The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What's the best way to go about replacing my tranny mount?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

What's the best way to go about replacing my tranny mount?

Hey guys,

My front transmission mount has been bad since the day I got the car (10k miles ago), and I'm wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on the best way to go about replacing it.
    (My other mounts are starting to wear out faster because of it)

The center frame rail (runs from behind the engine and bolts to the center of the radiator support) was damaged by the previous owner when he crashed it.

From above:
    http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxxlJ2A

The frame rail:
    http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqAYEV0

One more:
    http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVnaLwr

Also, my auto tranny shifts rather rough from 1st to 2nd gear, unless I let off on the gas in a certain way during the shift. Do you think that this tranny mount might be the cause of it? I've already flushed the trans fluid 4-5 times and it has a new filter.

Thanks for your help!!!
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

I would keep the center member installed as well as the other 3 mounts. This is what I do when I remove my trans mount, take one nut off one of the studs, then put it on another stud without removing its own nut and tighten the secod nut onto the bottom nut. Then turn the bottom nut as if you were loosening it and the stud should pull out. Do the same to the rest of the studs, then remove the through bolt that hold it to the fram rail and slide the mount out.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I'm worried though, because of how bent-out-of-shape the center member is, that the new tranny mount would be almost impossible to install.

I wouldn't be able to align the holes in the mount bracket to the engine. Do you think I should just replace the center member with a new one? Or should I just drill new bolt holes in the center member, to allow the new mount to fit?
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

if the center member is that bent, I would totally replace it. In that case, make sure you have a jack or hoist to support the engine when you remove the mount.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Aiight cool, I'll start looking online / in junkyards for a new center member.

Thanks for your help!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    are you sure it is that bent? if it isnt bent the front mount is the easiest to replace.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

oh haha i'm positive it's bent. i got this car free from a guy who ran it into a stopped car at 45 mph. deployed both airbags and bent the frame

if you look at that "from above" picture, you'll see that the engine mount is currently bent at a really odd angle. Instead of being parallel to the engine block, the mount is bent about 25 degrees from stock. this is because the center member that the mount is bolted to is twisted.

this odd angle is what made the engine mount go bad. there was simply too much strain on the rubber.

If you don't straighten the core support and frame horns you will probably never get the new center member to line up and bolt in right. If you want to do it cheap make your own mount or chain the sucker (I know its crude but pretty darn cheap and easy).

What do you mean by "chain it"?

Use a chain as an engine mount? lol

yes a piece of steel chain. The front and rear mounts are simply roll stop mounts. Is it the perfect solution probably not but it is a cheap quick fix. Judging by your pictures I can see it being a real pain in the butt if you cant line things up.

UPDATE:
    A few days ago, with the help of my friend and his truck, we straightened out the center frame rail, using a set of tie straps tied to the frame rail 180 degrees from it's deformation. Using tension and a hammer, I was able to tap it about an inch and a half back to center.

This was just enough to allow me to replace the trans mount
    I had to drill out new holes in the radiator support for the 2 bolts to go through, because the rad. support is still bent.

I'll post some pictures up here in a few days

unfortunately, the new mount did not make the 1st to 2nd gear shift smoother.

Auto trannys for this year and model seem to be particularly bad. The auto trans in my car was rebuilt 20K miles ago and is going bad again