The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: head swap on a v6

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar

head swap on a v6

like the title says i just wanted to ask if there was any possibility??? input anyone?

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

I was actually wondering the same thing awhile back. Would be cool to swap 3KGT DOHC on our cars, It would probably change the exhaust tone a bit. Not sure if it's even possible though.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

i dunno if anyones tried the sonata v6 heads but when i was changin the starter on my buddies i thought it looked as similar to the g72 as the 64 and g4js looked.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

Thats definately something to look into didn't a member here do a Sonata tranny swap???

FreakyDeaky

Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Experienced TGC Member
    DOHC heads are not possible unless you swap in the ECU from the donor car to run the cam position sensor in order to run the distributorless ignition system those engines use.

The best head to swap is the 6g75 heads, though onto a 6g72 there is more to it than just heads that would need to be addressed. The 6g72 is very limited compared to the gains from a cheap 6g74 swap, or if you really want to "play ball" go the 6g75 swap route.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

And what do 6g75 swaps consist of as far as mounting in the engine bay? Would that have any sort of effect on the auto tranny?

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Mounting the 6G75 is the same. I'm not sure how well the auto trans would hold up to the added power and torque.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Damn so 5 speed swap with that then??? That's the 3.8 am I right? What year is the 3.8 from?N what about the 3.5? WOuld that be alright with the auto tranny? Or couldn't I just use the auto tranny From the 3.8? I gotta keep her auto for wife purposes lol.

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

3.8 would be from 2004+ Galant. 3.5 would be from the 97+ Diamante. The auto would probably be fine if you installed an aftermarket tranny cooler and didn't constantly push it's limits.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

I drive normally the only time I step on the gas is when I have a chance to pass someone driving slow or when some kid trying to show off to his girl in his ricer lol. The 3.0 kicks ass lol. What about installing a turbo kit or something. I'm I'm just spit balling here. But isn't the 3.0 a high compression motor???

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

I've driven a 3.0 5 speed but it was a 97 maxima n that car had balls so I can imagine an 8g.

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey2000Galant View Post
    I drive normally the only time I step on the gas is when I have a chance to pass someone driving slow or when some kid trying to show off to his girl in his ricer lol. The 3.0 kicks ass lol. What about installing a turbo kit or something. I'm I'm just spit balling here. But isn't the 3.0 a high compression motor???
    The A/T in the Galant would be fine with an additional trans cooler as already mentioned. The 3.0 6g72 is only a 9:1 CR, the 3.5L 6g74 is a 9.5:1 CR I believe, could be wrong though. The 3.8L 6g75 is a 10:1 CR, both the 3.5 and 3.8L engines will give you more throttle response with low end and mid range performance. The downfall on te 3.5L 6g74 is in the high end RPMs as the heads are basically identical (only exception is the cams) as the 3.0L 6g72. The 3.8L 6g75 stands out far above the previous versions because the valves are much larger, as well as the intake ports so that engine willbreath extremely well (even with OEM cams) in the higher RPM range.

There are still no actual turbo kits available for the 6g72/4/5 series engines on our platforms (3rd Gen Eclipse included). You could run a RIPP supercharger setup though, not the "best" option to some people but it is currently the only F/I setp on the market that is a "bolt-on" product.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

WOW!!! That is definately some good info. Aren't turbos for boost at higher rpms and superchargers for take offs n such?

FreakyDeaky

2kG 6g72/74 5 speed