The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Undercoat rust proofing prevention

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Undercoat rust proofing prevention

i apologize if this has been discussed already. I tried searching.

Anybody knows what is the most effective undercoat rust prevention? I wanna prep my car this coming winter this time

And im pretty sure a lot of you guys wants to do this same thing before it gets chilly outside.

-RON

something like this maybe in a spray can? for DIY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADoY0d2fnM

-RON

professionally done rhino or linex truck bed liner.... im pretty sure those are the most cost effective way, get it done right, and permament.... i've tried the spray on dyi coatings and even preped the right way... still comes off, especially in the wheel wells, lots of wind in there, and you mix that with salt, sand snow ice, lol its no wonder why it doesn't stay on. i've been wanting to do it, linex that is, because its guarenteed, and when it leaves the spray gun its at around 375*F, and its actually bonds to the metal, and blocks mositure and rust... well thats what the guy said who sells it lol. but if i was going to do it, eventually, i will use linex, and pretty much dissasemble the entire underneath of the car, and get everything taken apart, so when its spray i can still take off like the a arms and cross bars and what not lol hope it helps lol

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

My undercoating has held up great. I used 4 cans of black rust preventive paint, 6 cans of 3m rubberized undercoating and that rust to primer converter. Basically you sand down all rust and use the rust converter on it. It makes everything extremely dry in an hour. Then do the entire thing 2x with black rust preventive paint. After both coats are dry, Begin using the rubberized stuff. It gets extremely messy so I recommend taping the car off to keep it from getting out of hand. After you use all cans let it dry overnight (I used a dehumidifier in the garage).

Anyway I've had the car since 06 and got this done before winter even hit as the car came from georgia and had hardly any rust at all. Good luck and hope this helped a bit

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

thanks peeps! ill try doing this before it gets cold out.!

btw keith, did u go to that edgewater meet in nj? just curious...

-RON