The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My belt get hot

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

My belt get hot

Ok to day my and my father look at my car and when i start it. Than like 30 sec later the belt it hot and soft we let it cool off and see if anything was rubbing and we couldn't see anything what u guys thing is wrong water pump pully?

does it squeal when started? usually when belts get that hot they smoke,and it could be a seized pulley

yea bad and that is a new belt.

Get another belt. Now with the hood opened have someone start the engine while you watch the belt and pulleys. Is one them not turning at about the same speed as the others? If so that one may be seizing up. Let things cool down and now remove the old belt (assuming it did not break while you were looking at the pulleys while the engine was running). Now try turning the puleys by hand. Are any of them really difficult to turn? If so that might be your problem area. Another thing to consider is if any of the mounting bolts for the components that run on the belts are loose it can cause a belt to squeal, smoke and eventually break.

FYI: The reason I had you get another belt before starting is so you have it on hand in case the original belt on the car breaks. This way you can still drive the car because you have the replacement belt on hand.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Experienced TGC Member
    MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED WHEN YOU FINGERS ARE ON THE BELTS. Thats how I lost part of my thumb :(
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

thank you guys it was the P/s pump. easy fix thou.