The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: my new style VR4 bumper modification

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 103
    You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    I decided that i wanted to go a different route with the VR4 bumper. I haven't seen anyone do this so wish me luck :-)

Stage 1
    cut out the pieces I did not want . Have to finish sanding it a bit more for the adhesive. its a little flimsy in the middle but when I am not working on it i attached the plastic grill so when I move it I do not put a lot of tension anywhere. Once completed the metal mesh should give it more rigidity.

once I finish sanding the area for the adhesive to stick to it I will then post up some more pics.

update:

I started doing the bumper did the top part of the license plate. sorry I did not get to take pictures when I put up the mesh. I basically used the material used for windows in the metal form. i cut a piece out and held in it place with some glue I got from hobby lobby, once I got it i used the SEM plastic repair to hold it in place then started working on it. with the stuff i used its thicker than syrup but it seeped through on the bottom i am doing the metal mesh but will add a piece of fiberglass to help with retaining the material. i am also trying to attack the bottom differently cause since I have no support it has opened up a little so I have to make sure its the right shape. Also the middle piece is a little lower then the outside piece.

it looks like a big ol mess lol

now its taking form after 20 minutes at 80 grit with orbital sander

Cleaned it up with plastic cleaning spay i am right on point as I can see the plastic so the shape is on point
    have to fill the voids so going to fill it up then proceed to sand it again.

I had only bought two bottles so the bottom will have to wait until that comes in.
    I was the first one to ever do that too, after Stewi..lmao. Few people on the website have the bumper I did, Polishmafia and Ivory_G..
    Last edited by RAZ_76; 02-07-2012 at 07:27 AM

i do remember ray being the first one to do it

here is mine unfinished as well

i have a hairline crack that i cant get rid of on the very top

thats my first jdm bumper, i have another one installed on the car but left stock
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    i do remember ray being the first one to do it

here is mine unfinished as well

i have a hairline crack that i cant get rid of on the very top

thats my first jdm bumper, i have another one installed on the car but left stock

i got a hairline crack on the bottom since I don't have the support there anymore so I added more of the epoxy in the back to make the bottom stiffer and it worked out my crack was right in the middle of the material and the actual bumper after i sanded it down.

I cut out a piece of the stock bumper and used a heat gun to get the right curve on it then used 3m proxy and filler.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    its still a work in progress :-) i just need to get off my butt and finish the bottom part.
    Well then get to work! LOL!
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

she is complete :-) after months or procrastinating i finally finished it, need to put some mesh on that I got install in on Thursday and she goes to get painted along with the whole car starting Friday also getting that crash in the rear of my car fixed. Going from black to different color.

With installed fogs:

got it as good as possible the body man can deal with the rest :-)

not pretty from the back, i managed to take the grill points where the original screws use to go on and bonded it to the top and bottom so I can use screws to hold the mesh with.

good work!
    must see installed.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Looks sooo good! I like it much better than the original!
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Looks great!
    Galant E15a EXE/4G63/1987/Ethanol Edition

I really like that! Much cleaner!

But just curious, is the bumper more flimsy without the support in the middle anymore?

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

What kinda epoxy is that?? Something u buy at the paint supply store?? I need that for my bike cuz I have to fix the plastics on it.

Looks good from the back though even though u say it looks messy.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

What kinda epoxy is that?? Something u buy at the paint supply store?? I need that for my bike cuz I have to fix the plastics on it.

Looks good from the back though even though u say it looks messy.
    its a product called SEM plastic repair 39767 , i still got a full bottle left and the applicator gun for it. But i had to get it this way cause i had a lot of area to fill as I used closed to 3 bottles for this bumper. how big is the problem cause they sell a smaller size like this one http://www.levineautoparts.com/sembure.html if you need more area to fill then you might need a full bottle check that site out they show you the products they have and what product works with what plastic.

when the temp outside is hotter the product is more fluid so when i had done the first part its dripped easily, but once you get that first layer let it get hard then added the big layer. but during the first layer i had to smear it on the screen it dripped lol most of it on the cardboard i had on the floor lol.
    Last edited by Dominicano; 03-07-2012 at 08:26 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
    I really like that! Much cleaner!

But just curious, is the bumper more flimsy without the support in the middle anymore?

its more rigid now considering i put more of the epoxy in the back since there was a plastic strip left after i removed the parts I did not need. the bottom was a little more challenging cause if you never notice the middle piece of plastic between the pillars is actually lower then the two sides. I had to heat it up and bring it up to the level of the other two. Even thought I got it up to eye level i still had to add epoxy to make sure it was all even and that part is more rigid then before.

Tricky attempt lol but unfortunately no punt intending but you know 1 warm day or 1 slight shunt and all that effort will simply de laminate..but good idea..you'll notice the base sag as well after a while
    www.qcustoms.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by qcustoms View Post
    Tricky attempt lol but unfortunately no punt intending but you know 1 warm day or 1 slight shunt and all that effort will simply de laminate..but good idea..you'll notice the base sag as well after a while

the area behind it loaded with aluminum mesh as the base, after i am done I will be having mesh all being held at the by screws, and not chicken wire mesh the good stuff. don't really see it sagging and the material it self has flexibility i would have to bend it at 45 or more to make it break. believe me its rigid my orbital sander is a bit taller then the opening and i had to push the bottom down a little just to get it in there.

Lol good to hear lol, hope it holds out, don't be afraid to mold it tho man. Much better knowing for you in the end it's 1 piece no filler
    www.qcustoms.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by qcustoms View Post
    Lol good to hear lol, hope it holds out, don't be afraid to mold it tho man. Much better knowing for you in the end it's 1 piece no filler

really don't know whats so funny, and don't really know what you mean by molding it into one piece. thanks for the heads up

its a product called SEM plastic repair 39767 , i still got a full bottle left and the applicator gun for it. But i had to get it this way cause i had a lot of area to fill as I used closed to 3 bottles for this bumper. how big is the problem cause they sell a smaller size like this one http://www.levineautoparts.com/sembure.html if you need more area to fill then you might need a full bottle check that site out they show you the products they have and what product works with what plastic.

when the temp outside is hotter the product is more fluid so when i had done the first part its dripped easily, but once you get that first layer let it get hard then added the big layer. but during the first layer i had to smear it on the screen it dripped lol most of it on the cardboard i had on the floor lol.
    I have few different pieces to work on so a small bottle won't be enough. How much is the applicator gun for that cost??
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

looks cool bro! can't wait to see finished results!

I have few different pieces to work on so a small bottle won't be enough. How much is the applicator gun for that cost??
    they cost about 50-60, i won't sell it to you for that much though, send me a pm if you want to buy we can work something out with one of the bottles that I have left.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast