The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Possible problem with my 7g

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Possible problem with my 7g

Alright hey guys apparently I just found out the hard way that my car is a POS that my parents want to sell. I'm not gonna go into my dreams or anything, but basically I wanna keep the car and buy another for my mother.

Thing is (bastards never tell me anything) apparently if I change my engine oil since it is getting low (Light is coming up) and seeing as how I personally looked at the rod (Honestly it took me a couple of days looking at it to figure anything out) it looked low. Now problem is, is that if I change it, my transmission will die or something like that, I'm no mechanic and I did just research this a bit on other places, looked a bit through the forums here but I haven't found anything that helps me. So what should I do? trust my untrustworthy parents about it and let it die peacefully by the end of the year or should I do something about it?

Otherwise, I love the car, but I've noticed another problem recently, the car while pressing down the gas about midway which would put it going past 2500 RPM's goes up very slowly, I mean it moves inch by an inch up the scale to 2800 which usually puts me at 50 MPH, now if I try to floor it due to curious stupidity it seems like I have to put alot of force into trying to fully press on it, and it does breakthrough and jumps to 3500 RPM's eventually doing the normal routine of an engine being floored.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    im sure you are not only new to galants but cars as a hole. now engine oil has nothing to do with the tranny. there are 2 marks on the dipstick and you are supposed to keep the oil level within those 2 marks at all times, never let the oil go that low that the light comes on as bad things can occur like blowing the motor.

acceleration wisem its a stock galant with many miles im sure and it was never a fast car stock. but check your throttle cable, it runs from the throttle body, down behing the intake manifold then back over the motor to a box and see it is snagging or frayed or anything.

what are some specs on the car? pics?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

4g64 engine 2.4L n/a
    But yea, I'm new to cars overall. Sorry for dumb questions. Pictures of the car are up in my garage, I'm afraid to show off my engine because its quite dirty so I didn't post a pic xD

I do have the pic though if I would need it, then do tell me please :D

David,
    Pull the owner's manual from the glove box and read it. Being you are new to cars you will be suprised at what's in there. For starters they will tel you how to read the oil dip stick. On the bright side at least your folks gave you the car. It could have been worse, you could have paid big bucks to some car dealer and have the same problems.

If you are still in school consider taking an auto mechanics class. If you are out of school consider enrolling at a votech school for auto mechanics. Anything you learn about working on your own car will save you $$ in the future.

Pick up a haynes manual (autozone or on line) or chilton's manual for your car. You can learn a lot about your car from these but the absolute best way to learn about cars is to hang out with folks who work on them
    Last edited by eksz; 09-06-2010 at 09:28 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL