The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: So I read the tire sizing FAQ, still got q's

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

So I read the tire sizing FAQ, still got q's

My 8th gen came with the 15" wheel, I took the factory se eclipse rims with yoko 215/55/17 that were merely weeks old and stuck them on the galant with NO issues. ZERO, I have had my trunk packed full, 4 and 5 people in the ride, stereo system, name it, and NEVER had trouble with the tires rubbing yet. If I did, there was not visible signs, no noise, etc. So now I am running Yoko Avids, 215/55/17 on Motegi rims since my eclipse ones were made of that soft metal....for some reason I never got the recall in the mail, perhaps I was on a deployment or something, needless to say they took a beating. So here I am now, I have rubbing issues from the passenger front AND if I put 2 adults in the car I bottom out, and now, with the sunshine being out and heating it up, even just me and the kids its doing it. Are my shocks done, time for an upgrade? I've looked and looked, have not found any oil on shocks, the back wheel well looks to sit down a hair more than it used too. Still stuck with that factory foot gap up front. lol Ill keep looking and trying to scan threads to find a match but any help would be greatly appreciated....My only option at the moment is to swap out the rims/tires for the 16" ones of the wifey's 09 Lancer
    OR replace the suspension if its going to make it right....Thanks in advance

the reason you are rubbing is offset and width. even though your tire size is the same, if you go wider in the wheel and/or lower the offset, the clearance to the fenders will change. what are the specs of your current wheel (diameter, width, offset)?

I honestly do not know, my other rims were beat up pretty bad and a friend had these laying around....I took the tired right off the eclipse rims and stuck them on the motegis, i assume that if the width size was any different the tire would not seal on the rim. Also I have had these tires (enivigor avid's) on the car for about a month-6 weeks, I found the bottoming out problem when I had 3 adults in the ride. Simple fix, I stopped riding 3 deep. Than it started happening with 2 adults, now that summer showed up and the sun is baking it all day its going on with just me inside. everytime i hit a dip anything over 40-50 mph im grinding rubber on metal, and if i turn at to high mph (lol, anything over 5) the car seems to be rolling heavy into the turn and rubbing on whatever the inside wheel well is at the time. Everything in the car almost is stock, I never touched the suspension though I think its about time, so i don't know about offset or anything else...nothing was done except swapping out the steelies for rims.

Hey Man, Fro the sounds of it Id say ur front or rears shocks are about done or are all the way blown. Or like Reelax says the offset is jus enough to mess ya up. I run the same size tire with a +40 offset rim an my back seem to rub everynow an then an i feel to have the same body roll because my rears are blown right now an i have a heavy system an all. My front are still fine an i dont rub at all. So ur fronts are prolly ready for replacement.
    2001 Mitsubishi Galant-Totalled..=(
    1987 Cheverolet IROC-Z Camaro-TPI 350
    1989 Nissan 240sx-built SOHC-Trade for Honda
    1999 civic Hatch B20vtec- current
    Lookn for galant to build. .

ok, so i read up about offset, still have no clue, and don't forsee myself taking a wheel and tire off to measure it out. what i do know is that these rims have been on for about 3 yrs with zero trouble, the same size 215/55/17 tires have been ran for 5 yrs now. it only recently started giving me trouble. thanks for the help

@ freshgalant...thanks bro, im thinking down that same path...looking at partstrain right now! is there anywhere that sells the shocks as a single piece? Im not looking forward to swapping springs out myself. I thought about a scrap yard just taking the whole unit, but than again.....its from the scrapyard and my kids ride in this car.

Quote Originally Posted by my8thgen View Post
    @ freshgalant...thanks bro, im thinking down that same path...looking at partstrain right now! is there anywhere that sells the shocks as a single piece? Im not looking forward to swapping springs out myself. I thought about a scrap yard just taking the whole unit, but than again.....its from the scrapyard and my kids ride in this car.
    dont go cheap on tires, suspension or brakes it can be a factor that saves your life one day.

Getting offset is easy. Jack up car take rim off and somewhere it should say like ET+42 or something to that effect. ideally you want 38-45ish

Quote Originally Posted by my8thgen View Post
    I honestly do not know, my other rims were beat up pretty bad and a friend had these laying around....I took the tired right off the eclipse rims and stuck them on the motegis, i assume that if the width size was any different the tire would not seal on the rim. Also I have had these tires (enivigor avid's) on the car for about a month-6 weeks, I found the bottoming out problem when I had 3 adults in the ride. Simple fix, I stopped riding 3 deep. Than it started happening with 2 adults, now that summer showed up and the sun is baking it all day its going on with just me inside. everytime i hit a dip anything over 40-50 mph im grinding rubber on metal, and if i turn at to high mph (lol, anything over 5) the car seems to be rolling heavy into the turn and rubbing on whatever the inside wheel well is at the time. Everything in the car almost is stock, I never touched the suspension though I think its about time, so i don't know about offset or anything else...nothing was done except swapping out the steelies for rims.
    do not assume that since the tire fits, the wheel has the same specs as what you had before. a tire will fit as long as the wheels are the same diameter but the width and offset can be different. a 215 wide tire will fit on anything from 6"-8" wide. additionally offset does not have any affect on if the tire fits or not. offset is simply how much the wheel edge is spaced away from the hub, the lower the number the further out the wheels sit, the higher the number the closer the wheels sit. width affects offset in respect to clearance from the suspension and/or the fender. for example a 16x7 wheel w/ +40 offset will not rub but a 16x7 wheel w/ +10 offset will almost certainly rub the fenders on deep compression and a 16x7 +70 will most likely rub the suspension, even though all three wheels will accept the exact same tire.

Thanks @ reelax, I get the offset concept, just dont have the extra cash to have tires taken off and put on so i can measure. additionally, this just started, the same rims with the same size tires have been there for 3 years with no rub. but I look and cant find any oil on the shocks to show me they're blown, i push on the car and it seems to be the same bouncy as its always been, nothing more that i can tell. I understand if i switch the rims and the offset is different it can rub, did not know that a 215 will seat on a 6-8" rim, that actually sounds really crazy to me, but again as much as i work on cars, wheels n tires are not my thing. The only thing that changed now is I have brand new tires on it, and even then, the rubbing didnt start until 4-6 weeks after new tires. SO changing wheel specs i don't believe really applies....does it? UGHHH, time to put her on blocks and see if i can even tell where its rubbing. Thanks again guys

well if they were fine before for years then it is not the wheels and tires; if they did not rub before and you didn't lower it, it's gonna be something else. do u know if it is rubbing the fender or the suspension?

Wheel offset and tire sizes may be identical, but wheel width even if a only .5" different changes the tires overall section width. It may be just enough to cause rubbing where it did not before. I'm going to venture a guess that the Motegi's are at LEAST 1" wider than the stock wheels, thereby increasing the overall tire section width. That coupled with an almost guaranteed lower offset would be the reason you are rubbing now, and not before.

thanks reelax....im bout to put her on a rack today and take the wheels off, just on the ground I cant see anywhere that its rubbing. No score marks on the tires or anything. Also I cant see any oil on the shocks. Could it just be my coil springs? I know overseas when the temps sit high for a few days the springs on the trucks turn to straight crap....while its not 100+ here, they are 7 years old.

well, so far i have bare metal 6-8" long, very, very thin on the very rear and bottom of the rear wells. I changed my brakes in the front and could not tell where/what its doing. but it sounds hella bad. and as bad as the brakes sounded before, (which wasn't to bad but I could hear it) these new things sound worse for sure. Like everyone around can hear it, no new rattle clips with my purchase for some reason....last time i did em they were in the box :/ Im HOPING the machine shop did a shit job on the rotors......everything else is noisier too though, reallly weird, the back drums are toast, something squeaks really loud and sharp when i let of the brake pedal. Other than that she's still mobbin tho! but not for much longer....gonna change everything, so she might sit on stands for a few months. After summer for sure tho, the civic has no a/c. I like my a/c . thanks guys