The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: need some help from the guys running staggered wheels

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

need some help from the guys running staggered wheels

Im looking at getting some wheels from my friend for cheap and they are staggered, curious what offset is the best offset to work with to make them fit.

I know for sure camber adjustment and rolled fenders are a must. ive been toying with getting fender flares also to make fitment look better too. Let me know if this is possible or do i have to rebarrel the wheel and run different offsets.

They're Racing Hart Tracers
    18x8.5 +37 front
    18x9.5 +41 rear

02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

the front should fit fine w/ 235 0r 225
    the rear might b a problem, but on the suspension side... i have coilovers so i have more clearance on the inside but i am running 19x8.5 +48 (235); according to the offset calculator 18x9.5 +41 is 6mm more on the suspension side and 20mm bigger on the fender side. the clearance on my wheels is already very tight on the suspension side and i am camber corrected... running negative in the rear would make the situation even worse and might let the wheel cut the damper. the rears might fit w/ a 5mm spacer in the rear tho.

They may fit depending on the size of the tire and you should switch location the wider one up front. with +37 in the rear chances are you may need some negative camber, but you may be able to get away with a roll and like 215s.

Up front you may even get away with 235s without too much modification on the 9.5 et +41

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    They may fit depending on the size of the tire and you should switch location the wider one up front. with +37 in the rear chances are you may need some negative camber, but you may be able to get away with a roll and like 215s.

Up front you may even get away with 235s without too much modification on the 9.5 et +41
    i don't think he intends to run the wider wheels up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    i don't think he intends to run the wider wheels up front.
    yeah from his post I dont know if he intended to or that is just how his friend ran them. If I was running staggered on a fwd car the wider would probably be up front.

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    yeah from his post I dont know if he intended to or that is just how his friend ran them. If I was running staggered on a fwd car the wider would probably be up front.
    for racing or performance, yes... but for appearance never.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    the rear might b a problem, but on the suspension side... i have coilovers so i have more clearance on the inside but i am running 19x8.5 +48 (235); according to the offset calculator 18x9.5 +41 is 6mm more on the suspension side and 20mm bigger on the fender side. the clearance on my wheels is already very tight on the suspension side and i am camber corrected... running negative in the rear would make the situation even worse and might let the wheel cut the damper. the rears might fit w/ a 5mm spacer in the rear tho.
    The clearance issue in the rear isnt with the damper (coilover) its with the knuckle. The contact will typically be from the top of the wheel to the upper knuckle. Like Reelax said, you will likely need a spacer out back and stretch the tire a little.

Just like Reelax said the fronts will be fine, im running 18x8.5 +25 with 235's up front and im fine, my camber is negative but my front fenders arent even rolled.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

The rear will need cut fenders at that width and offset. My old vsxx were the same size and offset in the rear. I ran a 235 tire with a little stretch. Front shouldn be fine with a fender roll
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

You are going to need to bring the rear wheel out 15 to 20mm more, with 3.5 to 4.5 degrees camber, and a 225/40R18 'should' be flush, and nicely.

You will have more clearance (with 18s over 19s) running 18x9.5 (or 8.5 for that matter) as the rear knuckle is curved. You will need some decent tire stretch to clear things though. But it shouldn't be that difficult a job.

is it safe to run a 15mm spacer? I do plan on running extended studs. do you recommend a certain spacer?

yeah I plan on running on stretched 225s. but yeah fronts shouldn't be a problem. rear clearance is my biggest concern. I definitely think I need to drop another inch to make them look right since the lip is a 2 step lip.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

hurry up and get it done, those rims are nice!! cant wait to see when you put them on
    ________
    party Webcam
    Last edited by BILLET; 04-11-2011 at 04:47 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards View Post
    is it safe to run a 15mm spacer? I do plan on running extended studs. do you recommend a certain spacer?

yeah I plan on running on stretched 225s. but yeah fronts shouldn't be a problem. rear clearance is my biggest concern. I definitely think I need to drop another inch to make them look right since the lip is a 2 step lip.
    If I were going to a 15mm spacer or larger, I would just use the bolt on spacers. There are some good ones on EVOM, they run about $100 for a pair. This way if you can always take them off if you need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by dronesurfboards View Post

A lot of VIP guys use Project Kics.

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...s_Wheel_Spacer

You can buy 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm, and 30mm spacers. Though I'd suggest you get hubcentric spacers if you do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    If I were going to a 15mm spacer or larger, I would just use the bolt on spacers. There are some good ones on EVOM, they run about $100 for a pair. This way if you can always take them off if you need to.
    This too is one reason to run spacers. If you are trying to fit uncommon to rare wheels, or wheels just a little to wide spacers can be used to help with fitment. And when used correctly, and torqued to the same vehicle spaces it isn't a big deal at all.

Then when you take off the wheels, you can take off the spacers.

front will fit fine. when i ran a 19x9.5 (+45) in the rear, i think i used a 5mm spacer to clear the knuckle. for the tires, i would run 215 on the front and 225 on the rear.