The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hissing noise under the thorttle body/intake manifold?

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Icon5 Hissing noise under the thorttle body/intake manifold?

Today I was checking out my engine and I noticed a hissing sound coming around [under] the throttle body & intake manifold, is hard to tell at first with the rest of engine sound, but i can tell there's some kind of air escaping somewhere?

-Im still a n00b so I have no idea if this is bad, and what could be causing it.

You might be a victim of having a cracked intake manifold. not to sure though, it could be many other problems. What year is your car, how many miles do you have on it, I4 or V6, how long has this problem been occurring ?

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    how is your car idling? You might have a vacuum leak. Check the manifold and see if every vacuum port is connected to a vacuum line

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
    You might be a victim of having a cracked intake manifold. not to sure though, it could be many other problems. What year is your car, how many miles do you have on it, I4 or V6, how long has this problem been occurring ?
    its a 1999 Galant i4 and idk how long its been having such problem, I just bought it 3 weeks ago. All I know is that the engine was replaced last yr. =\

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    how is your car idling? You might have a vacuum leak. Check the manifold and see if every vacuum port is connected to a vacuum line
    It idles right under the 1k RPMs, although very shaky due to worn engine mounts [will replace soon]. ...um heh, Idk how the vacuum lines look like or where are they located
    Mitsubishi Galant '99
    i4
    174k trans. 30k engine
    all stock.

does your car fall on its face or stutter when your taking off, like a big power loss? has your gas mileage been really bad lately?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    You have a snake in your engine lol jk jk jk. Both these guys are right it could be both but check one thing at a time. I would check the vacuum leak first that way you don't have to take anything apart. Then if there is no vacuum leak then pull it apart n check the intake.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

lol, reminds me of dane cook.

Also, there was a tiny unicorn in your exhaust & he was jumping & poking holes in your exhaust, so we had to get that out of there.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Lmao.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

does your car fall on its face or stutter when your taking off, like a big power loss? has your gas mileage been really bad lately?
    Nah it runs strong, but i do think i have poor gas mileage, I dont really know how to tell but the first quarter tank only last for around 26 miles.
    Mitsubishi Galant '99
    i4
    174k trans. 30k engine
    all stock.

Quote Originally Posted by warup89 View Post
    Nah it runs strong, but i do think i have poor gas mileage, I dont really know how to tell but the first quarter tank only last for around 26 miles.
    That's all, mines at least around 100 with city and highway about 40/60 on my I4.

WOah, so mine is pretty bad i guess >.> what do you think could be the main culprit, causing this gas guzzling?
    Mitsubishi Galant '99
    i4
    174k trans. 30k engine
    all stock.

i mite have that probably i only get like 8 miles almost and that not running it hard

Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant View Post
    The world consists of 2 sexes... grow a sack and unless your actually cheating, tell her to shut the fuck up

Its possible there could be a leak or crack in the intake manifold, or an exhaust leak. Thats exactly what happened with mine, it was cracked. but i could be wrong, it could be a number of other things

Please check the intake manifold for any cracks first before checking the other parts

That there, just hit the nail on the head for me. My car hisses when idle, but I always though it was my CAI because it only started to do that after installed it last year. But my car does stutter when taking off (and my spark plugs are about nine months old).

Damn, what do you think this could be?

If it ain't broke, i'm still fixin' it.

check your egr valve too. My car made a hissing noise when some how the bolts to the EGR valve came loose which also caused it to get horrible gas milage as well. Just make sure all the valves tighten to the proper torque and nothing is loose but not sure if its the same on the i4 since i got a v6.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Prodigy View Post
    check your egr valve too. My car made a hissing noise when some how the bolts to the EGR valve came loose which also caused it to get horrible gas milage as well. Just make sure all the valves tighten to the proper torque and nothing is loose but not sure if its the same on the i4 since i got a v6.
    Say.....where is that located?
    Mitsubishi Galant '99
    i4
    174k trans. 30k engine
    all stock.

TGC Regular
    On the side of your IM towards the bottom of it..