The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: motor swap

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Icon5 motor swap

i trying to figure out if turboin my 6g72 is a good idea or should i just go with a evo motor.what do u guys think?

Evo engine will not fit in 6g72 frame, well at least not without enormous modifications.

- If you've got nothing nice to say, what the hell is wrong with you!?!

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    If you have the 6G72 & you wanna do an engine swap look up 6G74 or 6G75 engine swap although i think the 74 is an easier swap
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    I would look into a 6g74 or a 6g75 motor swap with 5 speed. You will get more bang for a buck. To turbocharge the 6g72 your going to spend alil bit of money there, but its all up to you on how much you really want to spend, but If I was you...shit I go with either the 6g74 or 6g75 motor swap. There are some bad ass cars on this forum with people that have already done this swap and have BIG smiles on their faces.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Quote Originally Posted by galant1983 View Post
    i trying to figure out if turboin my 6g72 is a good idea or should i just go with a evo motor.what do u guys think?
    Also to answer the question about the Evo 8 swap, for the 6g72 G you can not swap it unless your looking into spending more than your asking for. Sub frames are different between the 4g64 and the 6g72 Gs but not saying it is not possible cuz it can be done but you are looking at alot more work. Trust me you will be very happy with the 6g74 swap since thats alot easier than the 6g75. But if you really wanna get the job done I would loooooove love love the 6g75 in a G. Thats a pretty nice sleeper

Quote Originally Posted by djakay View Post
    Evo engine will not fit in 6g72 frame, well at least not without enormous modifications.
    just more wiring and changing a few parts..really not ALOT more work..well at least for me not enough not to go through with the swap...matts car was a v6 before the evo motor

thanxs guys

Quote Originally Posted by Censee View Post
    just more wiring and changing a few parts..really not ALOT more work..well at least for me not enough not to go through with the swap...matts car was a v6 before the evo motor
    Yes that also...completly forgot about how much wiring you have to do, but dont think its that much to not be able to do it its the time you have on your hands to get the job done right. Goodluck with it

4 cyl subframes run for about 100 bucks all day.

if you're talking about best bang for the buck you wont beat a 4g63 swap.
    for a 6gxx to make the same power as a 4g63 (stock) you'll have to spend a good amount of money.

aftermarket support for 4g63 is enormous; anything for a 6gxx is gonna cost you a significant amount more.

not to mention the amount of reliability.

4g63 ftw.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

haha^ agreed but what about the evo 8 head, with the 2.4 block...? i thought that had more potential than just the straight 4g63t...

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

My chassis is V6 but the motor is Evo. :)

Thanks to Cali!
    Love,
    Matt

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galantman03 View Post
    haha^ agreed but what about the evo 8 head, with the 2.4 block...? i thought that had more potential than just the straight 4g63t...
    Potential in terms of more displacement. If your power goals are at or under 400whp, drop in an EVO8 motor, EVO9 turbo, EVO ECU, aftermarket cams, intake, exhaust and intercooler and you'll make 400whp all day.

If your planning to build the motor, the 4G64 bottom end is the way to go because the blocks are a dime a dozen where as you would spend a solid $500+ on a good Evo block and they are much harder to find. The 4G64 block also allows for more combo's depending on which internals you use, you can be 2.1, 2.2 or 2.4. The 2.1 and 2.2 motors make a little more torque than the 2.0 but still rev as high, the 2.4 makes alot more torque but tops out at 7500-8000 RPMs, max.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Potential in terms of more displacement. If your power goals are at or under 400whp, drop in an EVO8 motor, EVO9 turbo, EVO ECU, aftermarket cams, intake, exhaust and intercooler and you'll make 400whp all day.

If your planning to build the motor, the 4G64 bottom end is the way to go because the blocks are a dime a dozen where as you would spend a solid $500+ on a good Evo block and they are much harder to find. The 4G64 block also allows for more combo's depending on which internals you use, you can be 2.1, 2.2 or 2.4. The 2.1 and 2.2 motors make a little more torque than the 2.0 but still rev as high, the 2.4 makes alot more torque but tops out at 7500-8000 RPMs, max.
    so you could get the 2.4 block and make it a 2.2 with a stroker kit.. hmmm, now you got me thinking.... so what way do most people go, more torque, or higher revving? and that brings me to my next question, what determines the revving capabilities of a motor? is it all about mass of the internals and bigger displacement? or if you go forged internals, can you rev the 2.4 to match the 2.0 or 2.2?

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant