The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: questions on custom down pipe for turbo

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

questions on custom down pipe for turbo

okay so I need to get my down pipe made and need to know if anyone can tell me where the best place to purchase and what do i need I have seen a few custom downpipes and basicly just asking what bends and what radius to clear by the ac compressor I'm figuring up over the back of the turbo and down then tieing into an evo down pipe that I already have.

i did a quick 160 degree turn out of the turbo then straight and the another 45 degree turn to mee tup with the rest of exhaust but i have the obx mani and most ppl use the 2g one.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Take a pic of your turbo setup in the car so we can see how its mounted. When I had a 2g manifold and a T3/4 turbo I used a tight radius 180 degree bend, which put the pipe in between the turbine housing and the engine block. then a 90 degree bend which got it to the oil pan, then another 90 to get under the oil pan.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

i also have the obx manifold and an evo 3 in down pipe so just want to double check since stewi thought it would help

yup same mani i got and im right in the area if you can you can come see mine to get an idea? we could maybe even weld it here too but youll have to talk to my dad hes the pro at welding XD
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf

my shop has all the welding stuff and i have the guy to do I just need to pick up the parts so we can mock it up and weld it will prob be done at the same time as the painting since all the stuff will be there at the paint shop

What manifold is that?

obx ebay mani (even though its ebay mine has really held together thru the mill i had egt temps as high as 1.9k-2k and its still fine)but yea only prob is my turbo didnt clear radiator fan did yours? i had to get a slim fan and mount it on the other side and make it push not pull XD
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf

Is that a dsm manifold or a Evo manifold? I also made my passenger side fan a pusher and mounted it on the other side of the AC condenser

it's for the 4g63 not the evo and the motor is not yet in I wont be putting it in till I get the down pipe fabbed up since it will be easier to get most of that done out of the car when you can check clearances all the way around the drop it in and finish it off in the car and I was asking a while back about using a civic single core radiator since it was smaller it might be narrow enough to clear the turbo

and what did you do to reverse direction on your fans or did you get a different set all together and no one has told me radius of the bends they used for there downpipe or a good place to get them

try ATP turbo or this place http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/mandrel-bends-34/
    they both give the radius of their bends. you can take your own measuremenst or even make a ruff mock up out of cardboard using that info. remember to add in the thickness for the 5 bolt flange.

What my fabicator did was buy a 2.5" round donut and cut it in half. I dont think you will be able to find bends any tighter than that. I do not know where he bought it from tho.

Here you can see it turn 180* around and to the back of the turbo. After it completes the 180* turn, it turns downward 90* and out into the exhaust

RRE has those and i think S-K speed does too

hmm your mani said it was for the 4g63? when i got mine it actually said it was for the 4g64 and i jut so happend to have a turbo manifold and downpipe from an mx-6 it was all 2.5" too but it had some serious bends and curves it worked great XD. and i bought an ebay slim fan took the fan blades out flipped it over and voila it pushes instead of pulls!
    *edit* btw nice wrapping qnz its hard to wrap the obx mani its all real close together.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf