The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hissing noise along with shooting water/coolant? HELP!

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Icon9 Hissing noise along with shooting water/coolant? HELP!

Recently my car started overheating and losing coolant. I have to fill the coolant up every time I drive because it is always bone dry. When I park the car there is a hissing noise under the hood and seems to be shooting out water or coolant? Its on the right side of engine and at the top. I've replaced the water pump and timing belts. Anyone have ideas or advice? Thanks in advance!

I circled the part where it's hissing/spitting drops of water/coolant.
    PLEASE HElP

fixed ur IMG code so the picture shows...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    The part you circled is the EGR valve, not sure why there would be coolant coming out of there as typically there is only air/gas in there. There are two coolant hoses that go underneath that and attach to the throtte body, maybe on of those broke or has a hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Brian, isn't the part circled for cruise control? I remember the EGR is in the back by the firewall on the intake mani?

To OP: There are water/coolant hoses that run through the TB, make sure it is connected/not ripped
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    Brian, isn't the part circled for cruise control? I remember the EGR is in the back by the firewall on the intake mani?

To OP: There are water/coolant hoses that run through the TB, make sure it is connected/not ripped
    lol, that's the EGR dude. Cruise control in on the passenger side.

Op you also have the Thermostat housing in that area directly underneath that circle but I bet is the heater core lines . Take better care of the car dude, like wash the engine once in a while.
    Last edited by RAZ_76; 07-25-2010 at 04:00 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar

Like Ray said the cruise control is on the passenger side its the black box with the vacuum line thats in front of the strut tower.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

yeah, I am aware that the cruise module is on the passenger side and it connects to that via vacuum hose.

I could have sworn this is the EGR and its on the back of the intake mani.

if what I pictured is not the EGR, can someone tell me what it is. Because I dont have anything hooked up to the part the op has pictured and im not throwing any egr codes.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

i'm pretty sure its not the egr valve, its the cruise control valve.. yes the cruise box that creates or directs the vaccum is over in front of the strut, but the actual valve that holds the tb plate open is what is circled... its gotta be the coolant lines hooked up to the tb that are leaking..

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ambernieves87 View Post
    Recently my car started overheating and losing coolant. I have to fill the coolant up every time I drive because it is always bone dry. When I park the car there is a hissing noise under the hood and seems to be shooting out water or coolant? Its on the right side of engine and at the top. I've replaced the water pump and timing belts. Anyone have ideas or advice? Thanks in advance!

I circled the part where it's hissing/spitting drops of water/coolant.
    PLEASE HElP

That's the cruise control..right behind that is the TB and right below those 2 is your thermostat..i'd say check your lower radiator hose might be loose or the thermo might be getting stuck..I believe you could put some dye into the coolant to see where it's coming from but I'm unsure.
    Last edited by AktionCat; 07-26-2010 at 02:47 PM

Thanks so much for all the answers guys! I am going to look into all of them and let you guys know the outcome. Also thank you for the help with the picture. :)

also i will clean the engine. :) thanks!

yeah, I am aware that the cruise module is on the passenger side and it connects to that via vacuum hose.

I could have sworn this is the EGR and its on the back of the intake mani.

if what I pictured is not the EGR, can someone tell me what it is. Because I dont have anything hooked up to the part the op has pictured and im not throwing any egr codes.
    That is the EGR valve. Only the Galant DE models have the EGR vavle mounted on the back of the IM. The ES, LS and GTZ models have the EGR mounted on the throttle body.

Well, I have an ES and the EGR is on the back of the intake mani. It just doesn't make much sense to me why the vacuum hose for the cruise control module is connected to the EGR... And if that valve on top of the TB is the EGR, where is the EGR solenoid located?

My car has an 02 4G64 and a 99 V6 TB. My old motor had it on the back of the intake mani as well. Also when you look at rockauto for an EGR, the part pictured and listed on their site is a direct match to the EGR I got pictured that is located at the back of the intake mani.

I looked it up on the Service manuals at tearstone. The EGR is located BEHIND the intake manifold, not on top of the TB for the 4G64.