The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Coilover info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

Coilover info

Ok so I am looking into geting some coilovers for my G-lant. I have tried to get some info on the Internet but because we don't have that many options for the 7g I haven't been able to find any of the information that I am wanting. So I have come to you guys and girls for help. Any info or sugestions that you have will be helpfull.
    1. What brands do you have or brands that you would recommend?
    2. Are thier any brands that offer the pillowball mount with the adjustments for camber?
    3. Can I lower my car about 1 or 1.5 in without camber adjustments or new camber plates?

So Im sure that I will think of something else.

Look at my bad a$$ new sig. vvvvv
    Last edited by 98mgalant; 08-08-2010 at 10:09 PM

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 98mgalant View Post
    Ok so I am looking into geting some coilovers for my G-lant. I have tried to get some info on the Internet but because we don't have that many options for the 7g I haven't been able to find any of the information that I am wanting. So I have come to you guys and girls for help. Any info or sugestions that you have will be helpfull.
    2. Are thier any brands that offer the pillowball mount with the adjustments for camber?
    3. Can I lower my car about 1 or 1.5 in without camber adjustments or new camber plates?

1. Our Vendor JM Auto Racing sells D2 Racing Coilovers for the 7g.
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 08-08-2010 at 11:24 PM

4g64T 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    okfor the 7g go D2 or megan

no camber plates as the 7g suspension is multi link, you will need adjustable balljoint to help correct the negative camber
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

the camber aint that bad though. I had Skunk2 coils and had the car slammed and the camber was not off by a lot. I guess each car is different, but It may not be necessary

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    1. Our Vendor JM Auto Racing sells D2 Racing Coilovers for the 7g.
    howmuch? I have been thinkin about ditchin my eibachs for a little lower ride
    Last edited by evil-G-nius; 08-09-2010 at 02:52 AM

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    okfor the 7g go D2 or megan

no camber plates as the 7g suspension is multi link, you will need adjustable balljoint to help correct the negative camber
    Do you know where can I get adjustable ball joints?

Thanks to everyone that replied.

ebay, the SPC balljoints are good
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Good news. I think that I already have adjustable ball joints. Am I right?

sorry for the blur.

TGC Regular
    Yes.. Go get an alignment

Ok I'm back with a couple more questions.
    1.will I need any specialty tools for this?
    2. Do we have a how to thead on tgc.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    You shouldn't need any special tools to make adjustments with that adjustable ball joint. Just take it to a alignment shop to they can properly align the car.

Depends on your budget and what you plan to use it for.

Basically there are 2 different types of coilovers:

-Sleeve type which goes over a conventional strut/shock

-1 piece type which the sleeve is part of the strut/shock among other features and benefits.

Sleeve type coilovers will be cheaper but you also have to consider that if you want to lower the car properly with a sleeve type coilover you have to upgrade your shocks and struts. Problem is if you lower the car too low on a sleeve type coilover the strut/shock piston rod travel is reduced too which in some cases depending on he type of shock/strut you get will prematurely blow out the unit. Ebay units are garbage..I know $20 coilovers sounds good, but the issue is the spring rates are not even for the car and not to mention the quality material the springs are made of.

1 piece coilovers are different because when you want to adjust the height..the whole strut/shock unit is moved so the piston rod compression travel is not reduced in a lowered car. Plus they have more benefits usually with multiple damper adjustments, camber adjustments(mcpherson type), etc etc..but much more expensive.

Tein have a pillowball mount available...I have them in my car right now, but they are from a 2g application but as you know, 7g and 2g Eclipse are the same chassis/suspension wise. Pillowball mounts advantage is it eliminates the use of the OEM bushings on the OEM strut plate which wear out through time. The pillowball mount also better response steering response and overall handling response and feel.

Camber is adjusted with either a adjustable ball joint like you have or like the Ingalls camber kit which attaches to the upper control arm base mounts and either pushes the whole arm out or inward to acheive desired camber.

You can lower you car up to 1.5" w/o any type of extra camber correction as the factory adjustment can handle it. Anything lower than 1.5" though would require some type of camber kit.

Just to give you a idea ...here is my current setup, BUT not for long though.
    -Skunk 2 coilovers
    -KYB AGX
    -Tein front upper pillowball mounts
    -Ingalls front camber kit
    -DIY rear camber kit

If you have any more questions..check out my sig, I am at GT majority of the time.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

no special tools are needed. save up and go for the 1 piece D2s or megans and avoid the headache. its easy to put in the D2s, but once they are in go get the suspension tuned to your liking as there is no way you will get everything even by yourself and get an alignment
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Ya I'm pretty sure that I'm going to het the D2s. Do the instal myself get the hight were I want it and then take it for alignment. Right now I'm still looking for the right setup. Thinking D2. Does anyone on TGC have the D2s?

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

I think member DOHCstnr swears for D2, he broke one in a accident and he got a replacement shock for $60 and arrived in 2 days, he says they have awesome customer service.

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    I think member DOHCstnr swears for D2, he broke one in a accident and he got a replacement shock for $60 and arrived in 2 days, he says they have awesome customer service.
    also i am getting these for mine and i have installed them on my rb25 240sx and they are amazing

also megans or on my friends sti and they are great too
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Alright thanks guys. BTW my 98 galant will finaly have a 98 front end on it. picked one up today I'm gunna try to make a lip out of my old bumper, its junk any way.
    Last edited by 98mgalant; 08-18-2010 at 10:20 PM

st saw these. maybe if you are on a budget these are a nice setup. they are 200 less than the d2s and higher end megans

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN...Q5fAccessories
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

I plan to go to D2's as well once I get my car back up and running. I love my eibachs but....I dont know...want a change

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Ok so I got the D2s and love them but some times when I hit a bump in the road or bridges there is a loud bang like noise that comes from the front driverside. I try not to hit any bumps and slow down for them but sometimes it is inevitable, it just happens. I'm thinking that my wheel may be hitting the fender well, but I don't think that it's that low. Any suggestions? Also how long should I weight till I get an alighnment?

I will post pics when I get home or you can look in picks of your car as it sets

Ok so I got the D2s and love them but some times when I hit a bump in the road or bridges there is a loud bang like noise that comes from the front driverside. I try not to hit any bumps and slow down for them but sometimes it is inevitable, it just happens. I'm thinking that my wheel may be hitting the fender well, but I don't think that it's that low. Any suggestions? Also how long should I weight till I get an alighnment?

I will post pics when I get home or you can look in picks of your car as it sets
    i wouldn't wait more than a day after i got my car lowered to go get it aligned. when i had my coilovers installed, i had it aligned the same day.

Coilovers should always be aligned and corner balanced for optimum handling. If that is what you are going for.
    97 galant... Parts ordered
    07 Ford Edge...family hauler
    02 basset hound.. Low and speedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast