The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: No water in coolant resovouir over flow tank?

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

MAP sensor!

Okay, I have one more serious question. I noticed that there was a hissing under my hood bad and traced it to the MAP sensor it is on their but it has a gap in it sucking in a shit load of air. I took the two screws out and pulled it every thing looked good on it. So i put it back in to see if i could adjust it. It wont let you because the way the holes line up to the throttle body housing that the MAP sensor attaches to. So I was wondering if there is some way of making it seal i completly off. It cant be good letting in air without it being monitored by the Mass Air Flow Sensor right. I have no codes but,it has to affect it with more air getting inside of it,from the vaccum leak of the MAP sensor,right?
    So how should I go about fixing it,can i put some RTV sealant around it when it is cooled down and car off and let it dry and see what happens or what. The O ring seal on the MAP sensor is fine and not dry rotted are anything like that so why is it letting that much air. It suppose to be sealed off completly right? Any suggestions would be appreciated guys!
    Last edited by CIBAL; 07-24-2010 at 07:12 AM Reason: New question

are your fans turning on after a couple of minutes of your car being on. this is with out having the A/C on...once the A/C is on the fans automatically turn on...if the fans never turn on while the A/C is off it could be due to your coolant temp sensor being bad. ive had this problem before and i have it again..i gotta refill my resevoir with coolant atleast once a week due to my fans not kicking in unless i turn on the A/C. if you drive with your windows down and no A/C and your coolant temp sensor is bad then your car tends to run a bit hotter due to not having the fans cool down the coolant flowing through the radiator enough resulting in evaporation of the coolant over time...that could be a possibility...if not you might have a small leak somewhere, so check everywhere.
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump

i just noticed its for a 7th gen..so not too sure on the info given..even though it should be somewhat related to any car.
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272

Temp coolant sensor is bad and the fans come on and off when the car is started and running after a little bit without a/c on. I would get a code for tht coolant sensor too,because i have before when it has gone bad in the past,before I replaced it with a new one.

i have never reseived a coolant temp sensor code...and i know it was bad cause my fans never turned on while the A/C was off and once i replaced the fans autmatically turned on after a couple of minutes of being on...you dont need to get a code to know a part is bad or going bad.
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272

I know it's good because my fans turn I also checked it with the boiling bot of water and ohm meter like in the Haynes manual fans turn on also

I've always had that with my car, never thought much of it, as far as I was aware it's an overflow tank not a reservior. I'm no expert but the way i saw it was the overflow tank is only needed in case it over heats and it has somewhere to vent the pressure and excess fluid, then it can suck it back in when the temp returns to normal.

Also all the fluid reserviors I've ever seen, mainly on trucks, always have a pressure cap instead of the plastic cap that galants have.

Quote Originally Posted by 7gvr4 View Post
    I've always had that with my car, never thought much of it, as far as I was aware it's an overflow tank not a reservior. I'm no expert but the way i saw it was the overflow tank is only needed in case it over heats and it has somewhere to vent the pressure and excess fluid, then it can suck it back in when the temp returns to normal.

Also all the fluid reserviors I've ever seen, mainly on trucks, always have a pressure cap instead of the plastic cap that galants have.
    yes sir, you have it correct.

it's not a reservoir. it's a overflow tank. if the car starts over heating it pushes coolant into it to releave pressure. thats why it also has a hose that runs down to drain. if it fills to much it emptys the fluid/pressure. once again as it was said, when the car goes back to normal it pulls coolant back into the radiator

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

So if the tank is empty even thought you fill it it wont suck in nothing but air when it cools down ,right. The over flow tank is not holding water or its boiling all of it out?

TGC Regular
    It might of just been low on coolant and ity got sucked into your system... Try filling it up again... and just pay attention to it. Make sure that your not leaking from anywhere.. Make sure your radiator is full..

It's been doing this for two months now and I can't find no leaks

Radiator is always full

is the carpet under ur dash wet? if ur heater core is bad it will leak fluid into the car. it is an overflow. so when the rad pushes fluid into the engine to cool it down the rad will the take fluid from the overflow to refill the rad. when the fluid comes out of the engine into the rad the overflow will go back. since ur just refilling w water it is very likely it is just evaporating. get a gallon of 50/50 and put it in ur overflow.

Not wet under carpet. Heater core is good. I have tried both 50/50 and water. I hate that damn pastic cap that is on the over flow tank itself it pops off if you blow on it the wrong way.lol!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    my overflow tank had a crack in it where it slides over the little thing for it and id never know it, drive it then itd be empty. got a new one then filled it a few times as the radiatior was slightly down on coolant. use antifreeze and see if it happens, all the water may just be burning off or it may be low
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I tries antifreeze same thing I even took it out and filled it up with antifreeze and left it out by itself and it never leaked and all coolant was still in it. Im out of ideas. Time to see what Superman can do,wait hes dead,Lol! Thanks guys but Im getting no where . I just keep eye on it and drive it till she blows. its has 230000 already and still driving pretty good.

There is a chance that by filling up the overflow tank you are making the radiator think its got to much fluid in there, as soon as the thermostat opens it would be sucking that fluid through aswell, to much fluid means your engine wont stay at temperature as easily so its burning off the extra fluid. Atleast thats the way the trucks i drive do it, they have a set amount of fluid they work best with, even if we fill them up to the top they get themselves to the same level and stay there. Your car is most likely doing the same.

If you're not over-heating then i wouldn't worry about it.

i never touch the fluid. as long as my temp doesn't go up. i don't worry about it. my overflow is always empty

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Sounds good to me.

Okay, I have one more serious question. I noticed that there was a hissing under my hood bad and traced it to the MAP sensor it is on their but it has a gap in it sucking in a shit load of air. I took the two screws out and pulled it every thing looked good on it. So i put it back in to see if i could adjust it. It wont let you because the way the holes line up to the throttle body housing that the MAP sensor attaches to. So I was wondering if there is some way of making it seal i completly off. It cant be good letting in air without it being monitored by the Mass Air Flow Sensor right. I have no codes but,it has to affect it with more air getting inside of it,from the vaccum leak of the MAP sensor,right?
    So how should I go about fixing it,can i put some RTV sealant around it when it is cooled down and car off and let it dry and see what happens or what. The O ring seal on the MAP sensor is fine and not dry rotted are anything like that so why is it letting that much air. It suppose to be sealed off completly right? Any suggestions would be appreciated guys!