The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Broke of temp sending unit inside housing. Cant get it out!!!

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Broke of temp sending unit inside housing. Cant get it out!!!

I went to repalce my tempsensor unit,the one that sends a signal to the instrument cluster to show you coolant temp. It broke off inside the housing,pissed me off. What can I do now? There is nothing to get a bite on to unturn it on the out side its flush inside the hole and broke off a little bit inside the threads. Whta can I do.please?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    you're going to have to remove the thermostat/sensor housing from the head (see: coolant spilling everywhere) and break off the rest of it from the inside
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

How do I do that. I found only two bolts holding it on to the head one long bolt and one short bolt. It still wont come off. There is a metal holse under it that it is attached too also. Any ideas how I can get it off? Or pics?

Yeah i just sealed it off. Then I broke a thermostat bolt half way. and on top of that the hose clamp fucked up on me. Really bad day. Calling it quits. Thanks for the advice. I think its about time to get a nother ride,somehow and junk what I have now.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    man if this is all it's taking for you to give up......i wouldn't touch cars anymore except to drive them
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Ive had this car for over three years . It already had 170 miles on it when I got it. I have 220000 miles on it now. Ive spent thousands of dollars on it. I have done so much stuff. I replace something that needs fixing and then something else fails . I have never given up before. But for now yeah. I dont have the tools to fix it. I left it in and just rtv sealed it. I put a new thermostat on it because its been a good while and I broke a bolt off one side as well. I have one in the other side with rtv sealant if it will hold I will drive it till it blows up,but Its old and on its way out. I got my money out of it when I bought it and spent way more fixing it up and maintance. I nver quit with it.but I think its time. Plus I dont know what to do now. It liable to leak or bust open and with no sender Ill never knoe till smoke comes up or it seizes up. Thanks for the help.

Take the 3 bolts(only 2 now) off that hold the whole thermostat housing to the head and the steel pipe will separate with a little wiggling/pulling. If you are lucky a stub of the bolt will be sticking out spray it with a good penetrant like pb blaster, let it sit for a while, grab it with vice grips and twist out. If it is flush or below surface of the head you will need to drill it out.

continued 170000 miles on it when I bought it.

I saw two bolts only and tries wiggleing it off no luck. So i said screw it and put it back together and sealed it with RTV sealant. I liable to do more damage two it than it already is. All it is is a dummy light any ways,but A crucial one at that. Thanks for the hel . It looked like it was weled together. I even tried beateing it off with a happer mallet and a wood block and it would 'n move. Forget it. I wish I kne someone who lived in my area. Sucks!!

It is really quite easy but you have to remove the third bolt. Wipe off the grease/crud and you will find it.

You have any pics man. I swear I dont see it. Plus I put it all back together. Called it quits for today. On top of that I broke a bolt off in the thermostat housing. The bolts were old as hell and Im sure the heat doesnt help them over time. Pretty damn rusty. I went to torq them down as well and broke the one off to the far side colsest to the firewall. Its just been a bad day for all this,plus on top its my only ride. Sucks to be me!!,lol@

Sorry no pics. If you are facing it the bolts are located at 12o'clock 3o'clock and 6o'clock.

I found one on top and one on bottom. i dont see any more. It looks like its on the coolant metal hose really well.
    Could you maybe take a picture or find one for the car. I looked in my Haynes and Chilton book and cant find nothing about the housing.

I left it sealed it all up and will mess with it later down the road.

Running great now. Still no temp sending unit to cluster. Can i rig it some other way to work?