The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pre-Molded Carpet: WHY is it?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    HellCo96S

Pre-Molded Carpet: WHY is it?

that most places carry 85-88 and 99-03 but nothing in between? I've got "god-awful gray" as i call it, and the prior owner ragged it out pretty bad.

I've googled up a gang of links, and most of them carry the same stuff, premolded carpets for 85-88/99-03 only. I cant really understand that. SURELY someone sells premolded carpet for my 1996? What gives?

Anyone know a spot online or in GA who sells this particular year?

Experienced TGC Member
    ive yet to find one and for 5 years i go out every so often to see if i can. The only idea i came up with was get one of the little plastic kiddy pools from walley world. A shitload of rit dye and some vinegar to help the rit dye penetrate, fill the pool up, put the dye in there but set the pool out in the direct sun light and let the water get as warm as u can get it then dye the carpet. Ive dyed all kinds of plastic parts for RC cars on the stove so i know it works ;-). I wouldnt ever try dying my carpet with the rattle can..

HellCo96S
    That's a helluva idea. We've dyed faded work clothes with rit. Hmmm... Would probably have to jet black that guy then....

It's absurd to me to think that NOBODY makes replacement carpet for our year/model cars? WTF is that about. Surely someone out there knows theres gotta be a market for it if NO ONE else offers them. Wow...

Experienced TGC Member
    use the search, "Molded Carpet"

you'll find your answers
    -Chris

just wondering why you guys are so hung up on the "molded" carpet. its a sh*t ton more expensive and only slightly less work than just buying automotive carpeting by the yard and laying it in yourself

HellCo96S
    @quicksilver - true indeed. I feel ya and everything, but unlike most, i research before i ask a question, just a pet peeve. personal ish. Thus why i posted. its annoying to me when people dont do the legwork 1st to help themselves. I just honestly couldnt find jacksh*t on ANYWHERE that carries a premolded replacement for my year/model. Thought posting to the specific forums for my fellow Galant owners/drivers and maybe someone knew someplace i'd missed.

@03chi - well, im not exactly HUNG UP on it, but, im not really knowledgable on laying it myself. If i did it with the auto carpet by the yard, wouldn't it present a problem around the contour areas of the cab? I've thought about that actually, seeing several places selling the carpeting by the yard, but I just don't want the interior to look jackleg, ya dig? If you got some info on that, that'd be the move mayne. preciate the post too. you may have opened a door for me. i just don't know how tough it would be, not that it would deter me from doing it. but, bottom line, premolded vs by the yard, whichevers cheaper is the main thing, but a close 2nd is me not wanting the carpet looking bootleg.

check out yourautotrim (dot) com. this is probably the cheapest site i've found for true high-quality stuff. on the site, click on "automotive carpeting" on the left side of the screen, and then click on the "80" wide superflex ozite" option. they have a buttload of colors and the stuff is super easy to lay down with 3M Super 77 spray and it's got just a little bit of stretch to it but its super strong and can take a beating. best thing to do is measure out how much you need front to back and it comes in continuous lengths, so there's no seams to worry about. then, pull the front and rear seats and center console out of the car and yank out the old carpeting. lay the new carpeting on top of the old carpeting with a VERY SMALL amount of adhesive just to match the contours. then flip the whole thing over and cut away any of the new carpeting that you can see from the backside through the holes/cutouts in the old carpeting and cut around the outline as well, obviously. now pull them apart and you have brand new carpet, with the exact shape and component cutouts to fit directly into the car. wish i had some pics to help explain but i dont just yet. give it about a month and i can get some posted up since i'll be doing this with my new project G

heres an ideah..if your carpet is shit the get a carpet shaver and shave it down to 1 mm. buy the carpet by the yard and use your original shaved carpet mold to shape and secure the new carpet into. use carpet seem to lock down cut edges and then cut out the bolt holes. take the whole thing and put it back in care and your done

HellCo96S
    @chi yo thats some ish that sound like it jus might work. sounds fairly easy to do, jus based off ya concept. ima check that out. i guess doing it that way will also open me up to a wide variety of different options as far as colors go. considering, the premolded options are few and far between color-wise, but i imagine that if you go the by-the-yard route, you can probably come across a wide variety.

preciate ya on the site drop too, im checkin it out right now. good looks.

ill def. update with pics on here when i get the chance to do it.

it'll be a minute probably since i've got $2,000 worth of fines plus probation and other costs related to a high speed chase across 6 counties to pay off before i can really go ham on my 7G, but, once that stuffs KO'd, ill be able to really drop some cash on it and fix it up.