The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AWD Tranny swaps on 4g64 block questions

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    00GalantX

AWD Tranny swaps on 4g64 block questions

I've done a little research on AWD 4g64 setups, and there aren't any that I could find that had the g64 block still. Many say just do evo swap, but that's too expensive and too much can go wrong. I've heard that a 4g69 AWD tranny bolts on to a 4g64 is this truth or BS. And if so will the g69 rear axle bolt up, or will I have to go snatch one off an EVO

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    evo 4g63 tranny bolts right up to the 8g blocks and you use a 2g awd auto rear subframe as the gear ratio in the auto is the same as the evo tranny.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Evo VIII and IX (I think) tranny bolts up to the 4G64

member "Cali" has somewhat been working on doing the AWD swap. For the rear axle/suspension, you need it off a 2G Eclipse GSX automatic.. I think. I can't remember exactly, but there's a few threads on here about it.

EDIT: oh wow he beat me haha. I guess I didn't type fast enough

its all good i know all this from brian(stewi) and roman(goosey2099) talking about it all the time

i should add that its the evo 5 speed not the MR 6 speed
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    The rear suspension from ANY AWD 2G will work but the differential needs to be from an auto car for the gear ratio. If you got one from a 5 speed car you could swap out the ring and pinion from an auto car into it to make it the right ratio.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    The rear suspension from ANY AWD 2G will work but the differential needs to be from an auto car for the gear ratio. If you got one from a 5 speed car you could swap out the ring and pinion from an auto car into it to make it the right ratio.
    to make it easier i just said get a full auto one so he doesnt have to go through the 5 speed deal. and bri, if he got a 5 speed and had to change out the diff wouldnt you also be able to put in an evo 8 diff? i know a 2g guy that used an evo 8 diff in his car. maybe another option for you guys. i know the auto is the same but they are hard to find
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

yeah the evo diffs fit with some bracket mods
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

say you were to use a GSX rear diff.could it be built to support a good deal of power? or would the evo diff be a better option?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtorque View Post
    say you were to use a GSX rear diff.could it be built to support a good deal of power? or would the evo diff be a better option?
    They both have their weak points. I think overall the EVO diff is stronger, but much more expensive. You might be able to get 2 or 3 GSX diffs (gotta search for them) for the price you'd pay for 1 EVO diff.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

damn.. what if you took the evo 8 transmission and used the evo 9s 1st gear ratio.would you have to change something up in the rear?

No. the ratio of individual drive gears won't effect it
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

00GalantX
    Evo 8 5spd tranny and a 2g automatic rear subframe, is this correct??

^ yes, but it needs to be AWD turbo automatic. GSX

only the DIFFERENTIAL ITSELF needs to be from an automatic car. The subframe, gastank and everything else can be from any GSX 5 speed or auto
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS