The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Summer Tires vs All Season Tires

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21
    You are here entirely tooo much!!

Summer Tires vs All Season Tires

What is the difference between "High Performance Summer" tires and "High Performance All-Season" tires? I live in Los Angeles so it doesn't snow or really get that cold. I want to buy Summer tires because they have good grip but dont want to end up skidding one day when it rains real bad. Thanks for the help guys =]

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    summer are more grippier for rain and dry.. then all season...summer treadlife is shorter then all season usually 300 treadwear or less for summer while all season 400+

I go with All Season tires. Worked well, especially in the snow (even using manual). Never had a problem with driving in rain. If you do get tires, alot of members (including me) used discounttiredirect.com; i got 4 for about $300 shipped, probably could find a better deal there.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

so summer has more grip than all season, but all season lasts longer than summer?

Yup. When I first started getting tires, I only went with All-Season, but i'm sure many members get the summer tires for summer, then put on steelies and winter tires for the cold season.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd

I run summer tires all season. They definately do suck in the cold.

Thanks guys, i live in Cali so it never snows or gets under like 50 degrees =]

Experienced TGC Member
    Budget UHP all-seasons: Kumho Ecsta ASX do it
    -Chris

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    i went personally went with eagle gt's again but i'll probably buy another set of wheels to put continental Dw's

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    i went with all season Eagle Gt and i love them they grip really well and have a nice tread pattern too they were rated way better then Kumho Ecsta ASX mentioned and between both tires if i remember correctly it was only 2 or 3 dollar differences ohh and there rated best all season high performance Tire at TireRack.com and i paid 70 dollars per tire but im rolling on 15
    Last edited by jimmy_o2; 08-09-2010 at 05:38 PM
    03 I4

I use summer tires in snow and they are so much worse then when I ran all season in snow. Other than that I have not seen any issues with tread life.

Tires are like shoes, you need to wear the right ones for the right activity. Running shoes suck for hiking in snow and snow boots suck for sprinting. You can get one pair that does a little of everything but you won't excel at anything either. I'd suggest you go to TireRack.com and read up on the differences. Your choice in tire really depends on what you want out of your car. You should NEVER run a summer tire below freezing temperatures. The rubber compound isn't designed for it and neither is the tread pattern. If you need to run in below freezing temps and don't want a second set of winter tires (for all you more nothern people) get all-seasons.

Emerson, if you want a nice summer tire for a good price I'd suggest the Kumho SPT tire. I've run it for quite a while. It gives a good balance between high performance and tread life. It has also been a close second in a lot of TireRack tests but way lower in price than the #1 tires. The MX is sticker but won't last as long. Do your reading on comparison tests on the Rack and you'll find what you're after and learn quite a bit in the process.
    Last edited by eclipsh; 08-09-2010 at 06:46 PM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

If you live in LA, run summer tires. I personally run BFGoodrich G-Force KDW2s. My next set is going to be Continental Extreme Contact DW (Dry & Wet) summer tires. Btw, I have a good website you can buy from, pm me if you are interested.

im thinking of going with Nexens N3000, anyone have any experience with these? Ive had them and had pretty good grip =]

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Continental Extreme Contact DW (Dry & Wet) summer tires.
    Great Tires. Had their Extreme Contact series before and loved them, but treadwear was a bit much for me; though it may of been a bad set of tires. Fairly soft on the sidewalls as well.
    -Chris

Can never go wrong with Falkens. My last set was great in all weather, comfortable and not noisy.

Dunlop star spec's ftw they are the top rated extreme performance summer tire on the market right now and not that expensive. All the drifters are switching to them and a ton of people that do auto cross are running them. I got my set from tirerack for 500 shipped.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    Can never go wrong with Falkens. My last set was great in all weather, comfortable and not noisy.
    Yes!! Falken Ziex ZE910 is what I always use, really good grip even in winter conditions. :D

mahera
    High Performance All-Season Tires:-
    You want all-season versatility (including light snow traction) to drive your sports coupe or sedan in all weather conditions. Latest price of it’s around $80-100.
    High Performance Summer Tires:-
    You want a good blend of dry and wet street performance when "re-tiring" your sports coupe or sedan.
    Latest price of high performance summer tire is around $80-120.

BFG G-force super sport is a good all round tire. I run them on my Work XD-9 and SF-winnings on the G35. really good treadwear, very good grip, no tire chirp, quiet, handles good in the rain, with the non existent rain we've had in so cal.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast