The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Duplicate key setting off alarm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23
    JoshAce

Icon9 Duplicate key setting off alarm

I have a Mitsubishi Galant 2002. I had a plain metal key cut from the original transponder key. The plain key has no transponder and is not programmed. I only want it for opening the door when the "real" key gets locked inside the car and also as a matter of convenience.

The problem is, about 1 out of 20 times using that plain key, the horn starts honking and the lights start flashing and they will not stop until a "real" key is inserted into the door lock.

The situation is strange to me for several reasons. If the key is not recognized, why does it always unlock the door (but never works on the ignition)? If the key is not recognized, why does it open the door ever?

This "alarming" situation has occurred twice, and I would like to know how to stop it from occurring again.

Both times it occurred, the door unlocked fine with no alarm being triggered. What ultimately triggers it might have to do with pulling the latch under the driver's seat to open the trunk. It might also have something to do with manually pushing the plastic button on the door to lock / unlock the door. It might also be due to opening the door itself on the way out.

What puzzles me the most is that both times, the key was used to unlock the door and removed before even entering the car. The key was not in the ignition nor in the door lock. Several minutes later, when in the car with the door closed and locked from the inside, the alarm and lights went crazy triggered by something I did - not sure what.

What can I do to prevent this from happening again? If I wasn't able to run in the house and get the "real" key, that alarm and the lights would drain the battery.

Ironically, even though both times this occurred, it was late at night and you could hear a twig snap from 100 feet away.. and there are dozens of houses around next door and across the street.. NOBODY, not even the people living in THIS house responded to the alarm! That is like having a train driving through the middle of a library and nobody noticing! What is the point of having an alarm system that nobody pays attention to? And why do car manufacturers think we need transponder keys (which don't even work right) that cost a fortune, when we use $10 locks on the doors of our houses?

If the police responded to my car alarm, they would fine me a minimum of $50 for a false alarm.

it wont start the car because the transponder in the syncs w/ the immobilizer for the ecu but it works in the locks just like any key it works on pins and barrels im sure if you put the key in the ignition you can turn the to the start just get no response as if there were no battery

its not happing because the key isnt a transponder its something else setting off the alarm their is no electronics hooked up to the cyl in the door thats y u can use the service key in the first place im a locksmith so any other questions shoot lol

JoshAce

Yes, but...

Quote Originally Posted by joegalant View Post
    its not happing because the key isnt a transponder its something else setting off the alarm their is no electronics hooked up to the cyl in the door thats y u can use the service key in the first place im a locksmith so any other questions shoot lol
    I understand why it is not starting the car. I only want the key to open the door. However, about one out of every 20 times I use the key to get in the car, the horn starts blaring and the lights start flashing several minutes AFTER I'm already in the car and the key is no longer in the lock. I would like to know why it does that and what is triggering it.
    -------------------

Also, on another vehicle - a Ford Windstar - I had a duplicate transponder key made for it. That key DOES start the engine, but it also causes a tiny red "THEFT" light to blink on the dashboard, and never stops blinking.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshAce View Post
    Ironically, even though both times this occurred, it was late at night and you could hear a twig snap from 100 feet away.. and there are dozens of houses around next door and across the street.. NOBODY, not even the people living in THIS house responded to the alarm! That is like having a train driving through the middle of a library and nobody noticing! What is the point of having an alarm system that nobody pays attention to?
    Probably because you set it off so much, people got used to the sound and got tired of looking out the window, just excuse it as a nuisance.

I understand why it is not starting the car. I only want the key to open the door. However, about one out of every 20 times I use the key to get in the car, the horn starts blaring and the lights start flashing several minutes AFTER I'm already in the car and the key is no longer in the lock. I would like to know why it does that and what is triggering it.
    -------------------

Also, on another vehicle - a Ford Windstar - I had a duplicate transponder key made for it. That key DOES start the engine, but it also causes a tiny red "THEFT" light to blink on the dashboard, and never stops blinking.
    Well the alarm is supposed to go off if the door is being opened and no remote used. That's what triggers it since you are not turning the alarm off with the remote.

Galants don't have anything fancy done on the doors to recognize specific keys and trigger an alarm system. The opening/unlocking of a major security area like a door is what triggers it or maybe you have a faulty alarm system.

1)x2^ didnt think of that its ur remote 4 the alarm not on the ring when u open the door
    2) i wasnt talking about the igition
    3)ford winstar they duplicte key ethier isnt a transponder or u need it reprogrmed ur car isnt reading a code off the key

JoshAce

Alarm isn't alarming neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Probably because you set it off so much, people got used to the sound and got tired of looking out the window, just excuse it as a nuisance.
    No.. it hasn't been set off so much.. It's gone off twice in the past 5 months.. and never before then. Nobody else's alarm goes off around here, and nobody responded to it the first time either. But that isn't suprising. About a month ago, I got knocked off my bicycle and into the middle of the road and lay there for 20 seconds not knowing if I was paralyzed or had broken bones, etc. Not one car stopped, nobody said anything, at least 50 cars - including a cop, drove right by me. When I stood up with blood streaming down two arms and one leg and my head, nobody even slowed down. Last year, while riding my bike past a church, an anxious employee of the church was sitting at the exit of the church parking lot to get onto the street. I was riding along the street, and when I got about 3/4 past that car, he pulled out, hitting my back tire.. knocking me off, breaking my wrist, and he paused for a moment.. then drove off! Another church worker witnessed it and drove after him.. but he wouldn't stop.

JoshAce

Only does it VERY rarely

[QUOTE=RAZ_76;614012]Well the alarm is supposed to go off if the door is being opened and no remote used. That's what triggers it since you are not turning the alarm off with the remote.
    QUOTE]

Well, that car doesn't have a remote. It was bought used. What gets me is that the key does open the lock normally, the key is removed, and 95% of the time the alarm does not go off.

Like I said, the 2 times it went off seemed to happen when I was exiting the car. Perhaps when I pulled the latch to open the trunk. I have pulled that latch dozens of times when it did not trigger the alarm.

I have called car dealers, and all they want to do is charge me hundreds of dollars to make me another key with transponder.

Just because you bought the car without a remote, doesn't mean it doesn't have factory alarm. They all did. Get the remote on ebay under 30 bucks and it will solve your problem.

JoshAce

Mr. Locksmith.. why why o' why do it do this?

1)x2^ didnt think of that its ur remote 4 the alarm not on the ring when u open the door
    There is no remote for that car, bought it used...

Any idea why this key that only opens the door occassionaly results in the alarm going off?

Is there some fuse that can be removed or wire cut to the door lock that will disable this alarm permanently? It is very annoying.

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    weird...they ALL came with a factory alarm? mine didn't. i went aftermarket.

JoshAce

Yay! a solution!

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_76 View Post
    Just because you bought the car without a remote, doesn't mean it doesn't have factory alarm. They all did. Get the remote on ebay under 30 bucks and it will solve your problem.

I'm a noobie when it comes to Ebay... if you could provide me with a copy/pasted or even some key words to search on, I will worship you! hehe..

just disconect the alarm if it was factory and you dont care it shouldnt be hard to locate google the location of it.

i am a locksmith not a car alarm/ mobile electronic guy so info i can give on the alarm is just from my own cars and experiences. usally the experience is my dad ripping an alarm out of one of his cars because its going off lmao

raz_76 mine dosent have alarm at all nd i didnt remove it so unless the prevous owner did ur wrong lol

JoshAce

Thanks! I will try a disconnect

just disconect the alarm if it was factory and you dont care it shouldnt be hard to locate google the location of it.

i am a locksmith not a car alarm/ mobile electronic guy so info i can give on the alarm is just from my own cars and experiences. usally the experience is my dad ripping an alarm out of one of his cars because its going off lmao

raz_76 mine dosent have alarm at all nd i didnt remove it so unless the prevous owner did ur wrong lol
    I will try and disconnect the alarm. I don't know why anyone would intentionally install an alarm system into a car. Nobody pays attention to them, and they don't seem to work! If someone is interested in security, they should buy a gps device and hide it in the car and have it powered by wires linked to the car's battery. Those devices are far cheaper than any alarm system, and they can alert you whenever the car moves, and give you the car's EXACT location in seconds and links directly to both a road map and very accurate satellite aerial maps.

BTW.. my grandparents lived in Ronkonkama NY.

JoshAce

Factory alarms

Quote Originally Posted by o1naturalhigh View Post
    weird...they ALL came with a factory alarm? mine didn't. i went aftermarket.
    I think they all come with a cheapo alarm system, but if you want a good one which actually disables the car, etc. Then you have to pay more.

I will try and disconnect the alarm. I don't know why anyone would intentionally install an alarm system into a car. Nobody pays attention to them, and they don't seem to work! If someone is interested in security, they should buy a gps device and hide it in the car and have it powered by wires linked to the car's battery. Those devices are far cheaper than any alarm system, and they can alert you whenever the car moves, and give you the car's EXACT location in seconds and links directly to both a road map and very accurate satellite aerial maps.

BTW.. my grandparents lived in Ronkonkama NY.
    word lol were u from?

JoshAce

Where in the world...

word lol were u from?
    Levittown

ahh lol and u can hear a "twig snap from 100 feet away.." lmao nd no one on lgi cares about car alarms going off or any alarm for that matter on my block more than once has one gone off for over an hour and also across the street from where i work is an advanced auto parts i cant tell u how many times those dumbasses set off alarms and dont know wtf to do its the most annoying thing when u get to work and a car alarm is going off when u leave from work the same effing car is still going off

JoshAce

Accents.

ahh lol and u can hear a "twig snap from 100 feet away.." lmao nd no one on lgi cares about car alarms going off or any alarm for that matter on my block more than once has one gone off for over an hour and also across the street from where i work is an advanced auto parts i cant tell u how many times those dumbasses set off alarms and dont know wtf to do its the most annoying thing when u get to work and a car alarm is going off when u leave from work the same effing car is still going off
    I don't live in Lonn Gylande anymore..hehe I am trying to mimic a LI accent. My cousin who lives in that area still worked at a seafood restaurant. The funniest thing I can recall him saying was "yeh! an' we get tree fee shimp, evvy uddah nyte!" Which in english is "yes, and we get three free shrimp, every other night". In long island they tend to drop one letter from every word so they can hear themselves talk faster. Usually the letter dropped is an H or an R. That is the opposite of Alabama, where they need to give themselves time to think while they are talking, so they add a syllable to every word. They might say "Yeyas, anuh weun geyuts thahree fahree shariyump evahuhree uhthera niyutt!" hehe

I now live in Florida, where over 20% of the native population can't even read.

When I lived in Loisiana in an apartment complex, there were cars that went off every night for hours. They didn't get attention for breakins, but they did get stuff like bricks thrown at them for making noise!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast