-3 is not the same as 90-99 dsm o2 housing in that, the angle of the downpipe flange is different. The evo 3 has a more aggressive angle and points more towards the turbo than the standard 1g and 2g eclipse. Evo 3 o2 housing also requires a slightly larger than stock exhaust flange when building or buying a downpipe.
    And lastly.....

I take a TON of my time to help people on this forum and answer their questions, I empty my PM mailbox about twice a month due to the number of PM's I get from people needing help with Turbos, Trannies, ECU's etc. I answer EVERY PM the best I can and take my time to help everyone. You can ask anyone on this forum and they will tell you I bend over backwards to help people. There is a difference between helping people understand something, answering a specific question, giving advice, versus helping someone look for info that is available because either A. They are too lazy to look for it, or B. They arent intelligent enough to use the search button. I dont think your a stupid person and I dont want you to take offense to anything I have said. My best advice to you, is to start a thread documenting your turbo build, post pics, ask specific questions, people WILL help you and your info will then be documented to help someone in the future who has the same questions as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Johnathansgalant is one guy I know using an Eclipse cast manifold. Theres a few people on the club3g forums who use this manifold as well. The turbo and manifold will fit on the car, the only problem is the o2 housing and downpipe is hard to fit. Those guys all have custom downpipes and/or custom o2 housings.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    Johnathansgalant is one guy I know using an Eclipse cast manifold. Theres a few people on the club3g forums who use this manifold as well. The turbo and manifold will fit on the car, the only problem is the o2 housing and downpipe is hard to fit. Those guys all have custom downpipes and/or custom o2 housings.
    Thanks man