The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 speed pops out of gear

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

5 speed pops out of gear

Just put my 94 GS back on the road after an engine swap because 98 ES auto trans died. So I take her out for a test drive and in town trans if great. Take it out on the interstate and while cruising in 5th gear at 75-80 mph the shifter pops out of gear. Over the next hour it does this several more times. This also happened once in 3rd gear. Is this something that can be adjustment or is it something internal? Suggestions how to proceed much appreciated.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

it could be misaligned shifter/cables or 5th gear syncros are going

Try getting Symborski shifter base bushings and brass shifter cable bushings

The syncros are easy to change too. Its is the first gear set when you pop the rear cover of the tranny. I believe its a 36mm nut and they come out
    Last edited by mko; 08-19-2010 at 01:58 AM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You've got a few things that could be causing this.

First off, since you did an engine swap, double check that all your bell housing bolts are in and tight.

Check the shifter linkage bracket at the transmission to see if it has the correct alignment spacers around the bolts. If it is tilted wrong it can cause issues.

Check to see if your cables were damaged or if the bushings in them are toast.

See if your shifter or anything else is hitting and keeping you from going all the way into gear.

Was this issue there in the past? When you're in 5th gear and step on the gas does the shifter move a lot? (A little is normal due to the motor mounts flexing). If so it could be a loose nut on the input shaft where 5th gear is. This is a known issue and can eat parts if it isn't dealt with. See the pictures of my chewed up input splines in this thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/driv...t-gearset.html

If your motor mounts are really shot it might cause it to pop out of gear too. Good luck with the diagnosis.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

TGC Regular
    check ur 5th gear blocker rings.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i know on the nissans we take the 5th gear and flip it ova to the good side to solve the problem.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Apreciate the suggestions. Trans appears to be mounted correctly and torqued to motor according to specs. FYI: I bolted up the trans to the new motor while it was outside the motor bay when I did the motor swap. Cables and bushings do not show any sign of damage. Bushings are OEM. I am definately able to get the shifter into 5th gear. There isnothig blocking or restricting it.

That makes me think the problem is internal. I have never played with the insides of a trans before. I have downloaded Prophet's copy of the Mit's 1998 Service Manual but there was nothing there about pulling the manual trans apart.

I bought the car with a blown engine so have no idea if the trans was popping out of gear before. I suspect it was. I was told the original owner's daughter was driving the car in second gear on the interstate and over reved it until the engine blew. I now suspect she was driving with the cruise control on and it poped out of gear and that's all she wrote. . The reason being is if you are in 5th gear and driving with the cruise control on (like I was) and the trans pops out of gear (like it did) the engine almost immediately revs right into the red zone. The first time it happpened to me engine RPMs were over 7,000 and climbing before I got the cruise turned off. That was the last time I used the cruise control.

Can anyone point me to a service manual or source that shows/discusses the internal parts of the trans? Thanks, jjj
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

If you're a Demonoid member here's a link to Mitsubishi Service Manuals for all sorts of cars:

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1336707/40403055/

Otherwise check out the DSM Service Manual on CD.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

I had a similar problem....the end nut that holds the internals together backed itself out and so my 5th gear floated out. Messed up the syncro in the process. But tighten up all the internal bolts, at this point change (to be safe) the 3rd and 5th gear syncros and you should be good. Just another thing to check I guess...but like I said....just to be safe! Good luck

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

I didn't have a demonoid account but was able to get a copy of the mitsibushi service manual for all engines and transmissions since 1990 from megaupload.com

In case anyone else wants it, here is a link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JIBALMDP

One caution, it is 500+ mb so it is goig to take a while to down load.

FYI: you didn't have to register to use megaupload
    Click the link and once page loads, do the following:
    1. On the upper right of the page you'll see a small box with a 4 digit alphanumeric passcode in it. Enter this passcode into the box to the right of it.
    2. Now select download file
    3. On the bottom right corner, you'll notice the wait in seconds...starts at 45 seconds and then counts down to 0.
    4. Once the waity second count down to 0, a button labled "DOWNLOAD" will appear.
    4. Click on the button and it's yours!
    jjj

Got another repair manual; Mitsbushi Galant 97-2001. IT is mostly 8g but does have some 7g stuff.
    Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MHDSJTVM

FYI: This is an ISO file which means you have to download to you computer (I use the desktop) and then burn the file to a CD. You can google how to write an iso file if you are not sure what to do. Lots of free software on line to write iso files but most newer computers will already have it installed. jjj
    jjj