The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car will not crank

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Icon4 Car will not crank

"Another one?"

I know, right? I've spent the past week browsing this forum and searching for a possible solution. Lots of useful information but alas, no solution that works for me. Here's the important info:

1999 Galant ES
    6g72
    No custom electronics.
    Replaced corroded negative battery cable, starter, and battery less than 3 months ago to fix a no start condition.
    All fuses and relays have been checked for good continuity and resistance.

Here's the problem:
    I took the car out tuesday night. The car sounded ever so slightly slow to crank but fired up without a problem. I drove around quite a bit that night restarting the car 3 or 4 times as I went from location to location. Got home that night, parked the car and went to sleep. The next morning I get in the car, turn the key and nothing. No crank what so ever even though all of the gauge lights come on, the radio works, and the fan is blowing. Checked the power from the battery and confirmed 12.7 volts standing and about 12.3 with the key in the start position. I've verified that power gets to the starter fuse in the fuse box located in the engine compartment. The signal wire is chewed up or burnt up rather but I don't have time to replace it till next weekend if at all.

Suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by *****; 07-18-2010 at 12:26 PM

Bad starter!!!

The wire that clips to the starter also gets really loose because the heat expands the wire clip!! I replaced my starter 2yrs ago and just changed the starter wire clip 3 months ago!!

Noted. I've been avoiding pulling the starter (again -.-;) but it never hurts to be thorough. Wish me luck!

So I got the car running. Turns out that hitting the starter with a hammer really does work. I wonder what would happen if I hit the whole car with a hammer...

Anyway, who want's to buy a '99 Galant ES? Just under 110000 miles. I'll throw in a free oil change!

This thread can be closed now ^_^