The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Long time dsm owner...soon galant owner...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25

Long time dsm owner...soon galant owner...

Figured I would stop in and say hi.

Ive had a variety of 2g's over the past years and Im supposed to pick up a galant in the morning. This will be my 2nd galant but my first one was my dd.

Ive currently got a 95 eclipse fwd...stock 6 bolt shortblock, 1g head, kiggly valve springs, hks 272 cams, unported, jmf Drag intake manifold, 1450 cc injectors, walboro 255 intank, bosch 044 inline, holset hx40, SLS t3 manifold, yada yada yada....lots more stuff but it will take a while to type.

Eclipse made 569 whp and 425 ft/lbs ... Tuned using dsmlink v3 on speed density. On MH 24.5x8.5x15 slicks, first time out went 11.3 @ 128. Ended up breaking the 3/4 shift rail.

Plan is to pull everything out of the eclipse and put it in the galant. I like 4 doors and the front of my eclipse has been hacked up so this was my other option.

Heres some pics of the eclipse...

With the old intake manifold on.

Dyno sheet.

At the track...

Ive got some questions as well..

Im wanting to transfer everything over from the eclipse into the galant. I know the suspension, engine, trans will swap. But Im keeping the 2g ecu and I have a wiring harness that ive gone through and deleted all my unused sensors from. Can I adapt the 2g turbo harness to work with the galant fuse box harness?

On a 2g the ecu harness has a few connections under the radio that go to the underdash harness, Does the galant have those or does the ecu only run to the fuse box harness?

Im gonna continue to look around here on the forum, but help is appreciated, and I look forward to sharing some progress on this car...

-Kevin-
    Last edited by Fast Fwd; 09-05-2010 at 05:11 PM

Welcome to the site. Those are impressive numbers on a stock 6-bolt bottom end. I didn't think it could handle that much without grenading. I moved from a 1g Talon to a Galant but I used a 2g Talon as my donor for my project. Both 2g/7g Galant harnesses use clips under the dash to connect the body/gauge wiring with the engine bay. Most guys just rewire the Galant harness to work with the 2g ECU. It just requires adding a few wires and moving a few others. You'll find plenty of info on the 2g ECU swap here on the site with some searching.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    Welcome to the site. Those are impressive numbers on a stock 6-bolt bottom end. I didn't think it could handle that much without grenading. I moved from a 1g Talon to a Galant but I used a 2g Talon as my donor for my project. Both 2g/7g Galant harnesses use clips under the dash to connect the body/gauge wiring with the engine bay. Most guys just rewire the Galant harness to work with the 2g ECU. It just requires adding a few wires and moving a few others. You'll find plenty of info on the 2g ECU swap here on the site with some searching.
    Thanks for the welcome and info!

The shortblock still has more in it...I just need to get it swapped over and running in the new shell and take it back to the track.

I saw the thread about repinning the ecu connectors and adding the wiring to adapt the harness for the 2g ecu.....Heres the reason I want to use my 2g harness....

Ive already gone through and shortened/tucked it and removed all the wiring that I didnt use anymore. If I have to use the galant harness and do the same to it I will but I figured Id try this route first.

If I pick the car up in the morning as planned..Id say by tomorrow night, I should have the motor/trans/and suspension swapped over....then Ill move on to some weight savings....

-Kevin-

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    what year and model is this galant? great numbers nice setup BTW
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Nice wiring setup. I've got a lot of the wiring diagrams for the 7g lying around. If you have trouble finding something let me know.

Minor detail but you'll want to plan on a battery relocation or moving the intake at the same time. The stock Galant battery is right where turbo DSMs have their air filter. The 2g battery rack won't work either, I checked. I just stuck my battery in the trunk with a breaker behind the gray outlet cover:

Are you planning to stay FWD with a rebuilt tranny or will you be going AWD?

Also, what year Galant are you getting?
    Last edited by eclipsh; 09-05-2010 at 07:05 PM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    Nice wiring setup. I've got a lot of the wiring diagrams for the 7g lying around. If you have trouble finding something let me know.

Minor detail but you'll want to plan on a battery relocation or moving the intake at the same time. The stock Galant battery is right where turbo DSMs have their air filter. The 2g battery rack won't work either, I checked. I just stuck my battery in the trunk with a breaker behind the gray outlet cover:

Are you planning to stay FWD with a rebuilt tranny or will you be going AWD?

Also, what year Galant are you getting?
    Its a 95.

Im staying fwd....The car on the 11.3 pass pulled a 1.88 60ft, stock trans and open diff. Ive put an lsd in the trans now, and changed the front suspension, so it should 60ft a little better with some more seat time. I was running 10 psi in the slicks before the burnout, after Id say it was somewhere around 12 psi which is way too much.

In all honestly, Ill probably keep the battery over the front wheels, I had planned on changing the filter setup to route underneath the dsm frame rail towards the bumper, so that will probably work out...

I have an awd trans sitting right now, but with the 24.5in slick, the gearing imo works out better with the fwd trans...but even if I do swap an awd trans in, the car is staying fwd...

Ill let you know on the wiring diagrams. I still have to do a little more searching.

-Kevin-

Nice 2g. Hows that SLS manifold working out for ya? I've been eyeing them for a long time but havent pulled the trigger yet

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    Nice 2g. Hows that SLS manifold working out for ya? I've been eyeing them for a long time but havent pulled the trigger yet
    As far as quality, its outstanding.

The only thing I dont like is, I wrap my manifold and its hard on cylinder 1 / 2 because the runners are so close to each other. Other than that, Its great and I picked it up locally used for a hell of a deal.

-Kevin-

subscribing to this thread. I see (transferring) potential in the works

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Nice 2g, I love seeing the fast FWD 2g's, you dont see them often. Good luck with the 7g galant, should be fun to drive once you swap in the 6 bolt.

On your 2g, how was traction in 1st and 2nd with the M&H's? I recent bought the exact same tires for my 8g galant, but havent made it to the track yet to use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Nice 2g, I love seeing the fast FWD 2g's, you dont see them often. Good luck with the 7g galant, should be fun to drive once you swap in the 6 bolt.

On your 2g, how was traction in 1st and 2nd with the M&H's? I recent bought the exact same tires for my 8g galant, but havent made it to the track yet to use them.
    The MH slicks hook well. The key thing is matching the tire pressure to the weight of the car...you dont want them too low but at the same time, too high and they dont hook at all..Ive ran 15psi, 12 psi, and 10 psi in them, until I got it down to 10 psi (pre burnout), they wouldnt hook. I have plans to drop the pressure to about 8.5 psi(pre burnout) and let them heat to about 9.5 psi.

They hook good though....slipping the clutch is key on launching with them...I initially hook but it will spins just out of the hole. Im only launching on a 2 step, no antilag yet, and im launching at 5500 rpms with 6.5 psi boost. I assume now with the lsd and less tire pressure, Im gonna have to set up antilag to build atlest 11-12 psi leaving the line.

Also, preload with the e brake. I pull up to the staging lights, as soon as the first one is lit, i pull the ebrake, pull a little more forward until the second light, again not using the brake pedal at all, just the e brake. As soon as I light the second light, Im on the two step.

Hopefully that helps some...As long as I can get everything swapped into this galant with no real big problems, Ill make sure to get some vids of the car launching at the track. If you have any questions, send me a pm.

-Kevin-

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    very nice. So did you pick up that Galant?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fwd View Post
    The MH slicks hook well. The key thing is matching the tire pressure to the weight of the car...you dont want them too low but at the same time, too high and they dont hook at all..Ive ran 15psi, 12 psi, and 10 psi in them, until I got it down to 10 psi (pre burnout), they wouldnt hook. I have plans to drop the pressure to about 8.5 psi(pre burnout) and let them heat to about 9.5 psi.

They hook good though....slipping the clutch is key on launching with them...I initially hook but it will spins just out of the hole. Im only launching on a 2 step, no antilag yet, and im launching at 5500 rpms with 6.5 psi boost. I assume now with the lsd and less tire pressure, Im gonna have to set up antilag to build atlest 11-12 psi leaving the line.
    Thats exactly what I was looking for. Depending on how far I go with the tune, I could be making over 550 lb/ft of torque, so im glad they can spin a little out of the hole, as that will help me not destroy driveline parts. I might end up running less timing though in hopes of keeping the torque a bit lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Welcome to TGC|
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

nice numbers + Welcome to TGC! I hope to see pics of this galant soon and hope to see a successful project here.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Well...Unfortunately I didnt pick up the galant today. For the time being, Im gonna keep on keeping on with the dsm. Im gonna stick around these forums though, I like this forum so far.

I should be running the dsm this weekend if my shift rail comes in in time. I ordered one new and went to put it in today and realized they sent me the wrong one. So Im gonna try again in the morning, if all goes well, Ill be shooting for 10s this weekend. I went 11.3 on 27 psi(same boost I made 569 whp) and Im gonna put the boost controller on it this time around...Probably shoot for 32-33 psi( In hopes of about 610-630 whp) and let it eat....

Thanks for all the welcomes!

-Kevin-

With the old intake manifold on.

does it have boost :P

Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant View Post
    The world consists of 2 sexes... grow a sack and unless your actually cheating, tell her to shut the fuck up

sorry to hear you didnt pick up the galant, but beautiful car and setup. what rea are you from and y did the galant fall through??
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    sorry to hear you didnt pick up the galant, but beautiful car and setup. what rea are you from and y did the galant fall through??
    The galant was in rough shape. The guy claimed a straight body but it was pretty bad....With that said, I went back tonight and picked up it just for the fact that I can pull all the parts that are worth anything and then scrap the shell. Ill make a little bit of money.

Im gonna pull the trans out and snag the 3/4 shift rail and put it in my f5M33 trans and run the eclipse this weekend. They guy claimed the rod went through the block but I started the car and drove it down my street, I do believe it spun a bearing though.

For $300, I can complain....

-Kevin-

gotcha. was the galant stock 5 speed?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast