The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: transmission replacement

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

transmission replacement

Long story short, the AT in my 94 Galant LS went out about a month ago. $1200 and the car made it about 20 miles and no further . I already have the new transmission to put in it and I'm in the process of taking out the old one but its taking a while.

I already have the Haynes manual and i have read the AT to MT swap guide on www.socallifestyle.com

I'm looking for any tips or tricks that might help, I just want to make sure i don't run into too many problems.

A tranny plate for floor jack or tranny jack makes it a bit easier. Leave the front and rear steel mounts off until you have the trans bolted to engine. Make sure you remove the spacer/washer on the end of crank sometimes these are easy and it pops right out and others you may have to grind and chisel. For the clutch master cutout I use a hole saw a little smaller than the diameter of the marked hole and clean it up and widen if needed with a round file. Make sure slave cylinder line (especially if its a new one piece line/hose)is hooked up before you install front motor mount.

Oh, i'm sadly not going with the MT just yet. I will be installing another AT for now.

I'm down to removing the axle, top & rear mount's and the last few bolts holding it to the engine (except TC, those i got out already). I'm going to pick up a large ball-joint separator in the morning. I got pics I can upload if anyone is interested :)

What is separator for?

I'm going to use it to pull the axle out of the tranny between the tranny and the CV joints

Oh ok that sounds like a good tip just be careful not to damage case, but I guess it doesn't matter in your situation since tranny is junk. I have had good success with a long prybar or slide hammer. If replacement tranny is used you should throw some new seals on it.

An hour and a half sooner than my estimate I had the tranny on the ground, the pan was full of metal shavings and little metal chunks. no wonder it only went 20 miles. installation of the new one will start tonight or tomorrow night. :)

new transmission is bolted to the engine and I got the mount bolted back in. with any luck i will have it finished tonight :D

this transmission is a no go.. reverse, first, second, third all do nothing. is there any way to test the TCU to make sure its not the problem?

If I cant get this one to work the car will be parked for who knows how long until its sold or we have the money to do the 5spd swap.. A 7G doesn't deserve that kind of death lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    was it a new or used tranny? new torque converter or used??? these things love to go. usually if the tcu goes it has a safe mode that keeps it in drive i believe.

im telling you, i went 5 speed this passed week after all of these issues and it wasnt that much, whole swap with many new parts and paying someone to put it in was less than a grand and ill never go back to an auto car again
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

it was all used. I thought the same thing, but if the tcu was to fail completely?

I want to do the same, but it will take us so long to do that.. we can keep getting new AT for free because its under warranty.