The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 18" Question - Yes I have Searched

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29
    FuegoNegro8g

Icon4 18" Question - Yes I have Searched

I was interested in this set of wheels and i have checked the specs and i know that they will fit. My question lies with offset and what it affects. I wanted to know if anyone had deep dish wheels and any possible problems or issues that this might cause. My knowledge is not that great but i have been using this page as a reference https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=18010

I have 03 Galant fully stock. Ill be looking in to suspension later possible AGX and Springs. I also wanted to know if dropping might be an issue later. Nothing crazy maybe just an inch or so. I have been reading forum for month now. But reading specs kool and all but others experience helps as well.

Specs
    Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3
    Rim Diameter: 18"
    Rim Width: 7.5
    Offset: 40

Let the bashing of a Novice begin...

Side Note.. I dont care about you opinions about how the wheels look, or how you would go with another style or how you dont like them. I just care about information regarding possible issues regarding problems with rub, suspension, fit etc..

FuegoNegro8g
    Im still searching as we speak. The only reason i posted is because i needed an answer faster then id prob find one through google or searching forums here. Im trying to get thse by Friday. I dont know what but i like the deep dish look.

blue8g
    they'll fit that's not aggressive at all

although fyi they won't have a 'deep dish'

FuegoNegro8g
    I guess the picture is misleading the because it looks like the lip is at least 3 or 4 inches deep.

blue8g
    Quote Originally Posted by FuegoNegro8g View Post
    I guess the picture is misleading the because it looks like the lip is at least 3 or 4 inches deep.
    it won't be anywhere near that big

maybe 1-1.5"

this is my old 8" wide wheel with a +40 offset

FuegoNegro8g
    Glad i posted here because that would have sucked to get them and find out the hard way.

Not that i like any of the above wheels i was just curious if anyone knew the brands or if they were any good. I have searched online but so far now luck. They only have the letter on the center piece. Im guessing they are crap but figure id still ask. I was thinkin about going with Tenzo but im on the fence .

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    if you want something with a nice lip, i suggest getting 19's. fills up your wheel gap a bit nicer and looks good on Galants without going too big.

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

blue8g
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    if you want something with a nice lip, i suggest getting 19's. fills up your wheel gap a bit nicer and looks good on Galants without going too big.
    how will that add lip? lip is just all about the wheel's design, offset, and width

19's are also expensive. tires are crazy expensive

FuegoNegro8g
    I think E_Emerson88 is talking about having the appearance of more wheel and less tire. I did think about 19", until i saw that all around they are more expensive than 20". Well at least in regards to the price of tires.

E_Emerson88 what are the specs on your tires, those things are wrapped nice and tight around those wheels. I like that look, looks clean. Though with the way i drive and the roads out here it wouldn't be a smart choice for me.

I wanted 20" until i realized that id never really be able to lower the car that much. So i opted for 18". This card is a DD as well so I'm not trying to go to crazy. I'm just going all black front to back.
    Last edited by FuegoNegro8g; 08-17-2010 at 05:54 PM

You can look into Motegi, not super expensive wheels, and decent. My 19" Motegi's have about a 2" lip. That is about as big as you will get without getting into 3-piece wheels.

These MSW's wheel have also a 'lip' or at least much closer to what you are looking for.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...w%2FRed+Stripe

These Focal's shouldn't be too bad either, and they are all black (Flat Black) to boot!

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...+Black+Painted

Though, you aren't really going to be getting any super big lip with only a 7-8" wheel. You need to get into 9"-10" wide wheels.

As for offset and what it affects?

Maybe a picture can illustrate best...

It can affect what is called 'scrub radius', which should basically be zero, or the centerline from the wheel down, and from the strut down should be meeting. The difference is what is the 'scrub radius'. It isn't THAT critical, and isn't a safety issue per se. But excessive scrub radius can lead to wheel bearing problems, suspension problems, and severe tire wear issues. Though, I should mention again, with the standard fitments the majority of people are using, this is never an issue.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Ok the wheels your looking probably are going to have 2"-3" lip, but it isn't going to be a deep dish with that offset, the center of the wheel will be even with outer lip like mine:

I'm on 20" and lowered but in the next couple of weeks you'll see if you can get low with 20's, I have 225/35 tire which is taller than what is supposed to be used with 20's, with the right offset and width and using 30 series tire you can go low with 20", you'll most likely need to roll you 1/4's, but if your roads suck don't even think about 20's you'll bend them easily.
    Last edited by OMEGA PHX; 08-17-2010 at 07:52 PM

4g64T 5spd

FuegoNegro8g
    Thanks everyone for helping me out. And RedGalant2k1 thanks for breaking down the offset. I kinda knew a little but that diagram and your wording deff breaks it right on down. Haha Deep Dish, SMH .... my fault, i knew i couldnt get that deep esp if the wheel is 7.5. I should have said Dominos Deep Dish lol.

R1 Racing makes some nice wheels too, and theyre not expensive for the 18's if you still want to go that route. I have 18x8 +40 (on a different car) and it still has about a 2" chrome lip. the design of the wheel, with bowed spokes, will allow for a greater lip with a high offset wheel. i'll get a pic or two if i can figure it out on here. i've never used a pic-hosting site, always direct upload on the other forums...

otherwise, Rota wheels are always nice

FuegoNegro8g
    I remember reading somewhere on here through the forums that both Rota and Konig were not good brands. I think one of the Admins on here had pix of how his Konig had bent because they make their wheels cheap. Not sure but i deff remember reading something along those lines.

03chi-town0z - now that you mention it i do see what your talking about with the Bowed spokes. Its like an illusion haha

blue8g
    I remember reading somewhere on here through the forums that both Rota and Konig were not good brands. I think one of the Admins on here had pix of how his Konig had bent because they make their wheels cheap. Not sure but i deff remember reading something along those lines.

03chi-town0z - now that you mention it i do see what your talking about with the Bowed spokes. Its like an illusion haha
    that is true, they both are terrible; they copy expensive wheel designs but whereas a good wheel will be forged/semi-forged (i forgot what SSR's process is called)/etc. these are cheaply cast (flow form iirc) with cheap material

and that admin was Reelax

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    I think E_Emerson88 is talking about having the appearance of more wheel and less tire. I did think about 19", until i saw that all around they are more expensive than 20". Well at least in regards to the price of tires.

E_Emerson88 what are the specs on your tires, those things are wrapped nice and tight around those wheels. I like that look, looks clean. Though with the way i drive and the roads out here it wouldn't be a smart choice for me.

I wanted 20" until i realized that id never really be able to lower the car that much. So i opted for 18". This card is a DD as well so I'm not trying to go to crazy. I'm just going all black front to back.
    yeah thats exactly what i meant about 19's. the tires were 235/35/19 on 19x8.5 wheels. i would always drive real slow since the chrome wheels are real heavy, your not really allowed to go fast lol.

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

FuegoNegro8g
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Emerson88 View Post
    yeah thats exactly what i meant about 19's. the tires were 235/35/19 on 19x8.5 wheels. i would always drive real slow since the chrome wheels are real heavy, your not really allowed to go fast lol.
    That is the exact reason i want to go with a lightweight wheel (though lightweight and 19" or 20" is an oxymoron). Chrome is eye-catching and i like it but just not me. Besides ever since my dumbass went and got a magnaflow put on years ago ( Not full Catback, just the muffler) my gas has not been as good. So i know heavy a$$ chrome would just have me going through gas like i have an 8 banger under the hood.

SOooo... With all that being said 8.5's do fit. The wheel sizing post has little sections saying to go with 7.5 or 8. I always though 8.5 would be flirting with more rubbing then teenagers dry humping.

Is it possible to ride 18" with 225/35 tires. Better yet, is it possible to get smaller tires than 225/45's on 18". Reason i ask is because some people have 18" and they look really clean, while others have a whole Lotta tire. Even still, would it be wise?
    Last edited by FuegoNegro8g; 08-18-2010 at 02:45 PM

blue8g
    umm if you want lightweight the wheels you're looking at are nowhere near lightweight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast