The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brembo squeal

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Brembo squeal

It is driving me crazy!!! I don't know what's wrong....seems like everytime I'm coming to a stop and apply more pressure, there is always a loud high pitch squeal. Anybody have some suggestions? It is so embarrassing to have nice big brakes and they squeal like that. It's weird though, when I first start driving around and brake, there is not much squeal. But ad I drive around for a while, it gets worse.

I've had the same problem before, if you recently changed pads, that might be the cause, you should get your rotors resurfaced, which cured my squealing immediately , also make sure to use the proper grease for the back of the shims on the pads, as well as lubricating the pins on which the pads slide on and the spring that keeps the pins in place. What pads are you running?? Also, if you didn't bed the pads in correctly this will happen also.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Running hawk ceramic pads. The rotors and pads were all brand new when we installed them. We didn't use any of that red grease stuff. The sound is LOUD and annoying. What causes such a high pitch squeal? Should I change to different pads?

I use permatex moly based brake lube. Comes in a bottle like elmers paste glue. You just brush it on. Keeps everything lubricated even at high temps, and eliminates squeaks.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Exactly what I was gonna say you need to lube it properly ceramic pads shouldn't squeel like that
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Experienced TGC Member
    my hawks suck
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Its the hawks
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

^x2 My hawks pads did the same, finally swapped after being frustrated!
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    yeah. im lucky with my first hawks but my 2nd and 3rd with new rotors were bad. I switched to posiquiet pads for like 40 bucks. no initial bite at all. kinda like having a lag on brakes. lol

Just an update, I ordered project mu pads...hopefully that fixes the problem

hawks are obnoxious, we get evo owners in complaining of squeal and half the time its from them. the other half of the time, its that they did the brakes themselves and forgot to clean up and re-use, or install new, pad hardware. there is unfortunately not much in terms of quality replacement for oem mitsu hardware that will minimize noise, so if you manage to find something, stick with it, but most of the time people just come get the new clips/shims from us

lube everything properly too. it's just extra insurance

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kgalant View Post
    Just an update, I ordered project mu pads...hopefully that fixes the problem

I have these pads and its really not terrible but if you dont lube the pins and spring, it will be noisy. I used disc brake quiet on the back of the shims, and that moly based grease on the shims and spring and it helped a whole lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Im not sure how much more the hawks are but I use EBC brake pads and never had a problem with them. Still using them (EBC red stuff).

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

how hard is it to change the clips and shims on the brembos?

1 out of 10

So i changed out the pads to project mu ones and changed out all the clips and shims. Greased everything up....NO NOISE :)

nice

Experienced TGC Member
    I swapped out to some stop tech pads and all the noise is gone :)
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

i remember having the same problem with my brembo brake pads. you just have to be patient on repairing it.