The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Swapping from 4g64 to 6g74...what am i up against???

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    PrityG-lant03

Swapping from 4g64 to 6g74...what am i up against???

I wanna swap a 4g64 engine with a 6g74..how difficult will it be and what exactly will i have to modify?(If u have done this swap then your advice would be lovely) Will i have to swap out my tranny for this swap???

nothing at all will be the same you would be cutting and welding in new mounts new tranny new wiring since you need more injectors and more o2 sensors basicly cheaper to buy a v6 and build the to try to put a 6 in a 4 bangger chasis

to make this swap easy and logical just swap out your 4cyl. Galant for a v6 Galant, there not hard to come by.

PrityG-lant03
    Damn so im guessing for every swap you need a new tranny???

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    correct. I'm in a semi-patient mood right now so I'll break it down:

4 cyl Automatic transmission
    F4A42

6 cyl Auotmatic transmission
    F4A51

as you can tell, they are different part numbers, and their bellhousings are very different. The same goes for the Manual 4cyl and 6cyl transmissions, whose codes are F5M42, and F5M51, respectively.

Modifications/parts required, but not limited to, are the following:
    6G74
    6G72 transmission
    corresponding 6G72 axles
    6G72 torque converter or clutch kit (depending on Auto or Manual)
    6G72 sub frame
    6G72 ECU and complete wiring harness

etc. etc.
    Last edited by beam514; 08-21-2010 at 06:42 PM

Ok Im not in as patient a mood as beam514. We told you in your other thread numerous times it is not worth it to swap from 4G64 to 6G72 and then suggested a 6G74 as more performance if you did the swap. That doesnt make it any less time and money consuming and is still not worth it. Please do some research before you attempt to do as much as bolt a cold air intake onto your car as all of these topics have been talked about. You would be much better off finding an evo 8 engine and bolting it in then a 6cyl and without all the custom fabbing would probably end up being a similar price.

It was not worth making a second thread within a week to be told that it is a similar process and just a fruitless.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 08-21-2010 at 06:53 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    Ok Im not in as patient a mood as beam514. We told you in your other thread numerous times it is not worth it to swap from 4G64 to 6G72 and then suggested a 6G74 as more performance if you did the swap. That doesnt make it any less time and money consuming and is still not worth it. Please do some research before you attempt to do as much as bolt a cold air intake onto your car as all of these topics have been talked about. You would be much better off finding an evo 8 engine and bolting it in then a 6cyl and without all the custom fabbing would probably end up being a similar price.

It was not worth making a second thread within a week to be told that it is a similar process and just a fruitless.
    aw man is this the same guy? lol I was too lazy to search for the other thread.

in that case, OP, you're lucky I even posted the very basic info haha