The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Head swap problems, need answers

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Head swap problems, need answers

I really need to get these questions answered quick please help.
    I have a 7g 95 w/ 1g head swap trying to finish up.
    1.Tutorials don't say what timing cover to use 1g does not fit nor does the sohc 7g.
    2. Info says to use 4g63 head bolts but those bolts are a larger diameter than stock 7g, so I guess I will be using 7g sohc bolts. Unless someone tells me otherwise.
    3. Wiring: I think I have to change wiring on whole car from my donor 1g unless someone has a better idea. There has been no support so far on this unless I had 96-98. I am sure someone has done this for 94-95, please help.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    1. they don't say which cover to use, because you use the cover that's applicable for the head. can't use a SOHC cover on a DOHC head. the 1G cover has to fit the 1G head....

2. you can't re-use OEM headbolts. you need to get headstuds for the 2G 4g63, i have been using the ones from ARP for years, and just swapped on a 7G GS DOHC head with the same headstuds. they fit....

3. it might be easier on you to get a harness. there are several connections and items that are introduced with the headswap that aren't carried in the stock form of the SOHC. coilpack, coilpack transistor, Crank Angle Sensor, Cam Angle Sensor (or position sensor for either one), knock sensor, warp drive, etc.

i just finished the DOHC/ECU swap successfully, *knock on stock piles of wood*, its fairly straight forward, as long as you don't hate timing belt jobs as much as me
    Last edited by peanotation; 07-21-2010 at 11:18 AM
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Well maybe I have a strange odd year issue. The dohc timing cover I tried to use will fit fine up top after I cut it to fit around motor mount but not right at the bottom. Do you think I need to get a newer lower cover like maybe late 1g or GS?
    So the 2g uses same diameter bolts/studs as the 7G?
    Normal torque specs for 1g according to manual is 68 ft lbs. What torque specs are you using and having success with?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    been to the dealer, the part numbers are the same for the middle timing cover, but the lower timing cover is different. the dohc uses the same lower timing cover as the 2g cars

also, all dohc upper timing covers are the same
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Thanks for the help, I will try to find a 2g turbo 3 piece set then. Anyone here have them or know a good source?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    the middle timing cover is unique, the lower and upper timing covers are the same on 94 GS vs 2G turbo
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

If you still have those 1g head bolts you can reuse those but you'll need to retap the threads in the block to match. It is only a 1mm difference so it shouldn't be too hard to do. The 1g head bolts are really strong and most users never need to switch to ARP head studs. it is the 2g/Galant 11mm bolts that suck and need to be changed out.

I'm not sure what ECU you're planning to run but I've got most of the wiring conversion for a 1g ecu up in my build thread. It is hard work and you may want to run the Evo/late 2g ECU instead as it avoids dealing with rewiring fans and some other stuff. 1g cars only have one O2 sensor though so that is nice.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation View Post
    the middle timing cover is unique, the lower and upper timing covers are the same on 94 GS vs 2G turbo
    damnit i just looked at what i posted and realize im sitting here looking at all my reciepts saying it was the middle cover that is different.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I had issues so I stopped and just yanked the whole motor out. I am glad I at least turned it over and checked compression before I bolted everything else up. The used head has some problems. I will have a machine shop go through the head and in the meantime I will order the few remaining parts. Thanks for the tips on the bolts if I decide to refresh the bottom end I may just tap those holes. I am leaning toward using the 1g ecu and engine harness mainly because I already have it. My real struggle will be how to integrate that with 7g body harness.

I wouldn't just look up putting the 6 bolt into a 2g and you will have all the wiring info that you need this is not a new swap your just looking in the wrong spots use the cam sensor from the 1g it will take the place of the cam and crank sensors on the 2g motors and lmost everything else is there i believe also if you run the 1g head you should use the 1g intake since it has larger runners but you will need to buy or make a setup to hook up a mdp sensor since it is not in that manifold.