The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Exhaust pipe.

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Exhaust pipe.

So I went to pepboys today, and found out that my exhuast is rusted, and has leaks. Now I either will need to go and buy a completely new front exhaust, as well as a possible actually nvm, probably need the entire thing soon.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? look for a better used one around? or should I just go ahead and go to a body shop and get it welded and get ripped off?

Jesus I just spent 150$ on my AC *Proffesional* recharge -_-. (Yes I did try to recharge it myself, but didn't work /cry)

How about you visit an exhaust shop?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

great link if the OP owned an 8G i4... but he has a 7g.

/cry, I should probably make a signature with my car... and a profile of my 7g because I love it that much.

I would love to have a catback seeing as how loud just my engine is....but I also need the front part of it at this point.

To be more clear in my problem, should I go to a shop and get it welded? and have possible more rust offs later on, or should I just buy the entire damn thing? words of advice from galant geniouses :D?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidline View Post
    /cry, I should probably make a signature with my car... and a profile of my 7g because I love it that much.

I would love to have a catback seeing as how loud just my engine is....but I also need the front part of it at this point.

To be more clear in my problem, should I go to a shop and get it welded? and have possible more rust offs later on, or should I just buy the entire damn thing? words of advice from galant geniouses :D?
    Buy the whole thing new so you don't have to worry about any exhaust leaks or rust holes anywhere. (if its in your budget)

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

What would be a non-ripoff price range should I look at? or what brand if there is any specific good one?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidline View Post
    What would be a non-ripoff price range should I look at? or what brand if there is any specific good one?
    Just metal would be good. Anything other than rust lol

I would check ebay for some cheapies, Metal is metal so... You'll probably need to search for a down pipe and the catback. Might be easier to get oem; whatever you feel like doing.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

where exactly is it rusted?

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    do u have or can u get us some pics
    03 I4

Acutally for now I might have to close down on this issue, seeing as how the leak doesn't really bother me, as the car is a bit stronger with them. I mean at this point or how many years it has been rusting I personnaly don't know if its worth welding it just to have more leaks open up in the few months following it.

Edit: I'll try to get a picture, but I have no idea how to at this point, just a use a jack, lift it, and take picture?

But anyhow, I was just looking at some downpipes on ebay seeing as how I read in MKO's thread that is the best place for it. Will a downpipe that fits an Eclipse from years 89-94 GST, fit my 7g? I know I am being optimistic, and not even thinking about how I would even put that thing on since I don't even have a place to wash my car nowadays /hate apartment complexes.

I hate asking this many questions, really : /.
    Last edited by Davidline; 09-04-2010 at 10:23 PM

Given that a 7g is closer to a 2g N/T Spyder in engine/front end comparison I'd suggest looking at headers/downpipes for those and a cat-back for a Galant. You can probably get a patch kit if it is a small leak. You'd really need to look at it to see what is going on. Flex sections like to go out once motor mounds are worn. Did they say what part was toast? You might be able to go back and ask them to lift it up and show you where the leaks are.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

I'll get some time pretty soon with my extremely busy management job, and school.

But otherwise for now all they told me is that the entire exhaust is rusting, and he pointed out two small holes (tiny) right after the elbow going into the section right under the car, and one right next to the section which is connected to the back (or catback), also muffler was hit pretty bad. That's as far as I can get you guys information, but I'll try my best.

Btw is there any specific cat-backs for galants, and where can I find them? or what do you guys use atleast xD?

Don't bother with the pictures etc. then. If you can already see how bad both ends are you probably just need to replace it all the way through. Were you planning on turbo charging the car at any point? If so you might want to wait on the exhaust until you're ready (just not too long). If not check out some NA upgrades you can do while you're at it (header and properly sized exhaust etc.) You probably know this but if you go too big on an exhaust for a non-turbo car you lose power instead of gaining. I'm not sure what is ideal for the 4G64 but it probably isn't much bigger than stock. I won't ramble too much unless you have more questions though ;)
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Well I was looking at a craiglist ad for a '3 megan downpipe, and the megan cat-back that went into a 1g eclipse gst, with the test pipe (no clue what that even is lol)

Ughhhh turbocharing? man I wish but I think I'll get a dohc swap first. Btw is the tranny specific for n/a and turbo or is it universal?

That exhaust won't work on your car for all sorts of reasons. 1g cars exit out the passenger side and are substantially shorter in body length. The 3" pipe is massive overkill without the turbo this is designed for. You'd have to modify it substantially to work on your car and it'd be too big. A test pipe is a catalytic converter eliminator. Just a straight pipe that replaces the cat.

Your best bet is probably finding a good used exhaust for a Galant or buying a cheap new one somewhere. You could go custom for the cat-back if need be. Check the site but I'll bet an after-market, non-turbo 2g Spyder head-to-cat setup would work fine.

So far as I know the tranny is universal but that is just based on the repair manual info I've looked at. You'd want to check model numbers (my awd unit is a W5M33 for example).