The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1969 Pontiac Bonneville Project

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 52
    they needed to be sand blasted and repainted so I let them go for $50 locally on craigslist. And I highly recommend taking Ray's advice about tearing the car down and do it right. It should be easy enough to work on.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    How much would a full sand blast be? And what exactly does that do? I'm thinking about asking the guy who first re-did the car some questions about what he still does and how much it would cost.

Just a few small updates:
    IT RUNS!

These rims are on the way OUT as soon as I purchase new ones towards the end of the work, so next spring or summer.

The engine after I bought the new Valve Cover Breather Cap and just sprayed SOME degreaser and wiped in down.

Starting the trunk

Just using rust removal for the trunk along with another product, once I find it, that the guy that restores cars for a living recommended.

You should have seen how nasty rotted the trunk seal was. There was some holes under it which will be filled in prior to installing the new seal. For now, we got the car to run off time long enough to drive it into the garage. That is where it will stay until 1 of 2 things. The floor, top, and interior are done, or my dad moves.

New Videos:
    First rev after timing fixed

First idle by it self in 3 years

Engine View Rev

Rear View Rev

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Good job dude. Those wheels seriously kill the look of the car. My advice, put the car on jack stands, sell those ugly wheels on craigslist. Hit the junkyard and pick up some factory ones until you can get better wheels. Stock wheels will look ten times better, that's just what I would do if I had to cash to get better wheels.You have rust but it's not as bad as I anticipated. You should see some of the cars from the 40's and 50s' I've worked on.

I see you got rust on the quarter panels, address that quickly or you will be replacing quarter panels soon, if not too late already.

Here you go, wheels and tires

http://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/1874657330.html

The wheels do kill the car, but as long as it is just going to sit until I get it going more I was just going to keep it as is. The garage hides them now :D lol.
    As for the wheels, for how big these cars are, would a old school looking rim in 17's work? Or would I be better with 15's still. This is the set I was thinking about

I think the gun metal would off set the blue very well, plus this shop I pass every day has one outside in dark blue with a black top and the wheels you posted and they seem too small for the size of the car. I'm going to look into those wheels for now though because these factory lincolns I have on it I could hopefully get some decent money for them

August 7th, 2010

Much less rust in the trunk

Didn't really do much beside another layer of rust removal in the trunk, started to remove the seats, and I figured out if my new trunk seal will actually fit or not, and it does. So that is a huge start.

To build some personal credit, I'm thinking about applying for a loan from the bank I work at for the rest of the cost of the car to finish and pay it off monthly for the next few years. It would be a great way to build up some credit. Not that we can actually win the credit game.

I'm not sure what color I want to re-spray it.

Right now I'm doing a little interior work. Theres too much snow to get to the actual car right now but I have the center console in my bed room. It has chrome on it that is not so chrome anymore, so I'm sanding it down and thing about getting it powder coated the dark blue like the interior pictures above, or I'll just spray it blue my self. I want to keep the black plastic part black, so I'm just going to clean that up and tape it off when I spray the chrome over. I'm also doing a little something new to the shifter trim and the console part that opens. I'll throw some pics up when everything starts to come together of the before, during and after. I'm sick of this winter and missing my Challenger, so its time to do a little work to my old school project.

I have officially chosen to stick with this theme:

Thank you Dave for the parts site you found for me. I have contacted the guy and hope to be ordering some parts for the interior that I desperately need. Once the car gets to my girlfriends house, the interior will be stripped and sanded to get ready for the floor boards to be welded in. I'll be ordering the top, and hope to talk to someone to help with all of the electrical problems. I think I'll have this guy I know that will be doing the floor boards take a look at the electrical issues too. Plus after how long it sat in bad weather, I'd be suprised if any of the electronics for the windows weren't corroded away. I also know for a fact that the wires for the top need to be replaced and rewired. It was shorting for some reason. I'm seriously getting excited for this project, going to pay my dad the rest and get the title this week too hopefully.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    I'm Glad because that theme is badass ! Looking forward to more progress !

I'll be throwing a little carbon fiber into the interior as well, just to add a little new school

Interior progress.

This is only the center console. The original Bonnevilles had a bench seat. My dad traded a guy with a GTO or Gran Prix for bucket seats and floor console for the shifter.

Well, I think I'll get rid of all the chrome since it is VERY expensive to get it re-chromed. But here is where I am adding some carbon fiber or new school touch to the old school car. I liked the woodgrain that my dad had in the bonnville for the past 10 years, but I think its time to re-do the car my way, and my way involves some carbon fiber.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do the part of the console that opens. I can't remove that lock part. I'm trying to find a way to lay down the carbon fiber as a sheet alone then mend it to the console after cutting the lock hole in it.

Just an update on how the rest of the center console is going:

Before:

During:

Paint

First layer of resin:

Laying the CF (I should have waited for it to get more tacky too bad I was too bored)

Carefully Trimmed it and laid more resin down

The resin is coming out so smooth this time that I don't even want to sand it at all or put a clear coat over it. But I know as soon as I start the dremel process for the edges and the lock, I will need to sand it down.

I'm planning on just using 3M Double Sided Tape to hold both the shifter trim and console trim in place.

That looks really good. Where do you get the cf sheets? I'll be honest with you I'm not to sure about how I feel about the cf in an older car but I'm sure you could pull it off if you keep it clean.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

Like stated on GT, only this center console, a small part in the dash, and small parts in the 4 panels will have the CF. All of these parts HAD woodgrain, but because the interior is going purple/black, I thought a small twist of CF would help set it off. This is NOT going to turn into Carbon Fiber wraps everywhere, just the select pieces I named and that is it. I'm hoping that everything will flow the way I am thinking. If not, I'll try something else, but I completely agree with your concern and opinion and hope you don't take this responce in a rude way at all, just explaining what will be cf

I also think that due to the design of the center console that this is actually too much CF for it. But I will see how it turns out when it is in the car completed and take opinions from there. I just don't like the woodgrain vinyl look and wanted something different to offset the theme that is going into the car

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    CF in a classic car?? You lost me dog, no megusta.

I hate the woodgrain, it wouldn't flow at all with the look that I am going with so a minor hint of CF would throw it off well. IF it looks bad, I can always paint it or use woodgrain vinyl to cover it like it had before

You can't even tell where I screwed up with the dremel. I was so pissed and worried that it went through to the CF it self.

I can't believe I've been working on this for almost a year and I've gotten no where lol.

Due to the winter and my car accident, I've had no time to work on this. However, I'm going to be getting back into the game. And Ray, if you end up seeing this again, I'll be sorta taking your advice on the sand blasting. I know a guy with a sand blaster and a paint gun who is willing to teach me. So this whole project, paint job too, will be a learning experience.

I'll post pics of the work I attempt this weekend. I've got to tear the whole interior out and start sanding down all of the rusted parts. I just wish it was closer to get to and hopefully I'll be able to have it here in town very soon.

Intrigued.

Needs 502 Crate engine swap :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast