The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: old 4g64 couldnt take it nemore.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 64

old 4g64 couldnt take it nemore.

so i should be disapointed but i knew it was gonna happen sooner or later. the old 7g started overheating earlier tday. thought it was low on coolant cuz i sprang a leak yesterday well the overflow tank was full boiling over and the radiator was pretty low. got home let it cool down and i added some coolant to the radiator and long and behold shes starts smoking really bad outa the exhaust. guess the oem headgasket that has 170k on it could handle boost nemore. i have just about everything for the dohc headswap but what i dont have is time. :-( ill keep everybody posted on the headswap and now i can actually make some serious power not this 200 whp crap :-) dont know if its a bad or good thing yet.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    make sure to use ARPs with the swap! sorry to hear it didnt want to hold anymore but hey it may be a good thing
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

so i took the head off tday went pretty easy. looking at cylinder 1 it looks like the piston got really hot and almost started to melt so now i dunno what i should do the walls look fine but i dont wanna put the dohc head on and then have the piston fail. here are some pics to check out. the first pic is of a good piston and the other two are the pistons that looks funky. if you look close u can see the first pic looks clean and smooth and the two other pics u can see its really white and not as smooth.

so im just gonna go ahead and put the dohc head on. i have everything now minus the freeze plugs. on the dohc swap partslist it says u need to advance intake and exhaust timing half a notch, iv searched and searched and didnt see in any other posts about people advancing timing so i was wondering if this actually has to be done.

what head are you using? on my sonata head i had to retard intake by 6 and set exhaust to 0 to get it to run like normal
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

1g 63 head.

lol just realized u got a 7g so urs is backwards XD and i dunno about that one ive only researched heads that fit mine but if the height of the head is like mine (the sonata head is wwaaaaayyy taller) u might have the same probs i did i just lined up cams and and piston 1 by hand then made minor adjustment to my cam gears till it ran good.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

Quote Originally Posted by reiketsutsukigami View Post
    what head are you using? on my sonata head i had to retard intake by 6 and set exhaust to 0 to get it to run like normal
    you have an 8g so its different.

now the deal with the timing being off be that half notch is because of the deck height difference between the 63 and 64. with the 63 gears the timing is off half a mark. now honestly save yourself the hassle and buy the 4G64 dohc cam gears for like 50 bucks like i did and its so worth it as now there is no guessing.

also, for upgraded lifters, ss valves and guides, there is a guy on ebay that sells all 3 for 200 buck very good quality and if you ever have an ussue he is there to help. those are what i am going to run.

i used extreme psi for all my gaskets and the timing gears and belts
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

the timing mark on the 64 gears is on the top and on the 63 its on the inner notch, thats the half notch
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

my intial plans were to actually get a spare block and build the 2.4 dohc outa the car then drop it in but now that my headgasket blew i just decided to start the project and use the existing block and pistons. with that said i literally have until friday to get the car running i have everything i need for the most part to get it to run and i got layed off 2 weeks ago so im getting broke. i hate to do build like this on a budget and under pressure but its life and i need a vehicle. so im going to have to sadly use the 63 cam gears. i thought about just putting a new headgasket under my sohc head but looking at my timing belt it looks like a dry rotted piece of leather from the early 1800s and when i figure in the cost of a headgasket and belt and new headbolts it would be about the same amount of money to use the dohc head. i will be almost broke after i get that stuff so lucky me..... i also noticed that the metal timing cover on the 64 block hits the cam gears on the 63 head. should i just cut it off?

well um i know the feeling. i am in the process of building my spare block but it something goes wrong im screwed you know. the 64 gears are 50 bucks and i had mine next day
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

and you mean the middle timing cober right? just get a 4g64 dohc one eventually
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

where did u get ur gears from?

Quote Originally Posted by allrice4g64 View Post
    where did u get ur gears from?
    extremepsi.com
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

[QUOTE=allrice4g64;613685]my intial plans were to actually get a spare block and build the 2.4 dohc outa the car then drop it in but now that my headgasket blew i just decided to start the project and use the existing block and pistons. with that said i literally have until friday to get the car running i have everything i need for the most part to get it to run and i got layed off 2 weeks ago so im getting broke. i hate to do build like this on a budget and under pressure but its life and i need a vehicle. so im going to have to sadly use the 63 cam gears. i thought about just putting a new headgasket under my sohc head but looking at my timing belt it looks like a dry rotted piece of leather from the early 1800s and when i figure in the cost of a headgasket and belt and new headbolts it would be about the same amount of money to use the dohc head. i will be almost broke after i get that stuff so lucky me..... i also noticed that the metal timing cover on the 64 block hits the cam gears on the 63 head. should i just cut it off?

Use the 63 metal rear cover.

ok do u know if its the same timing cover thats on a 6 bolt block?

so you just ordered two of these? http://www.extremepsi.com/store/cust...cat=865&page=1

I used the metal covers from a 1g 6 bolt. 1 mounts to the head and the other for the block. For the front covers any dohc top but only 2g turbo lower and mid.(If you find a cheap source for the front covers please let us know). I don't see the point in buying gears (unless you go all out and need adjustable) as they are exactly the same except for a little mark.

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    I used the metal covers from a 1g 6 bolt. 1 mounts to the head and the other for the block. For the front covers any dohc top but only 2g turbo lower and mid.(If you find a cheap source for the front covers please let us know). I don't see the point in buying gears (unless you go all out and need adjustable) as they are exactly the same except for a little mark.
    that little mark will help me time the motor correctly instead of guessing though. and those are oem dohc 4g64 cam gears not aftermarket. usually when i time interference motors i dont like to guess......

If it makes you feel better then by all means go for it as that price seems very reasonable.
    Just wanted you to be aware of your options. I would be happy to take those 63 gears off your hands.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast