The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cold air intake questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

Cold air intake questions

I recently bought a cold air intake,and im waiting on it to come in the mail, but i have a few questions... Does the cai really give you better gas mileage?, how many sensors are there besides the mass air flow? how easy is it to install?, and whats the chances of me hydrolocking? it would be very helpful if all these questions are answered! so PLEASE help me out, please and thank you!

shorten it to ram when its raining= no hydrolocking

Easy as hell to install unless your tools are gum and chopsticks

sensors are MAFS- {4xo2Sensors on the exhuast pipes and the two sensors on your throttle body}-but you dont have to touch those to install it

Yes better gas milage if you drive normal but most people wanna vroom vroom and feel the extra 15 HP the CAI claims it gives..........

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    shorten it to ram when its raining= no hydrolocking

Easy as hell to install unless your tools are gum and chopsticks

sensors are MAFS- {4xo2Sensors on the exhuast pipes and the two sensors on your throttle body}-but you dont have to touch those to install it

Yes better gas milage if you drive normal but most people wanna vroom vroom and feel the extra 15 HP the CAI claims it gives..........
    Lol man your funny ;)
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 08-15-2010 at 12:27 AM

4g64T 5spd

that all sounds very simple thanks, its totally worth it

dont worry its really simple,only the maf sensor that all,,
    god luck with that buddy

8th and 9th gen galants

Quote Originally Posted by madkilla View Post
    dont worry its really simple,only the maf sensor that all,,
    god luck with that buddy
    hey thanks man im really looking forward to it.. first real mod besides the subs and led lights.. hey do you have a strut bar or yours?

hey i got another question, i was informed that after i installed the intake, that i am supposed to reset the ecu by disconnecting the negative battery cable, is this true?

its more for the MAF than the ecu but yes take off the neg for 5 min...i usually just take off - & + since i find myself doing other things and forgeting the time. Both off makes sure battery wont go dead if you forget time. Plus its easier to do every thing with battery out of the bay since thats the area your concentrating your work in...just dont put the battery on the ground put it in the trunk or back seat.

X2. is for the MAF sensor. Dont turn the car on with the MAF sensor unplug. You will get a check engine light. Also like jubeiaire said disconnect the - terminal of the battery before disconnecting any sensor cable just to be in the safe side. U will have a lots of fun with your first mod. U will gain about 5 more HP. Not a big gain but anything to help the engine breath better. The less the engine force it self the more MPG you get.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

blue8g
    CAI isn't worth it

Simple as pie. Just be gentle when handling the MAF sensor. I took the battery completely out when I installed mine, for more room, plus I wanted to clean the battery terminals without getting corrosion dust all over the engine bay.

hey thanks guys, i installed mine today, best mod ive ever done.

ok i have a good question !!!!!!!! so i benn running my car with CAI and i was wondering to get full advantage of that should i install a bigger catalyc converter and a new exhaust pipe? i was just wondering bc i dont want my g to sound like those honda lawnmowers ya'll know what im talking about!!!!!!

blue8g
    don't bother with exhaust, it will just make your car loud and annoying with no power benefits

Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    CAI isn't worth it
    LOL. it is worth it when you put the right mod on it. Like changing the headers, cat back, while you at it changing the piston and camshaft. CAI is easy and cheep and it helps a little hp. Not everyone could go TURBO or have a head or 5 speed swap because of the $$$$. I have a CAI, headers and a full magnaflow cat. I will tell you is a different in HP at higher rpm. I could burn any stock G. LOL.

SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

blue8g
    TJ:

"I've never understood how people at all claim they can tell performance differences among mods that only change horsepower output by a few percent. The human brain and body aren't very good at measuring acceleration, and any possible gains you ever do perceive are as easily caused by differences in atmospheric conditions.

Intakes are a waste of money on anything that doesn't make a decent amount of specific output. Plain and simple. I can pull 5 degrees of timing on my Galant which may result in a drop of about 50 WHP. I would BARELY notice that at WOT. That's 50 WHP, in a car I'm intimately familiar with, and by somebody who has driven and tuned a plethora of performance cars... how the hell does anybody else claim to be able to tell a difference of < 5 WHP? That's absurd.

Don't buy an intake, save up for a turbo system if that's what you want to do long-term. That intake will just be wasted money. It's not like a 4 banger sounds good with an intake anyway. I fucking HATE the engine noise that comes from my 4B11. Leave it stock, leave it simple, until you want to do something serious with it."

I don't care how you feel about him, he made more power than anyone else with this platform

Bro good for him. Not everyone wants to make 400+ HP. Some people are happy with what they have and what they could get. We all know over and over to make HP out our G you need BOOST "turbo or supercharger" But you need bread for that. Just dont let the member down if they only could afford a simple mod just by saying is no good or it sucks. Just advice with good info about that mod. Later you could say "for the future i will recommend doing x thing"

SOHC Turbo

blue8g
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    Bro good for him. Not everyone wants to make 400+ HP. Some people are happy with what they have and what they could get. We all know over and over to make HP out our G you need BOOST "turbo or supercharger" But you need bread for that. Just dont let the member down if they only could afford a simple mod just by saying is no good or it sucks. Just advice with good info about that mod. Later you could say "for the future i will recommend doing x thing"
    Then I'll say this. Do 5 speed swap and/or turbo, or don't bother with "performance" mods

Just lower it, get wheels, and call it a day

Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    Then I'll say this. Do 5 speed swap and/or turbo, or don't bother with "performance" mods

Just lower it, get wheels, and call it a day
    yea that was my next step to lower it, and save up for the wheels and tires over the winter, then when i get enough money afterwards, ill get the 5speed, but my G already has 200k on it so idk whats going to happen next

ISMASG90
    Yea, get the most important parts for your car first bro, then customize it. It's just a car not a rocket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast