The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: info on dohc swap!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 40

info on dohc swap!!

hi people so just wanted to share some info i found out today. if anybody is considering doing the dohc swap better look into getting the 4g64 dohc headgasket soon i was on the phone with mitsu tday and they said there are only 6 well 5 now 4g64 dohc headgaskets left in the united states. jnz tuning and mapperformance get these gaskets from the mistu warehouses also so looks like they are getting scarse.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    also as a note, any 4g63 head gasket can be substituted as long as you bored the gasket to the proper bore, so dont worry.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    is this really true? if so i will order a spare DOHC headgasket....don't want to based off just one post though...no offense
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i don't have proof of this, was talking to the guy from mitsubishi on the phone and when he was looking it up and he said "looks like i can get the gasket but its a special order" then i said how long and he said a week or so. then he went on to say looks to be only 6 left in the united states. probably meaning that they only show 6 left in stock in there warehouses but im sure some performance places and or auto stores have to stock some of these gasket but finding who and where would be kinda a task. otherwise they can probably get some from overseas or i did come across some websites that specially make head gaskets. so for it being 100 percent true i dunno im just going off of what the dude at mitsu said but rather be safe than sorry. it cost me 97 bucks to get it over night shipped and it still took 2 and half days. i went to orielly auto part, carquest, and bumper to bumper and the gasket that comes up for a 94 galant gs dohc is the single overhead cam gasket. i explained this to oriellys and they are contacting their main office to sort it out. would kinda suck if somebody that has a 94 galant gs needed this gasket and they go to a parts store to get it and they give u a sohc gasket. i ended up catching it before i installed it thank god. just food for thought though :)

i guess you could call ur local mitsu dealer and ask how many of these md189436 gaskets they have left or i can tomorrow. as for boring out a 63 gasket not sure how good this would work cause the gaskets have a metal ring where it goes around the cylinder

like i said, any 4g63 head gasket can be substituted, all you have to do is bore the gasket to match our bore
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

but there is that metal ring that goes around the cylinder how would u be able to bore it ya know what im saying?

Quote Originally Posted by allrice4g64 View Post
    but there is that metal ring that goes around the cylinder how would u be able to bore it ya know what im saying?
    either bore the 63 gasket by just punching it to match( watched the machine shop do it many times) or get an 86.5 bore 63 aftermarket gasket
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

well, really i dont think that, some parts to 88's cars, like pistons, gaskets etc, keep in market, why the galant dont xD!

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    because who the hell owns a galant??
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

its mostly because it was only made for one year and now that is over 15 years old, OEM parts are no longer produced. so once the dealer stock is out, aftermarket and no name is the way to go
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

ok so i just want to make some stuff clear for people that are doing the headswap and search and may read this post. do NOTfollow this link to do the headswap http://www.galanttuners.com/kb.php?a=64 some of the information on here is not correct. such as it says to use a 4g63 head gasket.... you can but you will have to bore it. just get a 4g64 dohc headgasket. it also has a picture of how to advance timing the picture is NOT correct!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]the intake cam has to sit a half a tooth above the exhaust cam. i have had alot of trouble because of the picture on this site. The 4g64 dohc timing belt number is MD182292 and it is a 154 teeth it is one more tooth than the 4g63 timing belt which is 153 teeth, thus is why u have to advance timing a half a tooth on each cam. The headgasket number is MD189436 and should not be bought from any auto parts stores i went through 3 differnt stores and they all gave me the sohc gasket. i highly recomend getting all the parts from a mitsu dealer. Dont make the same mistakes i did.
    Last edited by allrice4g64; 09-20-2010 at 04:35 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    Speaking from experience here. 98% of all the tutorials ive read are wrong. The only accurate ones ive found was from matt (peanotation) from socallifestyle.

once i get everything done and right im gonna take like a full day and write a correct tutorial step bye step picture bye picture. all the incorrect info made it way way way harder than it actually is.
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

Experienced TGC Member
    yea. I know the feeling. Ive done alot of shit to my car and the in depth tutorials suck ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    Speaking from experience here. 98% of all the tutorials ive read are wrong. The only accurate ones ive found was from matt (peanotation) from socallifestyle.
    this is so true. he plans on doing the headswap so maybe one day there will be a correct one on it unless me or rice gets to it.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

I could write one just to boring and long to do lol

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    I could write one just to boring and long to do lol
    that what im saying. i dont have the time
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

nor have you dont it so.....

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

TGC Regular
    Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast