The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G 5 speed hyundai sonata swap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 46
    like what? trannys been in the car for almost 2 years running fine. About to swap in my second tranny in the spring since i experimented/learned on this one. Everything there is to know is stated in the first post. The rest can be ignored.

Only sonata f5m42 swapped. N/A build in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust power View Post
    like what? trannys been in the car for almost 2 years running fine. About to swap in my second tranny in the spring since i experimented/learned on this one. Everything there is to know is stated in the first post. The rest can be ignored.
    Okay cool. I'm just exploring options for the future. You never know with the auto
    -Andrew

can i get away with using a eclipse shifter or a evo shifter ? and what about the cables? can i also use 3g cables?
    Evo 8 Head, BC 288/288 BC Springs & Retainers, Weisco Pistons and Eagle Rods 2.4 (Comperssion 9.5:1) ARP Headstuds and Mainstuds, Cosmetic Headgasket, New Clevite Bearings all around, Evo 8 Oil Pump, English Racing water pump, Gates Racing Timing belt, Findanza Adjustable cams, 2 255 walboro pumps, RC 1000s, AEM Rail, and 5 Speed swapped, powered by a 6262 T3 w/ .82 A/R.. WILL MY TRANNY HOLD THIS? Lets wait and see :)

Im also interested in this swap, because looking at the prices out here i can buy that transmission for 475 on car-part.com
    Evo 8 Head, BC 288/288 BC Springs & Retainers, Weisco Pistons and Eagle Rods 2.4 (Comperssion 9.5:1) ARP Headstuds and Mainstuds, Cosmetic Headgasket, New Clevite Bearings all around, Evo 8 Oil Pump, English Racing water pump, Gates Racing Timing belt, Findanza Adjustable cams, 2 255 walboro pumps, RC 1000s, AEM Rail, and 5 Speed swapped, powered by a 6262 T3 w/ .82 A/R.. WILL MY TRANNY HOLD THIS? Lets wait and see :)

Quote Originally Posted by Laidback8g View Post
    can i get away with using a eclipse shifter or a evo shifter ? and what about the cables? can i also use 3g cables?
    The floor shifter wont hold the sonatas cables. Im not 100% if the eclipse cable is long enough or too long etc to mount to the tranny and back. I would experiment but im done with experimenting lol

Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    Okay cool. I'm just exploring options for the future. You never know with the auto
    True
    Quote Originally Posted by Laidback8g View Post
    Im also interested in this swap, because looking at the prices out here i can buy that transmission for 475 on car-part.com
    One tool you need to use a lot is a disc grinder of some sort

Question. I recall reading on another forum about this same swap and it stated that the shifting is different. It is push style intsead of pull or vice versa. So as i understand it 2nd is in 1st and 1st is in 2nd and so fourth.

What? push or pull is how the Throw Out Bearing and Pressure Plate interact.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

thats why he turned the TOB rod counter clockwise to address this issue

aaahhhhhh. Thats what i thought but then i read this....http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclip...ternative.html

VTECH Killer is talking about a kit to convert. I just wanted to make sure i was understanding all of this.

Every thing on that 3g forum is speculation. Yes it is a pull style clutch thats it. If your taking all of the required manual parts off a sonata and onto a galant why would the gears be in a different arrangement? virtually nothing changes it shifts and drives like a convectional standard. I made this thread cause i actually installed it any other threads might throw you off.

The things I wonder about with using the Sonata transmission are the availability of poly motor mount inserts and a decent clutch. If somebody were to do this swap and later on decide to turbo their car, without access to those 2 items would be banging their head against a brick wall.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Tiburon 2.7, the sonata 2.7 and G4JS share the same clutch as i see in my searches. So finding a good/strong clutch shouldnt be hard. The transmission mount is a great deal bigger then mitsu's but if needed im sure a urethane one could be custom @ low cost.
    And for a lsd im sure a 3g one would work (dont have any hard facts but i read that info some where).

nice find on the clutch! I checked some things here at work and does in fact show that we sell the same clutch for the sonata 2.0 and the tiburon 2.7.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

I highly doubt a Mitsubishi diff would fit in a Hyundai trans.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    nice find on the clutch! I checked some things here at work and does in fact show that we sell the same clutch for the sonata 2.0 and the tiburon 2.7.
    Yeah certain years the 2.4 and 2.7 engine share the same clutch for my na build i might run a stage one exedy which is good enough for my expected numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    I highly doubt a Mitsubishi diff would fit in a Hyundai trans.
    Actually there the same transmission internally if memory serves correct ill have to triple check but ive done research but i never documented anything so i cant remember 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust power View Post
    Yeah certain years the 2.4 and 2.7 engine share the same clutch for my na build i might run a stage one exedy which is good enough for my expected numbers.

Actually there the same transmission internally if memory serves correct ill have to triple check but ive done research but i never documented anything so i cant remember 100%
    the 2.4L I4 and 2.7L V6 use the same tranny just different bellhousing, so use a LSD for the Tiburon 2.7.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by mysticj View Post
    the 2.4L I4 and 2.7L V6 use the same tranny just different bellhousing, so use a LSD for the Tiburon 2.7.
    Thanks for the info! ill defiantly do more research to be 100%

possibly wrong thread as this question is 6g7X related;

would any of the hyundai v6 gearboxes bolt upto a 6g7x?? say the manua box from a tiburon 2.7L v6? it uses the delta v6, and from pictures it looks to share the same bell housing bolt pattern as a 6g7x

^^^pics of said bell housing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast